More Hc Debate

GrandGreen

I hope the decision to retain Dodge or go another direction has already been made. I fail to see how the last ball game could have tilted the balance in any direction. The question is not whether Dodge was a good hire, I think most of us realize at least in hindsight that he was not ready for the position. However, that is not the question. The question is, does Dodge provide the best chance to move the program forward or is it time to make a change. Everyone has an opinion, but few have the insight to make the call. Pending turnover, NT will have twenty returning starters plus some heralded transfers coming back next year. The talent is almost there to be a serious contender. The puzzle is whether Dodge and staff are the best option to steer this team or does NT have a better chance with a new coaching staff. It is RV's job to know the answer to that question. The same AD that took a big gamble on hiring a high school coach in the first place and then approved the formation of the least experienced coaching staff in decades. It is also only the AD and a few others that know what the true chemistry of this team is. Can Dodge be the leader of the program going forward or has he lost the necessary creditability among the staff and players to be effective?

I would hope that RV if he has decided to release Dodge, has already got a replacement; an established coach with a high profitability of success. If that is not the case and it is determined that Dodge still has a good relationship with staff and players, than I would be aboard with giving Dodge another year. Not because Dodge deserves another year, but because he provides the best possibility of turning the program around next year. The worst thing that could happen, is for Dodge to be terminated and a new coach brought in that falters badly in the first year. At least if Dodge failed again next year, you still have the option of bringing in a new staff with the opening of the stadium next year.

I hope the decision to retain Dodge or go another direction has already been made. I fail to see how the last ball game could have tilted the balance in any direction. The question is not whether Dodge was a good hire, I think most of us realize at least in hindsight that he was not ready for the position. However, that is not the question. The question is, does Dodge provide the best chance to move the program forward or is it time to make a change. Everyone has an opinion, but few have the insight to make the call. Pending turnover, NT will have twenty returning starters plus some heralded transfers coming back next year. The talent is almost there to be a serious contender. The puzzle is whether Dodge and staff are the best option to steer this team or does NT have a better chance with a new coaching staff. It is RV's job to know the answer to that question. The same AD that took a big gamble on hiring a high school coach in the first place and then approved the formation of the least experienced coaching staff in decades. It is also only the AD and a few others that know what the true chemistry of this team is. Can Dodge be the leader of the program going forward or has he lost the necessary creditability among the staff and players to be effective?

I would hope that RV if he has decided to release Dodge, has already got a replacement; an established coach with a high profitability of success. If that is not the case and it is determined that Dodge still has a good relationship with staff and players, than I would be aboard with giving Dodge another year. Not because Dodge deserves another year, but because he provides the best possibility of turning the program around next year. The worst thing that could happen, is for Dodge to be terminated and a new coach brought in that falters badly in the first year. At least if Dodge failed again next year, you still have the option of bringing in a new staff with the opening of the stadium next year.

I'm tired of rebuilding, so I have to admit that I want to give him one more year. It's a crapshoot to think that he will suddenly become a decent coach at this level, but I guess I'm willing to take the gamble at this point. I know that RV is not our X's and O's football coach, but I hope that he very firmly questions some of TD's tactics and decision making at this level. As his boss, I guess he's about the only person in the position to do so.

[/quote

this is the most intelligent summary of our current conumdrum ever posted. thanks, ward white

I posted my opinion on what we should do on the Fran thread... but for here, let me just say that Louisville has already fired Kragthorpe and Virginia has done in Groh. Likewise, Colorado has committed that Hawkins is back. There is no excuse for a decision to not be made. Frankly, if Dodge were coming BACK, that decision should have already been made and announced ASAP, lest we not be hurting ourselves in recruiting.

If he's NOT coming back, which I believe all signs point to (though you never know at UNT), every day we wait is detrimental to the cause.

I posted my opinion on what we should do on the Fran thread... but for here, let me just say that Louisville has already fired Kragthorpe and Virginia has done in Groh. Likewise, Colorado has committed that Hawkins is back. There is no excuse for a decision to not be made. Frankly, if Dodge were coming BACK, that decision should have already been made and announced ASAP, lest we not be hurting ourselves in recruiting.

If he's NOT coming back, which I believe all signs point to (though you never know at UNT), every day we wait is detrimental to the cause.

This virtually my whole point to the question I ask in the thread down the page. I don't get why it is so hard to decide and announce it. Make it, be done with it and move on like every other University out there. Its really not that hard.

RV is taking back to back timeouts before he makes up his mind. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a delay of game or too as well before the final decision is made

"Dodge still has a good relationship with staff and players"

This statement is most important to me. Do the PLAYERS have confidence in TD ? One of the things I liked about Dodge when he was hired was his winning attitude, confidence and swagger. Lately, he seems to have lost his confidence a bit. If he loses confidence in himself, then the players will lose confidence in him.

Maybe that is why it is going to take a few days to figure this thing out. I think RV needs to gauge the players feelings going into next year.

Edited by akriesman

I agree with GrandGreen. If RV can determine that indeed Dodge has not lost the players, I could hesitantly take Dodge with the understanding bowl eligibility is the minimum acceptable. We cannot say a bowl game because no one at UNT can guarantee that.

Wonder if Kraigthorpe's players liked him? What about Jim Wacker at TCU? Wait, Trilli?

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

Wonder if Kraigthorpe's players liked him? What about Jim Wacker at TCU? Wait, Trilli?

Did anyone say the players had to like Dodge? The question posed was if Dodge still had creditability enough to lead the team. I don't care if the team likes him, but they do have to have enough confidence in his ability to follow his direction.

"Dodge still has a good relationship with staff and players"

This statement is most important to me. Do the PLAYERS have confidence in TD ? One of the things I liked about Dodge when he was hired was his winning attitude, confidence and swagger. Lately, he seems to have lost his confidence a bit. If he loses confidence in himself, then the players will lose confidence in him.

Maybe that is why it is going to take a few days to figure this thing out. I think RV needs to gauge the players feelings going into next year.

Micah Mosley's father had an excellent post on the confidence of the team toward Coach Dodge.......it was very positive....

perhaps someone can repost his comments.