Mark My Words...

BIG DAWG

The way I am hearing it from someone who has never failed me before in getting me solid info, Dodge is going to be brought back...the last of the high school guys are gone (George and Ford), and they (RV and the powers that be) are leaning towards having the new OC take play calling duties away from Dodge so he can focus on his head coaching responsibilities during the game.

I personally think, not that my opinion weighs any more or less than anyone elses, that this is the right move to keep him for one more year...BUT THE BEST MOVE OF ALL THIS if it does indeed transpire like this, would be calling in a play caller to allow Dodge to focus on coaching the game. I have never been a fan of a head coach calling plays...too much to do for one guy!

Sorry for those of you that this will piss off, but I will see you one way or another (fired or retained) next season!

GO MEAN GREEN WITH OR WITHOUT TODD DODGE...I will be there regardless!!!

The way I am hearing it from someone who has never failed me before in getting me solid info, Dodge is going to be brought back...the last of the high school guys are gone (George and Ford), and they (RV and the powers that be) are leaning towards having the new OC take play calling duties away from Dodge so he can focus on his head coaching responsibilities during the game.

I personally think, not that my opinion weighs any more or less than anyone elses, that this is the right move to keep him for one more year...BUT THE BEST MOVE OF ALL THIS if it does indeed transpire like this, would be calling in a play caller to allow Dodge to focus on coaching the game. I have never been a fan of a head coach calling plays...too much to do for one guy!

Sorry for those of you that this will piss off, but I will see you one way or another (fired or retained) next season!

Well hopefully we can get an OC in here with actual college football credentials.

Well hopefully we can get an OC in here with actual college football credentials.

It will be mandatory for any of Dodge's hires...and something that I am pretty sure RV will make sure of for the rest of his career as an AD anywhere he is at!

Edited by BIG DAWG

It would be interesting, I wonder if Dodge would except this scenario. This would fit some of what I heard, in that several options were being pursued.

I hope that if this staff stays in some combination they crank up the practices, we never look fully prepared on game day, and we have faded the end of the 3rd and into the 4th which tells me practice is lacking.

I still think other options besides this are being pursued, last week I got the feeling that it was somewhat out of RV's hands.

It would be interesting, I wonder if Dodge would except this scenario. This would fit some of what I heard, in that several options were being pursued.

I hope that if this staff stays in some combination they crank up the practices, we never look fully prepared on game day, and we have faded the end of the 3rd and into the 4th which tells me practice is lacking.

I still think other options besides this are being pursued, last week I got the feeling that it was somewhat out of RV's hands.

This fits with what I have heard as well.

This is the exact scenario I've been proposing if Dodge stays.

Look, it's clear that Todd Dodge has something. But, it's him that has it, or had it, not his high school assistants - offensive or defensive.

The worst lapse in judgement was ever letting Todd Dodge hire any other high school coaches. The sheer number that he brought on was absurd. Also, recall that the original secondary coach was a guy who hadn't coached in 13 years, but who had been out in the business world, Butch LaCroix. (Hey, Rick - I've been out in the business world for about 20 years. Hire me! :blink: )

At the time, many of us said it was arrogant, stupidity or both to have that many inexperienced coaches on a I-A/FBS coaching staff. Everyone else waited in the pumpkin patch with Linus, waiting on the Great Pumpkin to arrive.

Anyway, I think we've already got a guy on staff who can call offenses at this level in Petersen. He was Air Force's OC for several Falcon bowl seasons. He's coached wide receivers and quarterbacks. Make him the Co-OC/WR coach and kill two birds with one stone, moneywise.

Take OL coach Spencer Leftwich and make him the Co-OC Run Game Coordinator/OL coach. I'd hire Andy Brewster away from Cisco JC (surely we can pay more than Cisco JC) and make him TE coach...and really use the tight ends for a change.

On the defensive side, have Deloach and Buckels coach the secondary. Hire in Chris Hurd from Cisco to coach the linebackers. Keep everything else the same. Or, I'd even go for hiring Kenny Evans back in as co-defensive coordinator/LB coach. He can't be making that much jack up at the Division II Oklahoma school.

Dodge's problem was that he came in here and tried to run the thing top down with amateurs everywhere. It can't be done. You can't be so dadgum nitpicky and overbearing that you have assistants chewing out guys on the sideline for cussing during a game. It's ridiculous. Players need to feel that they can show emotion at some points in a game. Letting a guy drop an F-bomb during a game isn't the end of the world.

In the end, I predicted we'd go 3-9 and we went 2-10. I'm disappointed. I'm happy if we get a new coach. But, the only way I'm happy with Dodge staying is if the last vestiges of the original unwise hires is cleared away.

If we do something similar to what I've suggested, we don't have to spend a ton of money doing it either. So, whomever Rick's current board spy is, print out this post and give it to him the next time he summons you.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

This is the exact scenario I've been proposing if Dodge stays.

Look, it's clear that Todd Dodge has something. But, it's him that has it, or had it, not his high school assistants - offensive or defensive.

The worst lapse in judgement was ever letting Todd Dodge hire any other high school coaches. The sheer number that he brought on was absurd. Also, recall that the original secondary coach was a guy who hadn't coached in 13 years, but who had been out in the business world, Butch LaCroix. (Hey, Rick - I've been out in the business world for about 20 years. Hire me! :blink: )

At the time, many of us said it was arrogant, stupidity or both to have that many inexperienced coaches on a I-A/FBS coaching staff. Everyone else waited in the pumpkin patch with Linus, waiting on the Great Pumpkin to arrive.

Anyway, I think we've already got a guy on staff who can call offenses at this level in Petersen. He was Air Force's OC for several Falcon bowl seasons. He's coached wide receivers and quarterbacks. Make him the Co-OC/WR coach and kill two birds with one stone, moneywise.

Take OL coach Spencer Leftwich and make him the Co-OC Run Game Coordinator/OL coach. I'd hire Andy Brewster away from Cisco JC (surely we can pay more than Cisco JC) and make him TE coach...and really use the tight ends for a change.

On the defensive side, have Deloach and Buckels coach the secondary. Hire in Chris Hurd from Cisco to coach the linebackers. Keep everything else the same. Or, I'd even go for hiring Kenny Evans back in as co-defensive coordinator/LB coach. He can't be making that much jack up at the Division II Oklahoma school.

Dodge's problem was that he came in here and tried to run the thing top down with amateurs everywhere. It can't be done. You can't be so dadgum nitpicky and overbearing that you have assistants chewing out guys on the sideline for cussing during a game. It's ridiculous. Players need to feel that they can show emotion at some points in a game. Letting a guy drop an F-bomb during a game isn't the end of the world.

In the end, I predicted we'd go 3-9 and we went 2-10. I'm disappointed. I'm happy if we get a new coach. But, the only way I'm happy with Dodge staying is if the last vestiges of the original unwise hires is cleared away.

If we do something similar to what I've suggested, we don't have to spend a ton of money doing it either. So, whomever Rick's current board spy is, print out this post and give it to him the next time he summons you.

Lonnie, do you really think there is that much difference between Class 5A ball and junior college ball? I don't. I appreciate what Hurd and Brewster did here, but they need to gain a lot more experience as college coaches, get some skins as you have said we need, before moving up to Div 1, most especially at their alma mater. Sorry, I just do not see how bringing those guys back is an improvement.

Lonnie, do you really think there is that much difference between Class 5A ball and junior college ball? I don't. I appreciate what Hurd and Brewster did here, but they need to gain a lot more experience as college coaches, get some skins as you have said we need, before moving up to Div 1, most especially at their alma mater. Sorry, I just do not see how bringing those guys back is an improvement.

There is a difference between 5A & JC Ball. Lots of failed qualifiers end up at the JC ranks. You're severely underestimating the talent at that level.

• Upvote 1

There is a difference between 5A & JC Ball. Lots of failed qualifiers end up at the JC ranks. You're severely underestimating the talent at that level.

I thought we wanted coaches with college experience. Sorry, I took that to mean "Div. 1" experience. Still don't think the difference is that much as it relates to what we need on our coaching staff. We need coaches with Div. 1 coaching experience. I don't think junior college coaching counts as that.

There's ways I can be ok with this. I think there has to be some delegation; it has seemed to me as if Dodge was micromanaging games. To me, I like the idea of the head coach deciding whether to go for it on 4th and short, but I'd prefer an offensive coordinator to decide what play to run. Plus, a situation like this might attract better candidates for assistant positions. Anyone remember Jerry Glanville leaving Portland State recently? Mouse Davis, who had resigned as his OC before the season started, said after Glanville's "resignation" that he had been promised a free hand running the offense when they left Hawaii and went to Portland State together, and that Glanville went back on that, started tinkering with the offense, and "completely changed it". Mind you, I'm not suggesting either of those guys ever be brought here, just using it as an example (and keep in mind that Davis brought the "run and shoot" to Hawaii, and had mentored quarterbacks like Neil Lomax at PSU).

Edited by eulessismore

My neighbor's dog, which has never failed to provide me with solid "stuff", told me that Dodge will accept an assignment as Zamboni driver for the Stars during UNT night, and that Jimmy Johnson, eager to coach in the mini-Jerryworld, will accept a contract to become head coach of the Mean Green, bring along Butch Davis as D coordinator and Norv Turner as the Offensive coordinator.

No one knows for certain but RV and the Pres. whether or not Dodge will be back.

I told you not to say anything you piehole!!!!!!!!!

I've never been more confident, not on the LaCroix resignation, not on the Mendoza firing, not on the DeLoach hiring, than I am about the Dodge situation.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut repeatedly.