Jeff Bower Bio

Marty

Bower was also on the SMU staff from 1982 to 1986 as the quarterbacks coach under Bobby Collins. So, he was part of the staff that received the death penalty after the 86 season. Don't have a clue if he knew what was going on or not, but I would not want to take a chance given the fact we are so close to SMU and many of you believe we compete with them for recruits. For those who enjoy reading the SMU board, I am sure a move like this would create plenty of chatter.

Bower was also on the SMU staff from 1982 to 1986 as the quarterbacks coach under Bobby Collins. So, he was part of the staff that received the death penalty after the 86 season. Don't have a clue if he knew what was going on or not, but I would not want to take a chance given the fact we are so close to SMU and many of you believe we compete with them for recruits. For those who enjoy reading the SMU board, I am sure a move like this would create plenty of chatter.

No one at SMU didn't know. If you can find a copy, read "A Payroll To Meet" by Dan Whitford. He got interviews with most of the people involved. Fascinating combination of arrogance by some with quite a bit of group think by a lot - "I don't like this, but since everyone else agrees I won't rock the boat."

As for that excluding him, it was 25 years ago and I think most of the people involved have learned to speak up when they think something is wrong.

He resigned. He's a perfect fit - experience, achievement, and he worked with RV.

His bio is very impressive. I have to wonder if a good bit of his drive to succeed was because he was coaching for his alma mater. Plus he was operating, coaching wise and recruiting wise, on his home turf. This is North Texas, and we have our own unique personality and issues.

Bower's run at USM ends contentiously

Though he resigned after 17 years as head coach, a terse Bower did not sound like it was completely voluntary.

"I want you to know there's a lot of fight left in Jeff Bower, and I am not done yet," the grim-faced coach said.

Bower did not take questions after making a short statement flanked by his wife and daughter. He resigned earlier Monday after meeting with athletic director Richard Giannini.

Giannini said fan discontent had grown during a season when the Golden Eagles were expected to win the Conference USA title, but fell short at 7-5.

"I said all along I was disappointed

Rick

Jeff Bower is a great football coach. No, he didn't resign at USM. He was terminated. Yes, officially he resigned, but he would have been fired if he hadn't. Jeff had lost some fire after 17 years, but I am convinced he would take a new job and with a recharged battery now, he would do great things at UNT.

The USM idiots that ran him off, were convinced that Larry Fedora, the new coach, who was given twice the money as Bower and five times the recruiting budget, would do great things. Well, Fedora is 6-6 and 7-6 in his two seasons. No better than Bower was doing when he was run off.

UNT could make no better hire than Jeff Bower. He is well respected by the coaching fraternity and would be able to hire a great staff. Anyway, good luck on whatever happens in Denton.