Dear Mean Green Qb/wildcat Offense Debaters.....

FirefightnRick

Also Dodge answered this question in the post game show. He said that they did not have time to run the wildcat their only hope was passing. That if they had been in a different situation he made mention of Darius Carey running the wildcat.

Yes, they have the formation. It has mainly been used in short yardage/goal line.

Here is the Thompson drive:

Nt 1-10 at Nt32 NORTH TEXAS drive start at 02:42.

Nt 1-10 at Nt32 Thompson, D. pass complete to Dunbar, Lance for 31 yards to the ASU37, 1ST DOWN NT, out-of-bounds (McCray, Kelcie).

Nt 1-10 at Asu37 Thompson, D. pass complete to Lewis, B.J. for 10 yards to the ASU27, 1ST DOWN NT (Davis, Demario).

Nt 1-10 at Asu27 Dunbar, Lance rush for 8 yards to the ASU19 (Brown, Marcus).

Nt 2-2 at Asu19 Thompson, D. pass complete to Jackson, Jamaal for 19 yards to the ASU0, 1ST DOWN NT, TOUCHDOWN, clock 01:25.

Rick, can you honestly tell me that: 1) You believe they could have driven almost 70 yards in around a minute and 20 seconds with the Wildcat? 2) That if you were coaching you would have been fine with telling the team the game didn't matter and were not going to keep trying to come back.

Dodge should have been playing this kid all year or at least Tune but he let nepotism get in the way and wasted an entire season for the team, the school and the fans.

He should be fired and he knows it!

Edited by meangreenbob

Yes, they have the formation. It has mainly been used in short yardage/goal line.

Here is the Thompson drive:

Nt 1-10 at Nt32 NORTH TEXAS drive start at 02:42.

Nt 1-10 at Nt32 Thompson, D. pass complete to Dunbar, Lance for 31 yards to the ASU37, 1ST DOWN NT, out-of-bounds (McCray, Kelcie).

Nt 1-10 at Asu37 Thompson, D. pass complete to Lewis, B.J. for 10 yards to the ASU27, 1ST DOWN NT (Davis, Demario).

Nt 1-10 at Asu27 Dunbar, Lance rush for 8 yards to the ASU19 (Brown, Marcus).

Nt 2-2 at Asu19 Thompson, D. pass complete to Jackson, Jamaal for 19 yards to the ASU0, 1ST DOWN NT, TOUCHDOWN, clock 01:25.

Rick, can you honestly tell me that: 1) You believe they could have driven almost 70 yards in around a minute and 20 seconds with the Wildcat? 2) That if you were coaching you would have been fine with telling the team the game didn't matter and were not going to keep trying to come back.

Would you tell me if scoring one more td made any difference? The likelihood of scoring another was remote at best, and even if that miracle would have happened; would a victory been worth a year lost for a promising QB. Disregarding the possibility that running out of the wildcat was as likely to be as effective as a never used QB performing. Thompson did do great and NT scored a meaningless td to get closer to beating a 3-8 team.

I can't think of anyway using a year of eligibility for Thompson was worth a minute chance at ending the season 3-9. It even makes less sense than using Kyle White in the Alabama game, playing him a few series and losing his redshirt year.

Would you tell me if scoring one more td made any difference? The likelihood of scoring another was remote at best, and even if that miracle would have happened; would a victory been worth a year lost for a promising QB. Disregarding the possibility that running out of the wildcat was as likely to be as effective as a never used QB performing. Thompson did do great and NT scored a meaningless td to get closer to beating a 3-8 team.

I can't think of anyway using a year of eligibility for Thompson was worth a minute chance at ending the season 3-9.

Agree. It was a poor decision and a waste of 1/4 the career of a promising QB for UNT.

I know Tune got hurt on a previous 2 point conversion attempt, but why didn't we go for 2 when we scored late in the 4th qtr, especially since we've had numerous PATs blocked throughout the season? That would have allowed for a field goal to win the game.

Rick, can you honestly tell me that: 1) You believe they could have driven almost 70 yards in around a minute and 20 seconds with the Wildcat?

can you prove they could not have? dunbar can run 70 yards in under 15 seconds. he has several long runs this season. you are trying to make cheese out of stink.

Dodge should have been playing this kid all year or at least Tune but he let nepotism get in the way and wasted an entire season for the team, the school and the fans.

He should be fired and he knows it!

I agree with the nepotism comment. I don't think he will give anyone a fighting chance at the job as long as a healthy Riley is around. Riley should be a slot receiver and backup QB in my opinion. Please don't anyone say he should be a DB. Could you imagine him routinely taking on TE's and OL's? I wish him the best and hope that he heals well, but how could TD claim that Riley weighs 195 pounds? I saw him close up in street clothes, and if he weighs 195 he sure does do a good job hiding it.

I agree with the nepotism comment. I don't think he will give anyone a fighting chance at the job as long as a healthy Riley is around. Riley should be a slot receiver and backup QB in my opinion. Please don't anyone say he should be a DB. Could you imagine him routinely taking on TE's and OL's? I wish him the best and hope that he heals well, but how could TD claim that Riley weighs 195 pounds? I saw him close up in street clothes, and if he weighs 195 he sure does do a good job hiding it.

Of course you must be right and every recruiter in the nation was wrong about Riley.

Nathan is a great kid, but there is a reason he was not recruited by other schools.

Are you one of those guys are carnivals who guess a persons weight?

Of course you must be right and every recruiter in the nation was wrong about Riley.

Nathan is a great kid, but there is a reason he was not recruited by other schools.

Are you one of those guys are carnivals who guess a persons weight?

Gee, so sorry to get in the way of your mancrush, but your post makes no sense. I sad nothing about Nathan, and please explain the details to me in regard to "every recruiter in the nation" projecting and recruiting Riley as a QB. If you think Riley is 6' 195 pounds maybe you should take a video of him and examine it frame by frame and reach your own conclusions. In case you didn't notice, this board is for expressing one's opinions, and you are welcome to your's no matter how skewed it may be.

Gee, so sorry to get in the way of your mancrush, but your post makes no sense. I sad nothing about Nathan, and please explain the details to me in regard to "every recruiter in the nation" projecting and recruiting Riley as a QB. If you think Riley is 6' 195 pounds maybe you should take a video of him and examine it frame by frame and reach your own conclusions. In case you didn't notice, this board is for expressing one's opinions, and you are welcome to your's no matter how skewed it may be.

LOL! I suspect that video would show you to be correct. I've never been overly concerned about his height but the weight is an issue to me. I don't know whether or not Riley is going to pan out as a reasonably durable and high quality D1 QB, but I just want the other QB candidates to get a fair shake to win the job. I'm not so sure that is possible. To tell ya the truth, I'm not so sure I would be unbiased if I were TD and my son was RD. Blood is thicker than water I guess. Get well soon Riley.

Also Dodge answered this question in the post game show. He said that they did not have time to run the wildcat their only hope was passing. That if they had been in a different situation he made mention of Darius Carey running the wildcat.

Did he give any reason why he had his team uninspired and unprepared to start the game?

I know Tune got hurt on a previous 2 point conversion attempt, but why didn't we go for 2 when we scored late in the 4th qtr, especially since we've had numerous PATs blocked throughout the season? That would have allowed for a field goal to win the game.

Why did we punt the ball down 16 I think, with under 5 minutes to go when it was 4th and 16?

Why did we punt the ball down 16 I think, with under 5 minutes to go when it was 4th and 16?

That decision had me yelling at the radio as well. It appeared to be our last chance to win, and what the hell did we have to lose? Who cares if we lose by 16, 19, or 23 at this point? Would it hurt our BCS computer ranking or put us in a lesser bowl game or what? Grasping at that last chance for a win was the only choice for me.

Did he give any reason why he had his team uninspired and unprepared to start the game?

If he comes back next year, maybe we should follow the lead of Who Wants to be a Millionaire when he has to make crucial decisions? We can give him "lifelines" to famous head coaches and also let the audience make decisions for him. Interesting concept, that would keep him from taking all the heat for our losses. <_<

If he comes back next year, maybe we should follow the lead of Who Wants to be a Millionaire when he has to make crucial decisions? We can give him "lifelines" to famous head coaches and also let the audience make decisions for him. Interesting concept, that would keep him from taking all the heat for our losses. <_<

The Chicago Cubs one year did something similar to this. I can't tell you the year or the coach or anything , maybe I'll look it up. It went something like the owner gave signs to the fans , like steal , take a pitch , etc. .. something like that , and when a situation came up fans put their signs up and got to decide what to do. I believe this was a game in the 60s or 70s

The Chicago Cubs one year did something similar to this. I can't tell you the year or the coach or anything , maybe I'll look it up. It went something like the owner gave signs to the fans , like steal , take a pitch , etc. .. something like that , and when a situation came up fans put their signs up and got to decide what to do. I believe this was a game in the 60s or 70s

We had better not do this on the night we have 5 cent beer at Fouts or the new stadium, and give away bats commemorating the re-start of our baseball program.

We had better not do this on the night we have 5 cent beer at Fouts or the new stadium, and give away bats commemorating the re-start of our baseball program.

For what it's worth, and it may not matter all that much, how how many here are aware that Derek Thompson was district MVP in baseball for Glen Rose one year. He has also played basketball and tennis for Glen Rose.

For what it's worth, and it may not matter all that much, how how many here are aware that Derek Thompson was district MVP in baseball for Glen Rose one year. He has also played basketball and tennis for Glen Rose.

Me. He could have played baseball at the next level and many fans in Glen Rose had hoped he would. He is a fantastic all around athlete for sure. I look forward to seeing what he can do the next 3 years.

97and03

I didn't start this thread to give my oppinion on the decision to cut one of our promising players playing career short or not, I started it because so many people in their postings yesterday seemed convinced that we don't run this formation when in fact we have all season long.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick