What's The Big Deal?

THOR

why is everyone so damn irate over burning this kids redshirt???

he was an unheralded 2 star qb out of glen rose. it's not like it's some blue chip player who was really going to help the program by having an extra year. thompson looked good out there and i love the fact that he is 6'4", but it's just another quarterback at north texas. javia hall is coming in next year, hopefully, and if he doesn't well, there's plenty of time to find another two star qb.

i must be really dumb in this stuff, but i don't see the big deal that eveyrone is making this out to be.

how do you know??? maybe he wanted the chance to prove that he can play. maybe he's a team player and understood that he was the only qb left and wanted to try and help win the game.

if you're his father or were down on the sideline and heard the conversation between dodge and thompson, maybe you know...other than that...you're guessing

how do you know??? maybe he wanted the chance to prove that he can play. maybe he's a team player and understood that he was the only qb left and wanted to try and help win the game.

if you're his father or were down on the sideline and heard the conversation between dodge and thompson, maybe you know...other than that...you're guessing

WHO CARES WHAT THE KID WANTED!

Dodge is supposed to be the adult. He is supposed to look out for the best interest of his players, and no way in hell did he look out for the best interest of Derek Thompson. You can apologize for Dodge all you want, but this is simply disgraceful.

Dodge is supposed to be the adult. He is supposed to look out for the best interest of his players, and no way in hell did he look out for the best interest of Derek Thompson. You can apologize for Dodge all you want, but this is simply disgraceful.

really???? it doesn't matter if the kid wanted to prove himself??? wow....i don't know what else to say....wow....

Do you remember a true freshman that played named Matt Phillips? He never redshirted and spent his senior year as the holder on the field goal team. How are you so sure that Thompson wants to be a fifth year senior?

So my guess is that Thompson wants to play 4 years of college football and yours is he wants to play 3. I would guess that my guess is better than your guess

So my guess is that Thompson wants to play 4 years of college football and yours is he wants to play 3. I would guess that my guess is better than your guess

then you and ntsueagle are much smarter than i.

when i was in college, i actually made it through with my limited brains, i wanted to get out after four years, not take my time to play a sport that wouldn't be my career anyway.

he was an unheralded 2 star qb out of glen rose. it's not like it's some blue chip player who was really going to help the program by having an extra year. thompson looked good out there and i love the fact that he is 6'4", but it's just another quarterback at north texas.

While I'm not a fan of the decision (And, in fact, in the chat I stated that IF Tune went down, I would just run the wildcat or something), this is how I see it. Yes, it sucks for Thompson, but I don't see it as that big of a deal for the football program.

He can redshirt next year. Also - he would have been behind two QB's for at least 2 more years so he was never going to get to play 4 years. He is not the starter, in fact he was third string. I am sure that there are LOTS of players that would like all four years but red shirts get pulled all the time. Ask yourself this - if this was a kicker's shirt being pulled because all other options had been injured - would you be crying foul? What about any other position? Linebacker? How about a wide receiver? How about a running back? Just because the kid is a QB, people seem to put more emphasis on the decision being a bad one. A coach tries to win. The D was told, if you make a stop - I will give you a QB. The D made a stop, he gave them a QB. Maybe not the brightest decision but not a vengeful decision - they guy is just not a hurtful person like that.

Guest GrayEagleOne

For whatever reason Chaise Baine did not make the trip to Jonesboro and Derek Thompson did. Still, with ridiculous odds of getting two scores in 2:42, I think that he should've put Hamilton, Carey or other ex-quarterbacks in to run the last possession.

It sounded as if Todd is resigned to the fact that he won't be back next season. He thanked the players for their efforts for he and the coaching staff this year in the postgame interview. He later talked about the eight seniors that made the trip. Maybe his return hinged on winning this game. If so, Derek Thompson gave him the best chance for that to happen.

On second thought if winning this game was that important, wouldn't you come better prepared? Being down 27 to nothing doesn't sound ready to play to me.

For whatever reason Chaise Baine did not make the trip to Jonesboro and Derek Thompson did. Still, with ridiculous odds of getting two scores in 2:42, I think that he should've put Hamilton, Carey or other ex-quarterbacks in to run the last possession.

It sounded as if Todd is resigned to the fact that he won't be back next season. He thanked the players for their efforts for he and the coaching staff this year in the postgame interview. He later talked about the eight seniors that made the trip. Maybe his return hinged on winning this game. If so, Derek Thompson gave him the best chance for that to happen.

On second thought if winning this game was that important, wouldn't you come better prepared? Being down 27 to nothing doesn't sound ready to play to me.

This team rarely came out ready to play. Oh well. Make the change administration.

Coach Dodge made the correct decision going with the best available players for the win. No way do you play to loose by putting in another athlete who does not take snaps as a qb.

Coaches have to make tough decisions just like everyone else in life. It had to be tough on the coach with his son going down with a broken arm and Tune with his collar in one game.

Play to win or don't play at all.

Redshirts are not guaranteed........every player and coach knows that when they suit up for every game.

Edited by eulesseagle

maybe Dodge figured he would go pro after next season anyway, so the redshirt would have been a moot point.

Underrated.

Our fans are incredible. It's no wonder this board is referred to as the "idiot board". Everyone raise your hand if you thought at the beginning of the season Thompson was/is going to start here for the next 4 years. Nothing is guaranteed in this world - like playing quarterback for your school's team. All of you who act like Dodge somehow hurt this kids' college career need to remember that he actually could have helped it.

The coach is there to make tough game-time decisions for the football program and try to win games. I'm sure Dodge didn't think twice about going to the next QB on his depth chart, or have a conference with him and his parents before burning a redshirt during a game. I'm damn glad he didn't consult any of you before making that decision either. If a coach is truly supposed to look out for the best interests of his players, we wouldn't have practice squads or starting QBs. Everyone would get equal time at the position of their choice.

Coach Dodge made the correct decision going with the best available players for the win. No way do you play to loose by putting in another athlete who does not take snaps as a qb.

Coaches have to make tough decisions just like everyone else in life. It had to be tough on the coach with his son going down with a broken arm and Tune with his collar in one game.

Play to win or don't play at all.

Redshirts are not guaranteed........every player and coach knows that when they suit up for every game.

Play to win like NT vs Alabama or Kansas State or just play to win against bad teams. I guess there would be few redshirts in your world. The coach should do what is best for the overall program. Thompson may never see the field again or he could turn into a championship QB who just lost a year of eligibility for next to nothing. I don't ever want to play to "loose" but using up a year of eligibility for a remote chance at winning a game against a bad ASU team is not good management. Not to mention, the obvious that trying to make it through a full year with only two ship QB's is questionable at best. It was very bad luck to have two QB's injured in a day and have your other at home apparently unable to play. He took a minor risk that turned out bad; but to me, he further excalated the issue by using Thompson.

I do feel for coach Dodge and Riley; it was a horrible day for the family. I hope a decision on his job will be made quickly for everyone's benefit.