June Jones Gets Extension

dodgefan

I thought June would be gone, by the time UNT started the series with SMU, but, this was in the DMN today. Thoughts?

DALLAS (SMU) - SMU head football coach June Jones has agreed to a two-year contract extension that will keep him on the Hilltop through the 2014 season, Director of Athletics Steve Orsini announced Friday.

Jones, who is in his second season at SMU, has the Mustangs on the verge of their first bowl game since 1984 and in contention for the Conference USA championship. SMU is tied with Idaho for the biggest turnaround in the nation this season, improving its 2009 record by five wins over its 2008 results, and, with a win over Tulane in Saturday's regular season finale, would post its most wins in a single season since 1984.

"I have said since my arrival that we will win at SMU. Coach Jones has established a winning culture in our football program and we want to recognize and reward that," said Orsini. "This contract extension is a clear statement of our mutual commitment to building on the foundation he has helped establish."

"On behalf of the SMU community, I want to congratulate Coach Jones on the outstanding job that he has done with our football team," President Gerald Turner said. "Football is an integral part of the campus experience and he is reestablishing a winning tradition and a rallying point for the entire University."

"I'm very appreciative of this contract extension and am excited about the direction of the program," said Jones. "I want to thank Steve and President Turner for believing in what we're doing as a team and as a coaching staff. They have been tremendous in terms of their cooperation in rebuilding our program. Their support and the support of the SMU community as a whole have set the table for us to be successful for years to come."

Edited by dodgefan

I thought he would be gone because he is 55 now, and was a wealthy man before he got the SMU job. He said when he took the SMU job, that this would be his last job, before retiring back in Hawaii. I would be ready to retire in Hawaii myself.

Did you think he was only going to coach for two years? By the way, what happened to our offense last week?

On another note, I think Dodge will get a contract extention today right?

SMU is tied with Idaho for the biggest turnaround in the nation this season, improving its 2009 record by five wins over its 2008 results

This really jumped out at me. So, if we do win 7 games next year, we will probably have the biggest turnaround in D1A football. For those of you predicting an 8 win season, you may want to consider the fact that winning 8 games next year will most likely be a turnaround that tops every other program in the nation.

Pardon me for being highly skeptical that anything close to this will happen.

This really jumped out at me. So, if we do win 7 games next year, we will probably have the biggest turnaround in D1A football. For those of you predicting an 8 win season, you may want to consider the fact that winning 8 games next year will most likely be a turnaround that tops every other program in the nation.

Pardon me for being highly skeptical that anything close to this will happen.

Again, TTG can't stress it enough in multiple articles and posts, but the odds of the above happening to our current coaching staff are so incredibly small.

I thought June would be gone, by the time UNT started the series with SMU, but, this was in the DMN today. Thoughts?

DALLAS (SMU) - SMU head football coach June Jones has agreed to a two-year contract extension that will keep him on the Hilltop through the 2014 season, Director of Athletics Steve Orsini announced Friday.

Jones, who is in his second season at SMU, has the Mustangs on the verge of their first bowl game since 1984 and in contention for the Conference USA championship. SMU is tied with Idaho for the biggest turnaround in the nation this season, improving its 2009 record by five wins over its 2008 results, and, with a win over Tulane in Saturday's regular season finale, would post its most wins in a single season since 1984.

"I have said since my arrival that we will win at SMU. Coach Jones has established a winning culture in our football program and we want to recognize and reward that," said Orsini. "This contract extension is a clear statement of our mutual commitment to building on the foundation he has helped establish."

"On behalf of the SMU community, I want to congratulate Coach Jones on the outstanding job that he has done with our football team," President Gerald Turner said. "Football is an integral part of the campus experience and he is reestablishing a winning tradition and a rallying point for the entire University."

"I'm very appreciative of this contract extension and am excited about the direction of the program," said Jones. "I want to thank Steve and President Turner for believing in what we're doing as a team and as a coaching staff. They have been tremendous in terms of their cooperation in rebuilding our program. Their support and the support of the SMU community as a whole have set the table for us to be successful for years to come."

My thoughts are that as we sit here today and ponder the renewal of our series with SMU, we are in big a$$ trouble.

I think SMU paid a bunch of money and got a proven winner at the college level and North Texas didn't.

You hit the nail on the head. I am a NT alum and want more than anything for our school to get back to where it was earlier this decade. This season I took a job as the sideline reporter on the SMU radio broadcast. Been able to be close to their program and see how things are ran. One word - professional.

June is a great coach and manages to keep a team short on talent close in just about every game they have played this season. Todd fails to do that consistenly. Even when NT might have a talent edge he screws things up in his game management and failure to adapt his high school offense. The ponies have great facilities and money to boot. They will be winning the recruiting war for years to come. This saddens me greatly to see our football program continue to flounder while the school off 75 is on their way up. Todd Dodge needs to be fired as soon as possible and NT needs to start completely over with the new stadium on the way in 2011.

I am sure some of you probably think I might be a 'traitor' for working for SMU, but it is simply a career move and nothing more. Gotta pay those bills.