Thank You Coach Lineweaver.....

FirefightnRick

..for proving to the rest of the world, and mostly to those of us who were in attendance at Pennington Field today, that when your season is on the line "IT" could actually still be done: converting four 4th and inches plays from under center and diving forward completing a devastating 68 yard drive putting the final nail in Martin's coffin. It made me smile and assured me it's still part of today's modern football game.

Outside of that, it was also great to see the sophomore kicker for Martin hit solid on a 55 yard field goal to end the first half. They were going to allow him to try from 60 with 6 seconds to go. But elected to try one more play and got him another 5 before the try. What a leg for such a young athlete.

Obviously, it hasn't upset radiogreen as much as it has the rest of the Mean Green Nation the past three years watching North Texas continue to go for one inch from 5 yards back. So in order to help him understand the relevancy of this thread I'll try a different approach, and here you go: I hope in two years we offer this kicker a ship. He would be a great addition to Mean Green football.

Overall great game.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

and this has what to do with north texas football other than trying to prove to dodge that you can go under center and pick up a fourth down????

we already know it's possible, just as lining up in shotgun and converting a fourth and short is possible

so this thread seems rather pointless...

..for proving to the rest of the world, and mostly to those of us who were in attendance at Pennington Field today, that when your season is on the line "IT" could actually still be done: converting four 4th and inches plays from under center and diving forward completing a devastating 68 yard drive putting the final nail in Martin's coffin. It made me smile and assured me it's still part of today's modern football game.

Outside of that, it was also great to see the sophomore kicker for Martin hit solid on a 55 yard field goal to end the first half. They were going to allow him to try from 60 with 6 seconds to go. But elected to try one more play and got him another 5 before the try. What a leg for such a young athlete.

Overall great game.

Rick

By the way, Lineweaver has been a big fan of Todd Dodge, and predicted to me that Dodge would bring winning ways to North Texas. It was Lineweaver's daughter, assistant to Laura Bush at the time, who arranged for Todd and Riley to meet George W. Bush.

and this has what to do with north texas football other than trying to prove to dodge that you can go under center and pick up a fourth down????

we already know it's possible, just as lining up in shotgun and converting a fourth and short is possible

so this thread seems rather pointless...

It's also possible to win a game running nothing but the fake spike...you just don't do it!

In related news I watched Cedar Hill run 4 straight plays from the shotgun, 1st and goal from the 1 in a game where they were down 10. The result? Turnover on downs, Abilene scores on the ensuing drive, game and season over.

Amazing the lengths you have to go to in order to defend an "offensive genius."

Overall great game.

Rick

So I guess we should hire him as the next head coach?

It's also possible to win a game running nothing but the fake spike...you just don't do it!

In related news I watched Cedar Hill run 4 straight plays from the shotgun, 1st and goal from the 1 in a game where they were down 10. The result? Turnover on downs, Abilene scores on the ensuing drive, game and season over.

Amazing the lengths you have to go to in order to defend an "offensive genius."

and NFL teams have had 1st and goal from the one and line up under center and never punch it in. i understand the percentages are behind lining up under center, my main question was why was this posted. it has nothing to do with nt football, unless as unt90 said, somebody wants to hire him here.

it's not about defending dodge, it's about relevancy to the program other than to try and prove that something can be done, which we already know can be done.

So I guess we should hire him as the next head coach?

I'd rather we didn't; Lineweaver is the most beloved man in Euless (our mayor is a woman). Honestly, I thought before we hired Dodge that we should hire Lineweaver, but there would be the cries of "you should never hire a high school coach for a D1 coaching position" from the outset. He's a happy man in his sixties who has found his niche in life. Please, disabuse yourselves of that idea, if you might even remotely be serious about it.

The grind it out method was one of the things that we hated about DD's offense. It didn't have enough passing and/or excitment and everyone knew when we were going to run. And as a result, the defenses put 8 (or more) in the box. We hated that DD didn't mix it up enough.

Now we find ourselves being mad at Dodge because he won't mix it up enough and put in some "grind it out" plays in with the QB under center.

If Dodge is going to be back next season, he should take a look at some other offenses out there. I liked the offense that Captain Kangaroo runs (it's always beaten us), and I really liked the offense that Cincinnati ran yesterday against Illinois.......which seemed to feature their TE on a lot of passing plays.

Coach Lineweaver is not only a great Coach, but a great person! His morals, ethics, and Chrstian belief all combine to make him an incredible asset to all who know him and play for him. Congrats' Trojans!

Sort of sounds like Todd Dodge to me.....Imagine that?

I'd rather we didn't; Lineweaver is the most beloved man in Euless (our mayor is a woman). Honestly, I thought before we hired Dodge that we should hire Lineweaver, but there would be the cries of "you should never hire a high school coach for a D1 coaching position" from the outset. He's a happy man in his sixties who has found his niche in life. Please, disabuse yourselves of that idea, if you might even remotely be serious about it.

No, wasn't serious at all. I'm sure he is a fine man, but I'm also sure he is a High School Coach.

If we do decide to go "in another direction," I hope we go in another direction.

it's still a bunch of pointless whining. sure...losing sucks and i hate it, but constantly pointing out things that we all already know doesn't help anything. obviously, you're a far better fan than i am. i just choose not to continuously whine about stuff...but that's just me.

at the asu game, north texas had 3rd and less than one....out of the shotgun, first down...hmmm...it works sometimes...

the kicker would certainly help the team!

Edited by radiogreen

it's still a bunch of pointless whining. sure...losing sucks and i hate it, but constantly pointing out things that we all already know doesn't help anything. obviously, you're a far better fan than i am. i just choose not to continuously whine about stuff...but that's just me.

at the asu game, north texas had 3rd and less than one....out of the shotgun, first down...hmmm...it works sometimes...

the kicker would certainly help the team!

It's pointless, yes, but then again, here you are, posting for a third time in a pointless thread?

Hilarious!

Rick