Recruiting Assumption

LAZER

In various threads many posters have stated that if Dodge were to be fired a new coach would not be able to recruit as good as Dodge. If Dodge is fired we have no idea who will replace him. Thus, how can any of you state that the new coach could not recruit as good as Dodge? Although Dodge has recruited better then many of our previous coaches, I would not consider his recruiting to be excellent. I know SMU is paying JJ a great deal of money but, look at his recruiting classes at SMU. The past few SMU classes have been much better than Dodges. SMU has sucked the last decade and yet JJ was able to recruit at SMU. Thus, I honestly believe that if we hire any of the HC candidates that have been mentioned, they would be able to recruit the same if not better then Dodge.

I gotta agree. Not a shot at Dodge, because I'm sure he's a swell recruiter, but I gotta think any cache he had with high school coaches has long since been overcome by "Kid, do you really wanna go there and lose?" Even his Southlake pipline has proven unreliable...how many have signed here and then found creative ways to break free?

Dodge had one great recruiting class, his second. Anyone that thinks that Dodge still has sway with Texas High School only has to look at last year's recruiting class. NT recruited more out of the New Orleans area than they did the Metroplex. I give TD and staff credit, they did dig and scrape and came up with a few good recruits, but they certainly didn't out recruit any other fb division team in Texas. If Dodge remains, expect about the same this year. Dodge, frankly has little creditability in college coaching at this time, and it is obvious that NT will again be primarily recruiting against the lowest level fb division schools for players that have been mainly ignored by most teams. One good thing about Dodge and staff is that I think they will continue to battle for recruits unlike DD who was largely content to pick from the most available.

It's not just Dodge or the record that the competitors use to recruit against us. How about a lousy fan base that does not donate money, or how about the lack of support from the City of Denton? Also, there is the perpetual music school myth that they throw up to kids. Many of those barriers are falling due to i.e., the new stadium, major reseach institution, the law school, etc.

Dodge's luster has worn off with a 5-30 record staring at every potential recruit in the face. New stadium & new coach would be a quick shot of energy the program needs. Recruiting would certainly benefit.

TD is setting on the worse winning % in the History of UNT football at 16.6% after 3 yrs....how can you justify KEEPING him?....of course, most of us told you that last year when they were worse than year one...of course, this too was George Bushes fault.

I see it the same as I saw it with DD. It's the same. Once you've become a perpetual loser, a proven loser, recruiting has already been damaged to that point. Even without the speculation and whispers, it's natural to question after several years of losing whether or not the coach will be around for very long. So to me, there is little perceptual difference to any recruit. In fact, it might be seen as a bonus to come to a new coach, because you know he's going to be given a few years, whereas a guy like Dodge could be gone after one.

Even if the person was not as good of a recruiter as Dodge is perceived to be (whether rightfully so or not), it's hard to imagine they couldn't get guys who could win 3 or 4 games a season vs the likes of the Sun Belt. Not saying it's impossible, but we're in a similar situation as we were with DD - there's very little downside because we're already at the very bottom of the FBS.

TD is setting on the worse winning % in the History of UNT football at 16.6% after 3 yrs....how can you justify KEEPING him?....of course, most of us told you that last year when they were worse than year one...of course, this too was George Bushes fault.

Not to kick you in the nuts when you're already discouraged... But it's 5 wins and 30 losses, so 5 wins divided by 35 games is a winning percentage of 14.2857%

You divided his wins by his losses to get 16.6%. It's even worse than you think. He has to win this Saturday just to get up to the crappy percentage you gave him credit for.