Doesn't Sound Like Any Change Will Be Made

SUMG

In today's D-RC there's a report that TD and RV will sit down some time next week to evaluate the football program. "We will meet and evaluate the season," Villarreal said. "It's basically what we have done along the way while he has been here."

Anyway.....if you're going to fire a coach.....most schools do it after the game. They don't have some meeting at "some time next week".....to do it. For one thing.....since we have to abide by that 30 day job posted requirement......every day is of the essence.

So from what I'm reading into this.......it looks to me like there won't be a head coaching change. Maybe some new assistants......?

Anyway, we will see. If Coach TD is our coach next year....he will have my full support.

Yeah, I'm pretty much expecting Teflon Todd to come back. UNTjim1995 made a post a couple of weeks ago that had some good inside information regarding cost and expectations from the "Upper Echelon" of UNT Athletics. Apparently, even if they really gave 2 rat turds about this university and wanted to fire him, they are too strapped for cash to do so (for now).

Thread & Post:

http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/index.ph...mp;#entry451729

:(

I almost cried after reading that. I know Baby Football Jesus did. :P

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1

In today's D-RC there's a report that TD and RV will sit down some time next week to evaluate the football program. "We will meet and evaluate the season," Villarreal said. "It's basically what we have done along the way while he has been here."

Anyway.....if you're going to fire a coach.....most schools do it after the game. They don't have some meeting at "some time next week".....to do it. For one thing.....since we have to abide by that 30 day job posted requirement......every day is of the essence.

So from what I'm reading into this.......it looks to me like there won't be a head coaching change. Maybe some new assistants......?

Anyway, we will see. If Coach TD is our coach next year....he will have my full support.

While you are probably right, remember RV waited till after the season to fire Tina Slinker. Doing something right after a game would appear to be a blind emotional decision and that always is bad.

As for supporting TD if he is back, I fully support him now as I have since he was hired. He was not my first choice, but he was the choice that was made. I will continue to full support him until he is no longer our coach. I supported DD and Matt Simon until they were no longer head coach. That does not mean I didn't question a great many decisions made by all of them, but I've supported all of the coaches in their time at NT.

Of course we'll support him if he comes back. It'll be hard to get excited for the season, but I support every coach we have. Should he be let go....that's another question. But while he's our coach I want him to win every damn game we play.

Edited by CMJ

I read Vito's report and had the same thoughts. I did not believe that hiring a high school coach with almost no experience at the college level was the right thing to do and have seen nothing in the last three years to change my mind. Having said that I hope he is back for 2010. At that point every kid on the team will be one that he recruited. There should be no excuses at that point. I hope that Rick will have a "Come To Jesus" meeting with Coach Dodge this next week and explain to him that anything less than seven wins and a trip to a Bowl game will be seen as unacceptable. With less wins than that we should thank him for his service and send him on his way.

That sure doesn't sound like a vote of confidence from RV, though. You've got a head coach who publicly questions whether or not he'll be returning and all you get from the AD is a "we'll meet to evaluate the season"?

I don't know, maybe RV has no intention of firing him....but that doesn't explain why would Dodge openly question it and risk whatever fallout there might be within the team? A questionable motivational tactic that rarely works---esp. with only one game left on the season. Does he not want to return?

Edited by TIgreen01

That sure doesn't sound like a vote of confidence from RV, though. You've got a head coach who publicly questions whether or not he'll be returning and all you get from the AD is a "we'll meet to evaluate the season"?

I don't know, maybe RV has no intention of firing him....but that doesn't explain why would Dodge openly question it and risk whatever fallout there might be within the team? A questionable motivational tactic that rarely works---esp. with only one game left on the season. Does he not want to return?

As far as Dodge's statement, I think he just answered the question honestly--it was not a motivational tactic. He should not be able to say confidently that he will be back next year.

I also will fully support whomever RV goes with next year, be it Todd Dodge or someone else.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

agree with this and believe he will be given walking papers after asu loss. a coach does not cut off his recruiting by saying what he said if he has any expectations of returning. the ad needs to get the fans back in donation mode for the stadium and feeling positive again, a new start does all that.

Strategically, it doesn't seem logical to me to release TD at this time for many reasons already stated in this thread. A new coach, and with him possibly a new offensive system, would be a pig-in-a-poke. Non-performance next season with "his" players (now seasoned) WOULD be a logical reason. He has earned that chance to perform IMO.

Strategically, it doesn't seem logical to me to release TD at this time for many reasons already stated in this thread. A new coach, and with him possibly a new offensive system, would be a pig-in-a-poke. Non-performance next season with "his" players (now seasoned) WOULD be a logical reason. He has earned that chance to perform IMO.

He's won five games, only three against D-1A competition in three years.

His inept handling of our drug testing led to the national embarrassment in the New York Times, among other places. His inept handling of inherited players led to an ugly mistaken charge of racism that embarrassed us nationally the year before. This is the first year we haven't had a national story disgracing our university that was directly due to his handling of our players and football program. I guess that's technically progress.

He's admitted in the media that he's quit trying in several games, including after just 3 drives, down by less than 2 TDs, halfway through the first quarter of a season opener. We've wasted thousands of preciously slim dollars on frivolous, stupid expenses like renting indoor practice facilities, all at his insistence. He's alienated the local media, not just Vito but also at least two local TV stations that I know of specifically, including one where he couldn't be bothered to show up for a scheduled interview despite being offered a chauffeured ride to make his trip to the station easier.

His assistants have called him incompetent to his face. His recruits have fled the program in droves. And despite having one of the easiest schedules in school history... We're facing our third straight double-digit loss season.

In MY opinion... Dodge didn't earn jack shit, least of all the money we paid him.

His inept handling of our drug testing led to the national embarrassment in the New York Times, among other places. His inept handling of inherited players led to an ugly mistaken charge of racism that embarrassed us nationally the year before. This is the first year we haven't had a national story disgracing our university that was directly due to his handling of our players and football program. I guess that's technically progress.

He's admitted in the media that he's quit trying in several games, including after just 3 drives, down by less than 2 TDs, halfway through the first quarter of a season opener. We've wasted thousands of preciously slim dollars on frivolous, stupid expenses like renting indoor practice facilities, all at his insistence. He's alienated the local media, not just Vito but also at least two local TV stations that I know of specifically, including one where he couldn't be bothered to show up for a scheduled interview despite being offered a chauffeured ride to make his trip to the station easier.

His assistants have called him incompetent to his face. His recruits have fled the program in droves. And despite having one of the easiest schedules in school history... We're facing our third straight double-digit loss season.

In MY opinion... Dodge didn't earn jack shit, least of all the money we paid him.

So, you want him to go?

I am afraid I have to agree.....just don't see any progress...only a smaller UNT bank account. UNT has been the laughing stock of college football for most of my assoc with them...as bad as I hate to say it. After UNT beat Texas Tech....they immediately fired their coach Spike Dykes....after WKU lost to UNT...what??....they immediately fired their coach....seems when you are beat by the worse (laughing stock) then you get fired.

Lets get over this accept anything attitude at UNT and demand better....expect better....TD grades his games and players out after his (our losses)....when you grade him out...not so good...after 3 yrs?....are you kidding me?

I am afraid I have to agree.....just don't see any progress...only a smaller UNT bank account. UNT has been the laughing stock of college football for most of my assoc with them...as bad as I hate to say it. After UNT beat Texas Tech....they immediately fired their coach Spike Dykes....after WKU lost to UNT...what??....they immediately fired their coach....seems when you are beat by the worse (laughing stock) then you get fired.

Lets get over this accept anything attitude at UNT and demand better....expect better....TD grades his games and players out after his (our losses)....when you grade him out...not so good...after 3 yrs?....are you kidding me?

Oh how the mighty have fallen. Just a short time ago, father and son were considered to be among the very best (if not the best) in the country at their positions. Now father and son are considered to be among the very worst (if not the worst) in the country at their positions. Those kind of drastic swings can either build character and lead to better things or cause a total collapse. We shall see next year.

Oh how the mighty have fallen. Just a short time ago, father and son were considered to be among the very best (if not the best) in the country at their positions. Now father and son are considered to be among the very worst (if not the worst) in the country at their positions. Those kind of drastic swings can either build character and lead to better things or cause a total collapse. We shall see next year.

I've got no problem with Riley's performance. He's a freshman, he's going to make mistakes. Frankly, he shouldn't be in the position he's in at all. I've said since before the season that it's unfair to expect too much of him this season. As for next year... I hope he sticks around, but I highly doubt it.

I've got no problem with Riley's performance. He's a freshman, he's going to make mistakes. Frankly, he shouldn't be in the position he's in at all. I've said since before the season that it's unfair to expect too much of him this season. As for next year... I hope he sticks around, but I highly doubt it.

I actually agree with TFLF, to try him at another position. I'd like to see him at corner; we've been lacking in coverage ability for awhile, hey keep trying people until we shut down somebody's passing game. Just thinking back to the Army game, they didn't have any receivers that could hang on to the ball, but man, their defense could make those catches.

Edited by eulessismore

Sorry guys for coming in late, but I think there is a very good chance that TD is gone come next week. Just some of the things I heard at last game.

I have been out of town hunting with just about no contact with the Internet.

Sorry guys for coming in late, but I think there is a very good chance that TD is gone come next week. Just some of the things I heard at last game.

No apology needed. Really.

Ok, now I'm about to blow a wad in my internet shorts!! What have you heard???

Ok, now I'm about to blow a wad in my internet shorts!! What have you heard???

Basically next year is hardly guaranteed and his days are probably numbered down to double if not single digits.

But hey it is only a rumor for now. But it is better then I had heard before where I was under the impression a 4th season was a lock for Dodge.