Rv-before You Let Dodge Go!

greenblooded43

RV hope your listening,

DC and Defensive Staff ......Alias( the excuse makers)

They need to hit the road. Need to spend the money on a big time DC, that knows how to defend the spread offense and save money on hiring a new head coach.

We could be bowl eligible if the Defense shows up this year. Since Dodge has been here, the Defense has been the Problem.

Oh by the way, You are making a huge mistake by getting rid of Dodge. That Means a top QB will be gone. Nothing against the other QB's, are they going to get you where you want to be.

NO WAY!!!!!!!

NO EXCUSES

Help Wanted - A proven Defensive Coordinator that can stop the Spread Offense and put the players in the right position to make plays.

Green Blooded 43

Edited by greenblooded43

Help Wanted - A Approven Defensive Coordinator that can stop the Spread Offense and put the players in the right position to make plays.

Funny - How would you describe one that is "proven?"

DeLoach is proven by the way. If you don't have the players for that side of the ball, it wouldn't have mattered if you had brought in Mike Stoops.

Funny - How would you describe one that is "proven?"

DeLoach is proven by the way. If you don't have the players for that side of the ball, it wouldn't have mattered if you had brought in Mike Stoops.

Like i said Excuse again!!!

Know one runs the Maryland I anymore.

DC has proved he can yell alot with no results. However, the game has passed him by. He doesn't know how to defend the spread. Mike Stoops Does!!!!!!

It is a thread because Defense Wins Championships and we could be at a Bowl if we had one.

No, our whole team is responsible. Our offense, defense, and special teams have all given up games. Besides...again...a new coach will hire his own staff. That's not RV's job.

So what happened this past saturday then?

Defense gave up a game winning drive, again. D looked good until crunch time then couldn't make the necessary stop and instead gives up a BIG play. Same song, different verse. Yes I know, if the offense would have played ball control, and not turned the ball over, the D wouldn't have been required to make stand. That is why Defenses win championships!

Defense gave up a game winning drive, again. D looked good until crunch time then couldn't make the necessary stop and instead gives up a BIG play. Same song, different verse. Yes I know, if the offense would have played ball control, and not turned the ball over, the D wouldn't have been required to make stand. That is why Defenses win championships!

So our high powered offense turns the ball over 5 times saturday and you want to pin the loss on our defense? Wow.

I have not heard any coaches or players making any excuses this year. Please do tell us all what you mean when you say "excuses". Facts, man...just the facts, please! I've heard a few fans providing their opinions and some parents with a few things to say, but I have not hear or read any excuses from Coaches or players...where is that line of thought coming from. Just asking, not challenging...just asking because, like SUMG, I have been around for awhile and just haven't seen it....

RV hope your listening,

They need to hit the road. Need to spend the money on a big time DC, that knows how to defend the spread offense and save money on hiring a new head coach.

We could be bowl eligible if the Defense shows up this year. Since Dodge has been here, the Defense has been the Problem.

Oh by the way, You are making a huge mistake by getting rid of Dodge. That Means a top QB will be gone. Nothing against the other QB's, are they going to get you where you want to be.

NO WAY!!!!!!! (I agree with you that RV is is making a huge mistake if we get rid of Dodge. In the same 11 games NT has increased scoring points from from 240 in 08 to 293 in 09 ....an increase of 53....A significant increase.

NO EXCUSES

Help Wanted - A proven Defensive Coordinator that can stop the Spread Offense and put the players in the right position to make plays.

Green Blooded 43

Lets see DeLoach has been here less than one year...only one recruiting season....all NT did on defensive in 09 vs 08 is reduced scoring of the opponents from 505 yds in 08 before he came down to 387 yds -09 ............REDUCING SCORING BY 151 POINTS IN THE 11 GAMES SO FAR. TO ME THAT IS A SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT. Don't blame DeLoach, he would be even better if he had a one or two more recruiting classes.

This is the dumbest thread I've ever seen on this board.

...ok, not EVER, but it is bad.

DeLoach is the description of the type of DC you're demanding here. Deloach isn't the problem, and replacing him with a new DC and keeping everything else the same will result in the same (or worse) results that we saw last year.

What this team needs to do from right here to be successful is simple -

1. Hire a proven college level OC, preferably someone familiar with running the spread in the college ranks. Have him revamp Dodges system to fit the nuances of the college game.

2. Change how practice is run - Dodge and his coaches need to spend time watching TCU, Boise and Cincy and other on the rise Mid Major programs. They need to emulate the way the practices are run in those programs - Practice should be hard hitting and intense.

3. Recruit heavily both in JUCO and HS on the defensive side of the ball.

4. Get a new kicker.

...make those four adjustments and we have a winning season next year, YES, even with Dodge.

So our high powered offense turns the ball over 5 times saturday and you want to pin the loss on our defense? Wow.

So if the defense makes a stop on the last drive does UNT Win? Odds are yes. Not pinning the loss on the D just saying that they did not make the play during crunch time and haven't several times this year. Shouldn't have been placed in that position, as I said, but the reason you build a solid defense is to make up for mistakes in other phases. All three phases had breakdowns against Army and that is why we lost. No one gets off easy and that includes the defense. They failed when it mattered just like special teams and the offense. Every coach I know goes into a game thinking that if they can win two of the three phases they will have a good chance of pulling out a victory. Why do you think the defense gets a pass, they are just as much at fault as anyone else.

Can this change? I believe it can and with the personnel already in place ( including D-LO). Not asking for anyone to be fired or let go but we have tons of room for improvment in every aspect of a game. I'm a UNT supported, not a Dodge, D-LO, Gandy, Leftwich... supporter a UNT SUPPORTER! Every coach and every player on this team has room to get better and I believe they will if given another season.

It's the "we're a young team" baloney Dodge always throws out there that everyone is refering to. I've never once heard Boise State's Chris Petersen complain about his "young team" that has only five seniors on the roster.

It doesn't matter. It is what it is. In this business, you are judged on wins and losses. In 35 games, Dodge has five - and three of those against one awful school in between FCS and FBS.

The boss takes the blame. He's the boss. It was his decision to bring in a bunch of coaches who had no more than high school experience. He's been slow to fire them - one per off-season. He's been all about signing receivers, but not about getting defensive linemen in each class.

Dodge badly misjudged this thing as something as something he could just fly under a "football plan." It was baloney then, and it's baloney now. Gary Deloach has skins on the wall and at this school. He does what he can with what Dodge has given him - which ain't much.

Malign this defense all you want. But, the truth is, it's a heck of alot better than the 2007 and 2008 versions with high school defensive coordinators and defensive line coaches.

You may be mad when Dodge loses his job here, but that's the game. You produce or you're shown the door. This isn't the University of Todd Dodge. It's not the University of Riley Dodge. It's not the University of Todd Ford.

Some of you live in a world where we can only be coached by either Todd Dodge or Darrell Dickey. And, in a world where only Riley Dodge can play quarterback. That's bunk. There are freshman quarterbacks all over the country doing well - and, who didn't "grow up" in the system of the offensive coordinator.

This isn't just a game. In the 21st century - hell, the last 30 years of the 20th century, for that matter - college football is a business. You can't let someone keep running your main product into the ground. That's what a football program is at this level. None of those other sports have a prayer of turning a dollar, save for men's basektball at a few select universities.

RV needs to get this thing righted and righted while he has a good shot at it.

Lets see DeLoach has been here less than one year...only one recruiting season....all NT did on defensive in 09 vs 08 is reduced scoring of the opponents from 505 yds in 08 before he came down to 387 yds -09 ............REDUCING SCORING BY 151 POINTS IN THE 11 GAMES SO FAR. TO ME THAT IS A SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT. Don't blame DeLoach, he would be even better if he had a one or two more recruiting classes.

This is a stupid thread...but, Deloach has been here 2 years. He is responsible for the 505 given up in 2008. No excuses on either side of the ball or special teams.

RV hope your listening,

NO WAY!!!!!!!

NO EXCUSES

Green Blooded 43

Oh yes....the defense that kept us in the game up until the last few minutes after your top Qb threw 3 interceptions and fumble the bal once or twice....and it is too bad that Gary D. has never proven himself at the college ranks like TD.

As a customer then do you think I can get some of my money back ? :D

It's funny you should say that because when RV called me back in April, I tried to put the situation in business terms for him. One of my points to him was that although the almuni were likely to still come out no matter what, the job is selling the program to the community at large. And, that the community at large makes choices about where they spend their disposable income with different things in mind. That is, we spend and support because we feel have a stake in it, part of our lives were spent in Denton at the school. That's not true of the general public - even in Denton.

Therefore, you've got to have something tangible to sell in order to get butts in the seats. "Cleaning up behind the scenes" doesn't sell tickets. If running a clean program with players who makes straight A's sold tickets, Northwestern, Baylor, Rice and Vandy would always be sold out. They aren't.

What sells is winning. That's shallow, but that's sports. Unless you have a sick, weird, demented fanbase - like Chicago Cubs fans or South Carolina Gamecock fans - people don't fill up the stadium to watch you lose. The Cubs deal is a cultural thing. With South Carolina...hell, I still can't figure out why they'd ever sell that out, even with Spurrier at the helm. Maybe they hand out flasks at the gate.

Anyway, people like you and I are customers because we will always want to be customers. What Rick needs and what the school needs are non-UNT people to become interested. He needs everyday buttholes walking down the street to be wearing Mean Green gear the same way everyday buttholes in Texas and Oklahoma wear Longhorn and Sooner gear with no logical connection to those schools. The more buttholes with your stuff, the more likely you get them in your seats to fill your stadium - and cofers.

THE END.

It's funny you should say that because when RV called me back in April, I tried to put the situation in business terms for him. One of my points to him was that although the almuni were likely to still come out no matter what, the job is selling the program to the community at large. And, that the community at large makes choices about where they spend their disposable income with different things in mind. That is, we spend and support because we feel have a stake in it, part of our lives were spent in Denton at the school. That's not true of the general public - even in Denton.

Therefore, you've got to have something tangible to sell in order to get butts in the seats. "Cleaning up behind the scenes" doesn't sell tickets. If running a clean program with players who makes straight A's sold tickets, Northwestern, Baylor, Rice and Vandy would always be sold out. They aren't.

What sells is winning. That's shallow, but that's sports. Unless you have a sick, weird, demented fanbase - like Chicago Cubs fans or South Carolina Gamecock fans - people don't fill up the stadium to watch you lose. The Cubs deal is a cultural thing. With South Carolina...hell, I still can't figure out why they'd ever sell that out, even with Spurrier at the helm. Maybe they hand out flasks at the gate.

Anyway, people like you and I are customers because we will always want to be customers. What Rick needs and what the school needs are non-UNT people to become interested. He needs everyday buttholes walking down the street to be wearing Mean Green gear the same way everyday buttholes in Texas and Oklahoma wear Longhorn and Sooner gear with no logical connection to those schools. The more buttholes with your stuff, the more likely you get them in your seats to fill your stadium - and cofers.

THE END.

RIGHT ON!

This team is much improved from last year, but still. The much maligned defense is better than it was, but still pretty dreadful. The offence, frankly has done a good job of losing many of the games this year. I like Riley Dodge and enjoyed watching him play from back in the SLC days, but WOW where in the heck is his head lately? Don't know how many of those interceptions that you just knew it was going to be an interception before he released the ball! Newsflash, unless you can fire a line drive and thread the needle (haven't seen that ability here at UNT), you DO NOT throw into double and triple coverage. Duh! Then there is the kicking game.... How many games this year have been lost due to poor field position brought on by our kicker not being able to hit the field? Missed field goals and extra points (boys and girls we lost to Army by the 4 points that were missed by the missed extra point and the blocked field goal). UNT is struggling to beat the very worst teams in the country. I truly, truly hope Dodge and company can turn it around and maybe with the same level of improvement next year over this year as comparing this year to 08 that is possible. I really do hope so. I hope that a few years from now we are discussing how great that undefeated season with Riley Dodge at QB was and making plans to attend UNT's next bowl game. If that's going to happen though, this bunch has some massive improving to do.

This team is much improved from last year, but still. The much maligned defense is better than it was, but still pretty dreadful. The offence, frankly has done a good job of losing many of the games this year. I like Riley Dodge and enjoyed watching him play from back in the SLC days, but WOW where in the heck is his head lately? Don't know how many of those interceptions that you just knew it was going to be an interception before he released the ball! Newsflash, unless you can fire a line drive and thread the needle (haven't seen that ability here at UNT), you DO NOT throw into double and triple coverage. Duh! Then there is the kicking game.... How many games this year have been lost due to poor field position brought on by our kicker not being able to hit the field? Missed field goals and extra points (boys and girls we lost to Army by the 4 points that were missed by the missed extra point and the blocked field goal). UNT is struggling to beat the very worst teams in the country. I truly, truly hope Dodge and company can turn it around and maybe with the same level of improvement next year over this year as comparing this year to 08 that is possible. I really do hope so. I hope that a few years from now we are discussing how great that undefeated season with Riley Dodge at QB was and making plans to attend UNT's next bowl game. If that's going to happen though, this bunch has some massive improving to do.

Indeed. This has been a complete team effort losing this year. Offense turns the ball over WAY too many times. The defense not enough. I would mention special teams but I recently had my handyman take a dremel to the part of my brain that remembers what happened on special teams.

You can't blame the Army game on the defense. Sure they gave up one big play that basically cost us the game after our offense gave them the ball back, but for the most part our front seven dominated the game. You can blame a few other losses on the defense post-Ohio game, but not the Army game. On the other hand, I do have to agree that some of the defensive play this year has been inexplicable. WKU and FAU in particular made our defense look very high school. Not much consistency this year to say the least, and I don't think we can attribute it all to losing our MLB.