What Would It Cost To Replace Td ?

NT03

The other scenario is UNT reassigns Dodge to a fund-raising/lawn mowing position that gives him some time to figure out what he wants to do/wait for the right high school job to open. Say it takes him two months to find the right gig that pays him $90,000, thus leaving UNT on the hook for ballpark $30,000 until he leaves and $95,000 a year for two years to pay the difference between his base salary at UNT and what he is going to make a Podunk High.

UNT is still on the hook for $220,000.

Those totals don't sound that bad, but that doesn't count what it would cost to hire a new head coach. UNT would surely want to go with a proven commodity at that point, and that is going to cost a whole lot more than the ballpark $285,000 it is paying Dodge now. Plus, UNT would probably want to go with experienced college assistants across the board who would run $80,000 to $100,000 each. That could push UNT's assistant coach budget up a hundred thousand dollars or more.

I don't think UNT is sitting on that kind of money, so it would have to get the cash to buy out Dodge and get a proven head coach from boosters or the university until the new athletics fee kicks in during the fall of 2011.

I like the reassignment idea, that makes the most sense out of everything.

Also, how the hell do you get extra money from the university? We all know that almost all boosters that are giving to the team has already given to the stadium so that well is probably pretty dry...

The other scenario is UNT reassigns Dodge to a fund-raising/lawn mowing position that gives him some time to figure out what he wants to do/wait for the right high school job to open

I love Vito , but man that is kinda harsh .....brah !!!

Edited by NT03

Man if everyone would spend their time and efforts looking for all the positives in this program you might decide the salary your spending now is pretty darn cheap. If you can't see what this team has in the making then I guess North Texas is what it is. Check it out yourself, for the past say 30 years the school has won maybe 30% of their games. RV has put together a solid staff, solid coaches who have gone out and brought stability. It may not be showing yet in the win column but it is in quality of players, attitude and team chemistry. The team chemistry is stronger now than three years ago and that is a fact. Bring in another complete coaching staff, I promise you they win next year and it's not because of who they are rather what RV and TD have built. I understand some thought they would never see a new stadium built in their lifetime, well it's coming. Three years ago I thought TD would come to North Texas and build a Boise State type program, well, if left alone, together with RV, it will happen. Break it up, pay it off, and be ready to keep the 30 year 30% win percentage in place.

The questions is, "What would it cost to replace TD?

Answer: It would cost you another coach coming in and immediately winning maybe for two to three years then they would leave, or they wouldn't bring in the talent, thus leaving you back in the same freaking rut you been in for the past 30 years. Right now you got an AD totally sold out for this university, I picked up on that early on three years ago, you got a coach with TEXAS roots and a passion for building this program.

Edited by James Mosley

Man if everyone would spend their time and efforts looking for all the positives in this program you might decide the salary your spending now is pretty darn cheap. If you can't see what this team has in the making then I guess North Texas is what it is. Check it out yourself, for the past say 30 years the school has won maybe 30% of their games. RV has put together a solid staff, solid coaches who have gone out and brought stability. It may not be showing yet in the win column but it is in quality of players, attitude and team chemistry. The team chemistry is stronger now than three years ago and that is a fact. Bring in another complete coaching staff, I promise you they win next year and it's not because of who they are rather what RV and TD have built. I understand some thought they would never see a new stadium built in their lifetime, well it's coming. Three years ago I thought TD would come to North Texas and build a Boise State type program, well, if left alone, together with RV, it will happen. Break it up, pay it off, and be ready to keep the 30 year 30% win percentage in place.

Some good points, except depending on how you look at it, I have to dispute the 30% winning percentage. Don't shoot me if I'm off by a game or two because I did the addition in my head, but in the 30 years of D1A football (back to '65) since prior to TD's arrival, we've won 45% of our games (146 out of 327 excluding ties). We haven't been great, but 30% just didn't sound quite right to me. Guess I'm a bit bored today. :D

http://www.jhowell.net/cf/Scores/NorthTexas.htm

Edited by risinggreen

Answer: It would cost you another coach coming in and immediately winning maybe for two to three years then they would leave, or they wouldn't bring in the talent, thus leaving you back in the same freaking rut you been in for the past 30 years. Right now you got an AD totally sold out for this university, I picked up on that early on three years ago, you got a coach with TEXAS roots and a passion for building this program.

What is the difference between a new coach winning for 2 or 3 years, then leaving and Dodge who turns it around in the next three years and wins 8,10 and 10 games and leaving? Look I would like for Dodge to turn this thing around, but for him to do that, he have to do something that has NEVER been done at this level.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

What is the difference between a new coach winning for 2 or 3 years, then leaving and Dodge who turns it around in the next three years and wins 8,10 and 10 games and leaving? Look I would like for Dodge to turn this thing around, but for him to do that, he have to do something that has NEVER been done at this level.

I don't see any reason to believe 8 wins is possible next season.

I don't see any reason to believe 8 wins is possible next season.

It was completely hypothetical in my mind because I don't really see 5 wins next year. One has better odds with the Lottery I suspect than of Dodge turning this things around at this point.

All of you folks who thought we would Blow out Army or that it wouldn't be close - what happened? Seriously, the defense did it's job.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

The hardest thing is deciding what I should tell you and what not to. Well, anyway, I've got a while yet before you're old enough to understand the system. They're more for me at this point... to help get it all straight. Should I tell you about your coach? That's a tough one. Will it change your decision to send him here... knowing? But if you don't send Dodge, you could never be. God, you can go crazy thinking about all this... I suppose I'll tell you... I owe him that. And maybe it'll be enough if you know that in the few years we had together we loved a lifetime's worth.

Edited by NT03

Some good points, except depending on how you look at it, I have to dispute the 30% winning percentage. Don't shoot me if I'm off by a game or two because I did the addition in my head, but in the 30 years of D1A football (back to '65) since prior to TD's arrival, we've won 45% of our games (146 out of 327 excluding ties). We haven't been great, but 30% just didn't sound quite right to me. Guess I'm a bit bored today. :D

http://www.jhowell.net/cf/Scores/NorthTexas.htm

You get Mr. Mosley's point. Plus, going back 30 years would take us to 1979. The 80's we had success as a D1AA, but take away when Dickey caught lightening in a bottle with his Booger, Spencer, Jones, Buckles, etc... class and we haven't done anything to hang our hat on, and not one coach has really tried to build the program. Most looked at NT as a stepping stone and treated it as such. Dodge has come in and laid the groundwork for a good program, and now it is upon him to produce next year....period.

BTW, Mr. Mosley, for those of you that haven't figured it out, is a player's parent and I trust and believe what he says way more than what most of the posters spout off as gospel.

You get Mr. Mosley's point. Plus, going back 30 years would take us to 1979. The 80's we had success as a D1AA, but take away when Dickey caught lightening in a bottle with his Booger, Spencer, Jones, Buckles, etc... class and we haven't done anything to hang our hat on, and not one coach has really tried to build the program. Most looked at NT as a stepping stone and treated it as such. Dodge has come in and laid the groundwork for a good program, and now it is upon him to produce next year....period.

BTW, Mr. Mosley, for those of you that haven't figured it out, is a player's parent and I trust and believe what he says way more than what most of the posters spout off as gospel.

most posters on this board are here for life, not so much for players parents.

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/record...&by=Win+Pct

The last 30 years the way I see it. I agree most posters are here for life, look how the last 30 years of it has been. You got a coach and AD here now who can change the way this university is looked at for a life time.

Edited by James Mosley

North Texas 0.35632 Win %

The way I see it, even that dismal win percentage from the past 30 years is still 2.5 times higher than what Dodge accomplished in his three years.

North Texas 0.35632 Win %

The way I see it, even that dismal win percentage from the past 30 years is still 2.5 times higher than what Dodge accomplished in his three years.

The economy sucks for everyone right now ok ! We are only a little over 20% under status quo

I really don't know why we're debating whether or not to keep Dodge. Just from his own recent comments, it appears that the decision has already been made.

What reason would he have to allow himself to be quoted by the media as saying that he didn't know if he'd be back for a 4th year?? Even more telling is that we have yet to hear anything from our AD that reassures the situation.

This is a 'done deal' as Tasty very apply put in his crazy charades thread.

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/record...&by=Win+Pct

The last 30 years the way I see it. I agree most posters are here for life, look how the last 30 years of it has been. You got a coach and AD here now who can change the way this university is looked at for a life time.

That stat. really only includes the past 14 11/12 years instead of the past 30, and includes TD's 30 losses so it is a bit skewed to the downside. Take out TD's record and we're at 41% pre-TD for that period. But whatever. We haven't been great, but there have been worse programs out there. Personally, I'm not exactly happy with the situation, but I am "basically" in favor of giving TD another year to see if he can learn how to win and get us over the hump. Unless of course some proven modern day Vince Lombardi is chomping at the bit to take this job for 300k or so.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I realize that these are tenuous times and this will be a very difficult decision for RV.

I personally like Todd and hoped that he would succeed. He inherited a disaster and has cleaned that up in pretty good fashion. He has been a fine ambassador for the university. Largely due to his insistence and reputation he played a large part in getting the stadium issue done. He has recruited well and raised the talent level to equal or surpass all of the SBC with the possible exception of Troy. For those accomplishments I am eternally grateful.

I have been terribly disappointed with this coaching staff. While we've seen much closer games this year, I believe that it's the result of our improved talent and a weaker schedule. We still make a lot of mistakes and that's at the feet of the coaching staff. "You play like you practice" and "the speed of the captain equals the speed of the ship" are a couple of cliches that seem appropriate for these teams.

What disturbs me more is continually trying to use high school formations on college opponents. Dodge is unwilling to put the quarterback under center in any situation, use a fullback or tight end (ok he has inserted a tight end for blocking purposes), or use other formations to negate certain defensive maneuvers.

I am a little surprised of your support because Micah would likely be a great fullback in short yardage situations. He is a bull who seldom loses a yard and an excellent blocker who should be used far more than he is.

Unless we can afford to hire a coach who does not lose at this level then we are probably better off seeing if Todd Dodge can do something that has happened only a few times in the history of college football...turn a 3-year, less than 20% winning team into a winner. This team and coaching staff, for whatever reason, cannot seem to turn the corner. They are a mistake waiting to happen. Facing the opening of a new stadium and trying to establish/enlarge upon a fan/donor base, we simply don't have the luxury of taking an enormous chance.

To me, there are three coaches that could get the W's if we were able to come up with the money package for them. They are close together alphabetically...Terry Bowden, Tommy Bowden, and Jeff Bower. Anyone else might be as risky as trying to see if Dodge can somehow manage to win.

I realize that these are tenuous times and this will be a very difficult decision for RV.

I personally like Todd and hoped that he would succeed. He inherited a disaster and has cleaned that up in pretty good fashion. He has been a fine ambassador for the university. Largely due to his insistence and reputation he played a large part in getting the stadium issue done. He has recruited well and raised the talent level to equal or surpass all of the SBC with the possible exception of Troy. For those accomplishments I am eternally grateful.

I have been terribly disappointed with this coaching staff. While we've seen much closer games this year, I believe that it's the result of our improved talent and a weaker schedule. We still make a lot of mistakes and that's at the feet of the coaching staff. "You play like you practice" and "the speed of the captain equals the speed of the ship" are a couple of cliches that seem appropriate for these teams.

What disturbs me more is continually trying to use high school formations on college opponents. Dodge is unwilling to put the quarterback under center in any situation, use a fullback or tight end (ok he has inserted a tight end for blocking purposes), or use other formations to negate certain defensive maneuvers.

I am a little surprised of your support because Micah would likely be a great fullback in short yardage situations. He is a bull who seldom loses a yard and an excellent blocker who should be used far more than he is.

Unless we can afford to hire a coach who does not lose at this level then we are probably better off seeing if Todd Dodge can do something that has happened only a few times in the history of college football...turn a 3-year, less than 20% winning team into a winner. This team and coaching staff, for whatever reason, cannot seem to turn the corner. They are a mistake waiting to happen. Facing the opening of a new stadium and trying to establish/enlarge upon a fan/donor base, we simply don't have the luxury of taking an enormous chance.

To me, there are three coaches that could get the W's if we were able to come up with the money package for them. They are close together alphabetically...Terry Bowden, Tommy Bowden, and Jeff Bower. Anyone else might be as risky as trying to see if Dodge can somehow manage to win.

The man can coach, the man can lead, the man can motivate, the man can recruit, the man can be a roll model for his players. He already has all the talents to coach at this level and win. Arm chair, Monday morning QB's have never impressed me. My support for Coach Dodge is one based on what my son has to say about him, not how much he plays for him. He believes, I believe, pretty simple, while others have the option of waiting until the game results are in to make their coaching calls, he makes them on the spot, might use an extra time out to get there, lol, but makes the right call. I'm sure changes will be made during the offseason, might be a bit surprise at some of them.......... Edited by James Mosley

The man can coach, the man can lead, the man can motivate, the man can recruit, the man can be a roll model for his players. He already has all the talents to coach at this level and win. Arm chair, Monday morning QB's have never impressed me. My support for Coach Dodge is one based on what my son has to say about him, not how much he plays for him. He believes, I believe, pretty simple, while others have the option of waiting until the game results are in to make their coaching calls, he makes them on the spot, might use an extra time out to get there, lol, but makes the right call. I'm sure changes will be made during the offseason, might be a bit surprise at some of them..........

No ones dening that Coach Dodge is a great man or how good of a leader he is, but the simple fact is he isn't winning...at all.

People are worried about brining in a new coach because it will set the program back a few years, but how could it get any worse? I'm sure a quality NCAA football coach could squeeze out some wins with this team while he puts a team togther that suits his system. Lets put an end to this misery!

What initially bothered me the most about Dodge, was that he fairly arrogantly used the questionable judgement of basically picking up the SLC High School program and dragging it up I35W and renaming it the University of North Texas. I suspect it bothered RV a bit as well, but I guess he just decided that it was worth the risk at the time. I think it was condescending at best, and insulting both to our university and to our conference at worst. I suspect that he thought that he could walk in and run through The Sunbelt in short order, and that just didn't turn out to be the case. I guess he didn't quite realize that the SBC was quickly transforming into a lower level 1a conference rather than an upper level 1aa conference. Oh well, I'm still willing to give him another year to see if maybe he can finally make some fairly obvious adjustments to his on the field coaching philosophy at this level. Not that I'm saying that I could do a better job, but I guess some people just have a steeper learning curve than others. Maybe just a touch of stubbornness as well.

What initially bothered me the most about Dodge, was that he fairly arrogantly used the questionable judgement of basically picking up the SLC High School program and dragging it up I35W and renaming it the University of North Texas. I suspect it bothered RV a bit as well, but I guess he just decided that it was worth the risk at the time. I think it was condescending at best, and insulting both to our university and to our conference at worst. I suspect that he thought that he could walk in and run through The Sunbelt in short order, and that just didn't turn out to be the case. I guess he didn't quite realize that the SBC was quickly transforming into a lower level 1a conference rather than an upper level 1aa conference. Oh well, I'm still willing to give him another year to see if maybe he can finally make some fairly obvious adjustments to his on the field coaching philosophy at this level. Not that I'm saying that I could do a better job, but I guess some people just have a steeper learning curve than others. Maybe just a touch of stubbornnessas well.

That came out in game one with man-to-man coverage on OU's Malcolm Kelly, Juaquin Iglesias and Manny Johnson - two of whom are now earning NFL paychecks, the others was drafted by the Cowboys and was kept until their final cuts.