Monday Morning Recap: What Up With That? Edition

Quoner

I'll open this with a non-related personal story. I absolutely despise Keenan from Saturday Night Live/Good Burger fame. In fact, save the cast of an MTV/E/VH1 reality show, I doubt there is anyone on TV who causes me to power down more on all of TV. Now, you can probably chalk this up to my EPIC RACISM THAT I GOT BANNED FOR, but really only a scientist could know the real reasons why. Yet, as I watched with a few friends nursing beers after the Army disaster, Keenan gave me the perfect template for how I want Dodge's final press conference to go down: http://www.hulu.com/watch/110316/saturday-...that#s-p1-sr-i1

No need for cliches, serious discussions or long stories. Just 6 wild-a$$ minutes of dancing, singing, rambling and guest cameos. Ladies and gentlemen -- tap-dancing Johnny Quinn! With Robby Vanderslice on bass guitar! This would be a fitting tribute to Dodge Era -- fun, lots of good people involved, no one gets embarrassed and then we all just sort off dance off into commercial, going our separate ways forever. Sadly, separation is always hardest on the kids, or, in our case, the moronic fan base. You know what my lasting impression of the Dodge Era is? Stubbornness. No, I'm not talking about The Fake Lonnie Finch rants about his coaching; I'm talking about the needs of our fans to go to new levels to show how much they believe/support the team/deserve attendance awards/donate money/measure their genitals in a contest.

As CaribbeanGreen said over the weekend, please freaking stop. No one cares if you are head conductor of the Mean Green Express. In fact, as I've said before, the only reason most of you have the influence you do over the fans is that we don't have a bunch of top level donors. We're all part of a small tapestry here, and tapestries don't work when one thread decides it is superior to all the others and tries to scoreboard the other sections. Fight the urge to cast people out, even if they seem to deserve it in the short-term moment. Otherwise, you lose them in the long run, and it sucks. So, this offseason, I'm introducing my super fan standings. I'll post the final rules when I have them, but it basically goes like this:

+10 -- Boast of attending an event

+7 -- Call out others who didn't attend

+5 -- Insult someone else's dedication level

+5 -- Insult someone else's donation level

Could you be the superfan of 2009-2010 offseason? Only one way to find out...right after the ASU game next weekend!

OK, back to the board:

First, stop speculating about Dodge's firing.

Second, speculate about Dodge's firing.

Third, kick Jeremy Knott in the balls because the coach is off limits! ASIDE: Remember when Mike Leach realized he was wanting at the kicking position and held an open try out? Remember that time a certain SI swimsuit model kicked for us in the movies? That was craaazy!

Fourth, everyone loves polls.

Fifth, all hail the Green Blur!

Sixth, did you know that Todd Dodge could sell a freezer to a penguin? Oddly enough, that penguin would also soon be recruited at WR.

Seventh, THANK YOU SENIORS! It probably means more coming from us.

Eighth, equal time is only fair.

Ninth, okay, enough about the QBs. The biggest story of this game was the decision to ignore Dunbar. None of the rest even matters to me. If Riley had a RB setting him up more often (like we did in BSU), he would look pretty darn good out there. Has anyone thought of a good reason why Dunbar didn't get the ball?

Tenth, to be honest, it felt like we've had way more than 26 turnovers so far this year.

Eleventh, a look at a key strategy moment of the game from the Army perspective. Basically, this is like freaking out while playing a football video game that your opponent is playing smart instead of doing what the computer always does.

Twelfth, we'll have a whole off-season to debate this,but please don't hire Jeff Bower because he is the safe choice. Do a broad search.

Thirteenth, this is worth a read. Any future success we have will not be in spite of Dodge. If he leaves, just appreciate what he did for us - especially off the field. And if you really want to appreciate him now, just read all of eulesseagle's posts.

Fourteenth, Emmitt vs. Keith7 vs. Rudy vs. Pen Yan Fan. CHOOSE YOUR SIDE, THE BATTLE WILL BE EPIC(ally uninteresting).

Fifteenth, JUST WAIT UNTIL WE GO 10-2 NEXT YEAR! You'll get yours.

Finally, not that he broke down, but the fan who took this weekend the hardest was CaribbeanGreen. I want to award him fan points, but it just doesn't fit the criteria. Maybe next week, skip!

Look, I know I've skipped two weeks of these recaps, but it really reads the same every week. The coaches will come and go, but the childish crap between the fans has pretty much been constant. Maybe it's what four years of sucking does, but at the basic level, about 40-50 people post here on a regular to semi-regular basis. There are at least 6 factions or super fan groups. Why? Sure, we all have a handful of people who we like to needle, but it's amazing to imagine that there are people who get off this board and steam over what they read. It's Thanksgiving Week, so try being thankful that this program has the fans it does (without a really good reason) than obsessing over who needs to be kicked out of the club. Try being thankful for the players willing to come here (especially those who turned down offers to other schools). And finally, and I think this is what lets me really get under the skin of some of you, I believe it's only sports: a bunch of teenagers running around on a field for our amusement because someone decided during history that feeding Christians to lions needed to be modified. You can bitch and moan all you want, but just remember exactly what you're letting consume you.

Has anyone thought of a good reason why Dunbar didn't get the ball?

Yes, there were 8, sometimes 9, defenders in the box the ENTIRE game. Army run blitzed on just about every play. Running Dunbar up the middle probably would not have been very successful.

That said, you have to get the best offensive weapon on your team touches. If TD or TF doesn't know that every team is going to load the box and run blitz on every play (except WKU, for some magical, glorious, yet unknown reason), then they should be fired on the spot. That is how everyone in conference play (save WKU) has defended us. If you know this, you have got to scheme to get Dunbar the ball in some other way, be it receiving or even a sweep or option. Really disappointing that the BEST weapon you have on offense, the guy that has consistently made plays for you all year WITHOUT turning over the ball, has miniscule touches in this game.

What makes everyone here think Dunbar won't transfer if Dodge stays?? I understand he showed disappointment in his role after the game, and he has more that proven that he is a quality D1A running back. He just finished his redshirt freshman year. What makes everyone think that he, or any other of the RS freshmen talent, wouldn't tranfer to another program if they felt Dodge couldn't get it done? I only ask this question because every says we can't let TD go or else RD will transfer.

Did you ever consider the other side of that coin?

Yes, there were 8, sometimes 9, defenders in the box the ENTIRE game. Army run blitzed on just about every play. Running Dunbar up the middle probably would not have been very successful.

That said, you have to get the best offensive weapon on your team touches. If TD or TF doesn't know that every team is going to load the box and run blitz on every play (except WKU, for some magical, glorious, yet unknown reason), then they should be fired on the spot. That is how everyone in conference play (save WKU) has defended us. If you know this, you have got to scheme to get Dunbar the ball in some other way, be it receiving or even a sweep or option. Really disappointing that the BEST weapon you have on offense, the guy that has consistently made plays for you all year WITHOUT turning over the ball, has miniscule touches in this game.

What makes everyone here think Dunbar won't transfer if Dodge stays?? I understand he showed disappointment in his role after the game, and he has more that proven that he is a quality D1A running back. He just finished his redshirt freshman year. What makes everyone think that he, or any other of the RS freshmen talent, wouldn't tranfer to another program if they felt Dodge couldn't get it done? I only ask this question because every says we can't let TD go or else RD will transfer.

Did you ever consider the other side of that coin?

Except that it was. Even if you take AWAY the massive TD run, which in and of itself is a big miscalculation because yes, IT HAPPENED -- LD still averaged almost 5 yards a pop. It was consistently and highly successful.. the few times we went to it. There's still no attempt at an explanation for the 3rd and 1 call and handling of 4th down (as it pertains to LD) anywhere to be found.

And yes, you're right - he might transfer. Hope he doesn't, but we'll go on either way.

Wow. I don't know what to say - I was quoted to make a point and given meltdown of the week all in the same QMMR... Time to raise the Mission Accomplished banner and throw my computer in Pantera's pool.

Seriously though, thanks for the recap as always. Highlight of my week, by GMG terms.

Not disrespecting your win for meltdown of the week, but I think that one clear winner is being ignored by Quoner. That would be the same person that had a lot to do with the new building going up across the street.

Quoner, you should really review the posts. I think Flyer is hands down the winner of the award this week, and rightly so. He darn sure ought to win something on the weekend of the groundbreaking.

Flyer, I know exactly how you feel.

Except that it was. Even if you take AWAY the massive TD run, which in and of itself is a big miscalculation because yes, IT HAPPENED -- LD still averaged almost 5 yards a pop. It was consistently and highly successful.. the few times we went to it. There's still no attempt at an explanation for the 3rd and 1 call and handling of 4th down (as it pertains to LD) anywhere to be found.

And yes, you're right - he might transfer. Hope he doesn't, but we'll go on either way.

Agree with ever word that you said. I shoulda included that even if you don't think it will be successful, you have to continue to try to open up the vertical passing game... oh wait, we don't have one. But, yes, you are exactly right. Ignoring what you have done successfully in every other win this year is unforgivable.

Not disrespecting your win for meltdown of the week, but I think that one clear winner is being ignored by Quoner. That would be the same person that had a lot to do with the new building going up across the street.

Quoner, you should really review the posts. I think Flyer is hands down the winner of the award this week, and rightly so. He darn sure ought to win something on the weekend of the groundbreaking.

Okay, so does 90 get fan points for this or is it too gray area??

Edited by CaribbeanGreen

Flyer is a previous winner.

Look, I know I've skipped two weeks of these recaps, but it really reads the same every week. The coaches will come and go, but the childish crap between the fans has pretty much been constant. Maybe it's what four years of sucking does, but at the basic level, about 40-50 people post here on a regular to semi-regular basis. There are at least 6 factions or super fan groups. Why? Sure, we all have a handful of people who we like to needle, but it's amazing to imagine that there are people who get off this board and steam over what they read. It's Thanksgiving Week, so try being thankful that this program has the fans it does (without a really good reason) than obsessing over who needs to be kicked out of the club. Try being thankful for the players willing to come here (especially those who turned down offers to other schools). And finally, and I think this is what lets me really get under the skin of some of you, I believe it's only sports: a bunch of teenagers running around on a field for our amusement because someone decided during history that feeding Christians to lions needed to be modified. You can bitch and moan all you want, but just remember exactly what you're letting consume you.

Remember those team paintball things they used to show on late TV a few years back? We should all get together and have a huge paintball fight based on factions. A winner-take-all paint war where the losing faction cannot post for a month.

Remember those team paintball things they used to show on late TV a few years back? We should all get together and have a huge paintball fight based on factions. A winner-take-all paint war where the losing faction cannot post for a month.

IN.

ETA: Wait, whose side am I on again?

Edited by Cerebus

Didn't they have like really kick-ass team names and claim to represent major cities, despite the fact it was obviously all shot in a day on an LA soundstage?

We'd never be able to work out which teams get forest, kelly, hunter, emerald, pine and feldgrau green paintballs.

Well...maybe we could figure out who takes feldgrau, but the other 5 are totally up for grabs

Edited by Censored by Laurie

We'd never be able to work out which teams get forest, kelly, hunter, emerald, pine and feldgrau green paintballs.

Well...maybe we could figure out you takes feldgrau, but the other 5 are totally up for grabs

Coach DeLoach backers would get blue paintballs to match his shirt. White paintballs could be assigned to those supporters of the white helmet. This could work....

Well...maybe we could figure out who takes feldgrau, but the other 5 are totally up for grabs

I swear I will (paint) pistol whip the first person who suggests my team should have helmet stickers.

Whichever team that is.

I swear I will (paint) pistol whip the first person who suggests my team should have helmet stickers.

Whichever team that is.

You're clearly posturing for the feldgrau team.

Don't worry...you guys always made the other side wear the stickers...