Looking Beyond The Win Column

James Mosley

This team could easily be sitting with 6 wins with two winnable games remaining, but, it's not. That does not change the way I see this team. I've been around this program for only a short three seasons but during that time I have seen a huge change in what this team is about. The foundation is finally setting in at North Texas and the future is brighter than some want to admit. The way I see it, the football program is better off now compared to what is was two seasons ago. Look beyond the wins and losses and you see a team on the verge. I say its on the verge of greatness. They were on the verge of winning 7 maybe 8 games this year. Most of the team is back next year. The negative dudes better get their punches in now cause a change is coming. I say anything under 8 wins 5 losses next year would be going the wrong way. You gotta look beyond the win column.....

Edited by James Mosley

Your post is a timely one James as I think the Mean Green Nation is collectively pretty down right now. I want people to know that I met Mr. Mosely and his wife after they had driven a long way from the Golden Triangle to participate in a banquet supporting the Mean Green team a couple of seasons ago. Great people and terrific supporters of not just their son but the entire program. The Mosley's will be supporters of this program for many years to come and we appreciate them very much.

While we haven't seen the wins we have fielded a more competitive team and no one can question this coaching staff's committment to the cause. With a couple more games left, it is not too late to make a strong statement heading into recruiting season. This team is young and will only get better next year. Even with was has been a stormy season, there are bright signs on the horizon. We have a lot to be grateful for with a new stadium becoming a reality.

I also credit Dodge for this, to my knowledge he has not once pointed the finger at the fans, AD Dept. or the administration during these losing seasons. He has always accepted responsibility. His ability to remain positive through all that he has been through over the past three years is really quite remarkable.

I have one last thing to say, you have good men leading the young men on this team. Good men! I'm proud and at peace knowing my son is being guided by these coaches through these adverse times. Looking from the outside in, you just don't get to see and taste all the crap being dealt these guys. They live day in and day out with the taste of losing, you only talk about or type about it. I see a program that will start a string of winning seasons on the horizon that will be like non other seen at North Texas and it comes solely from the foundation being laid today. I don't want any of this, "your drinking green cool aide crap" either, I see what I see. I see a change coming and some see it or call it "wins".

Edited by James Mosley

I have one last thing to say, you have good men leading the young men on this team. Good men! I'm proud and at peace knowing my son is being guided by these coaches through these adverse times. Looking from the outside in, you just don't get to see and taste all the crap being dealt these guys. They live day in and day out with the taste of losing, you only talk about or type about it. I see a program that will start a string of winning seasons on the horizon that will be like non other seen at North Texas and it comes solely from the foundation being laid today. I don't want any of this, "your drinking green cool aide crap" either, I see what I see. I see a change coming and some see it or call it "wins".

As a fan of this team, I appreciate you coming on this board posting this, as you have an insight of what is really going on with this program.

I hope Mr. Mosley is correct. I'm not exactly calling for Dodge's head yet(with the stadium campaign etc we probably can't afford to pay him off and bring in a coach worth a damn) - but I have very little hope for next year. If Dodge turns it around, great. However, if not I wonder if Mr. Mosley will face the music. Parents often leave when their kids graduate, we don't.

Edited by CMJ

My son seems to be pretty proud of North Texas so I see us returning to watch many games in the future. Trust me, the best thing this university has right now is Coach Dodge leading this team. Run him off now and you set yourself back. I take that back, I believe he has it at a level now that even I could get you six wins next year. lol

Look beyond the wins this year.

you just don't get to see and taste all the crap being dealt these guys. They live day in and day out with the taste of losing, you only talk about or type about it.

thank you for your insight but as you mentioned you've only been around three short seasons. some of us have been around over 30 years and endured many levels and years of losing, we know a lot about it. some of us are short on much patience.

Thanks for posting, Mr. Mosley. As others have mentioned, your post carries quite a bit more weight than almost anybody else, and I do find it encouraging. But I hope you do understand why so many of us are getting discouraged. Yes, it's the losses, but also how we're getting the losses--we're giving away games we should have wrapped up, and there are games in which we should have been competitive that we haven't--at least not for 4 quarters. And I believe Coach Dodge and the other coaches are very good men. I just hope that they can figure out a way to win these last 2 games this year. And I hope that they can give us a season next year that's not "what might have been." We've all had enough of that. Here's to your post being prophetic . . .

This team could easily be sitting with 6 wins with two winnable games remaining, but, it's not. That does not change the way I see this team. I've been around this program for only a short three seasons but during that time I have seen a huge change in what this team is about. The foundation is finally setting in at North Texas and the future is brighter than some want to admit. The way I see it, the football program is better off now compared to what is was two seasons ago. Look beyond the wins and losses and you see a team on the verge. I say its on the verge of greatness. They were on the verge of winning 7 maybe 8 games this year. Most of the team is back next year. The negative dudes better get their punches in now cause a change is coming. I say anything under 8 wins 5 losses next year would be going the wrong way. You gotta look beyond the win column.....

You took the words right out of my mouth! I could not agree any more with your thoughts! Thank You!

How 'bout you negative nelleys get up off your lazy duffs this Saturday and line up to show your support of the PLAYERS during the march through the village (2 hours before gametime just in case you didn't know). Even if you have a personal grudge against the coaches, you could at least let these young men and future North Texas Alumni know that you support them and wish them the best!

I don't care what others say about giving him another year. You can give the man 70 years and this team will still lose.

[...]

I'm not usually the one to put coaches down because I know it is one of the toughest jobs around but I honestly believe UNT will never win the sun belt again with Dodge at the helm. I do think Dodge can be a winning coach but he will have to change his thinking about the spread and also go after better players that includes recruiting outside of Texas. The problem is that it's to late for that now. He would have to change now and then it would be another 2 or 3 years before it would start working and his time is already ran out as far as i'm concerned. As Forest Gump would say...that's all I got to say about that.

It'll be interesting to see which NT football player's parent winds up being right about our future prospects under Dodge.

I have had the opportunty to meet the parents of many of the NT football players who gather at the parents home game tail gating set up. All of the football parents are great people, and all the parents talk about NT football!

Every parent has told me, they are very glad and proud, their son choose to play for Coach Dodge and North Texas! Every parent has told me, they support Coach Dodge and his development of North Texas football 110%!

Every parent has told me, NT football has the right man to rebuild North Texas football program!

The foundation of North Texas football is being built now. This is Coach Dodge's third year, and Deloches 2nd year.

This team is still a young team that will continue to grow and develop. Yeah, the close games with Ohio, UL, FAU,

and FIU are tough to take, but that is part of this team growing up. The team knows how close they have been,

which makes the players even more determined to finish out this season with wins. Success will come. Alot of

success! Parents do Believe in the Mean Green, and they believe in Coach Dodge!

I am right there with you James!

I can't disagree with anything you have said. My only fear is that our current coaching staff, for all of their many positives, is just not able to get ahead of the college football curve. We have been in almost every game and I just don't believe that the talent that we have on the field, as far as players, is what is holding UNT back.

Thank you for being on this board!

Thank you Mr. Mosley. Always nice to hear from a person so close to the program regarding what they see, hear and feel regarding the team. I too believe this team is being guided by some very fine men and that the team has more quality on its roster than it has in awhile. I am proud to be a member of the Mean Green Nation. As you say...and as I have tried to point out (often in vain), it isn't always about the wins and losses. I think this team CAN and WILL win with TD as its head coach. The team has come a long way and will only get better. I look forward to a great win on senior day. UNT needs more people around the program like the Mosley family!

Amen to that my friends.

GO MEAN GREEN!

I can't disagree with anything you have said. My only fear is that our current coaching staff, for all of their many positives, is just not able to get ahead of the college football curve. We have been in almost every game and I just don't believe that the talent that we have on the field, as far as players, is what is holding UNT back.

Thank you for being on this board!

I don't think it is a coaching curve, I think we are still a player or two on offense and a player or two on defense from being a dominating sun belt team. Coach Dodge can coach, Coach DeLoach can coach, give both of these men two more playmakers on their side of the ball and see what happens. I'm simple minded and think they have the players coming, or, the players that are already there to make that difference next year. This team has bought in on Coach Dodges plan, this team came within a few plays of making it happen this year, next year the plan comes together. I'm done talking about it, please one of you naysayers please copy and keep this post for a later date.......

The players and coaches are all great men, that is not in dispute here.

Our coaches are unable to scheme out a win. They are unable to exploit a team’s weakness or neutralize a team’s strengths. There does not seem to be any stategy going on.

and I belive that is why we have had a losing record since coach Dodge has been at the helm.

Maybe TD's learning curve takes longer than a normal D-1 coach would get but during the interim, we are bleeding...badly.

This team could easily be sitting with 6 wins with two winnable games remaining, but, it's not.

I think that's the most frustrating part for me. I didn't have very high expectations for this season (3-4 wins and close games) but, knowing that we could very easily have been a .500 team and witnessing the manner in which we've lost this year, makes it more difficult to stomach. A .500 team with 2-3 more "winnable" games would have given me much more hope for next season and, I feel, done wonders for our 2010 recruiting efforts. I do like Dodge and everything he represents so I'd love nothing more than to see him succeed here. However, I am also of the mindset that if something isn't working, change is a necessary and inevitable occurrence .

The foundation is finally setting in at North Texas and the future is brighter than some want to admit. The way I see it, the football program is better off now compared to what is was two seasons ago. Look beyond the wins and losses and you see a team on the verge. I say its on the verge of greatness. They were on the verge of winning 7 maybe 8 games this year. Most of the team is back next year. The negative dudes better get their punches in now cause a change is coming.

I really, really hope you're right. I sincerely thank you for sharing your viewpoints and I hope the majority of our team feels the same way Micah does. I'd love to hear anything you'd like to share regarding this team's halftime discussions/adjustments.

I say anything under 8 wins 5 losses next year would be going the wrong way.

So you're going to go ahead and make the bold prediction that we'll be in a bowl game next season!! I like it.

Edited by gangrene

Mr Mosely,

This has to be the most timely and newsworthy thread I have read on this board in some time.

Things I like about this thread:

** It comes from a player's parent.

** Said parent used his real name!

** Historically, most posts from players parents are not positive.

** It provides insight into a program that is counter to almost everything else posted about it. At least from this point of view, the program is not imploding in the locker room, the leadership is strong, the future is bright.

I believe I met your family at an Arkansas State game in Jonesboro a couple of years ago. Micah played reall well that night, in a now-common heartbreaking loss. I was proud of our team that night, and your post made my day. Thanks Mr Mosely.

GMG

Mr Mosely,

This has to be the most timely and newsworthy thread I have read on this board in some time.

Things I like about this thread:

** It comes from a player's parent.

** Said parent used his real name!

** Historically, most posts from players parents are not positive.

** It provides insight into a program that is counter to almost everything else posted about it. At least from this point of view, the program is not imploding in the locker room, the leadership is strong, the future is bright.

I believe I met your family at an Arkansas State game in Jonesboro a couple of years ago. Micah played reall well that night, in a now-common heartbreaking loss. I was proud of our team that night, and your post made my day. Thanks Mr Mosely.

GMG

Your biggest and most accurate statement is the program is not imploding in the locker room, the leadership is strong, the future is bright. How very true! The biggest bond a team can have is the bond of fighting together in adverse times. Times when everyone from your local newspaper, to the die hard fan, can find nothing but negative stuff about you and your efforts. This team is staying together through it all. Yes, I will go on record and proclaim it as a BOLD statement, this team is very much capable and will be a BOWL TEAM next year. There will be change next year!!! I believe you will see the players finish this year out strong and ready themselves in the off season like never before. Edited by James Mosley

It'll be interesting to see which NT football player's parent winds up being right about our future prospects under Dodge.

Thank you for posting this.

I am not saying that the original poster is wrong... And mr. mosely certainly is entitled to his opinion. But, I have heard from players in the program that have said otherwise.

Yes, we are a few plays away from 6 wins. But, we are also a few plays away from being completely winless. The "if you take away this and that" sort of thing doesn't add up because that can go the other way too. We should just count what really happens.

sorry, i am one of those negative neds that is having a hard time seeing through this. I agree though that it seems that dodge is a pretty good guy that cares about the behavior off the field which I can appreciate. But, i think we can actually find someone like that plus win a few more ball games.