Memphis Considering Mtsu's Stocksill

SUMG

That lists reminds me of another good coaching candidate out there: Terry Bowden. I think this is his first year at North Alabama. They are 10-1 (the only loss in 3 OT) and they were ranked #1 in Division II.

That's exactly who I expect Memphis to go gunning for. The Tigers aren't above the high-profile name trumping most other factors, and i think I recall a statement after West's ouster saying as much (think the FAU of C-USA). That said, I do think Stockstill is a darn solid coach - no four year plan there, that's for sure.

Mentioned along with Terry Bowden and a few others. Would Memphis be that much of a step up for him?

In another story linked to on that page, the week 11 [post="http://middletennessee.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1016813

"]wrap:

TEAM THAT MOST DISAPPOINTED

NORTH TEXAS- The problems continue to mount for the struggling Mean Green. After winning its season opener, UNT has dropped seven of their last eight games and blew a golden chance to pick up a much needed win on Saturday night. The Mean Green blew a 14 point second half lead and surrendered 21 unanswered points in a 35-28 loss to Florida International. Coach Todd Dodge has still yet to have a breakthrough season and his job status remains a major question mark.

Why would another school want to hire Stockstill? He's a Sun Belt coach at a school with a small operating budget and APR scholarship restrictions. He took over for an underachieving coach with some disciplinary problems.

Has the guy even won 5 games in his career yet? Isn't he going to need another season to earn his first .500 record?

Guest GrayEagleOne

Why would another school want to hire Stockstill? He's a Sun Belt coach at a school with a small operating budget and APR scholarship restrictions. He took over for an underachieving coach with some disciplinary problems.

Has the guy even won 5 games in his career yet? Isn't he going to need another season to earn his first .500 record?

Yes and no. The Blue Raiders are 7-3 this year with games against ASU and ULM to go. Very good chance that Stockstill goes 9-3 which would raise his overall record to 26-23. He would have to lose both games to fall below .500.

And, as you say, he did it with scholarship restrictions and a small operatiing budget.

Yes and no. The Blue Raiders are 7-3 this year with games against ASU and ULM to go. Very good chance that Stockstill goes 9-3 which would raise his overall record to 26-23. He would have to lose both games to fall below .500.

And, as you say, he did it with scholarship restrictions and a small operatiing budget.

Well, I'm sure it was because of longstanding local recruiting ties and the loyal support of a huge media market. And he must have two or three highly rated sons playing for him. That must be why he's been successful under such similar circumstances.

That lists reminds me of another good coaching candidate out there: Terry Bowden. I think this is his first year at North Alabama. They are 10-1 (the only loss in 3 OT) and they were ranked #1 in Division II.

Surely a D II school couldn't afford the money for a guy who at one time had Auburn at 11-0? :huh::whip:

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

North Alabama is a perrennial contender, which is exactly why Terry went there. He had designs on a championship, knowing that they had an excellent chance. I believe UNA's won like 72% of their games over the last 20 years. It's a school that's all about transfers, and Terry and Jeff (his unpaid assistant) can surely finagle more than a few of those. Half the team are SEC transfers.

Not to say he isn't an excellent coach, because he is, but there are reasons he ended up at UNA and is succeeding there.