I'm Still Not Freaking Out.

I predicted we'd be 2-8 going into the Army game. We're 2-8 going into the Army game.

Yes, it's disappointing that two very injured and "on the ropes" teams beat us, but...I'm not freaking out unless Army beats us. If Army beats us, I'll call church.

Still, it's hard to understand why we can't get the offense, defense, and special teams together for 60 minutes for one full game under Dodge. Even for me, it's hard to believe.

But, I'm a man of my word. We're where I thought we'd be after 10 games. Unless we lose to Army, this coaching staff and roster is about where I thought we'd be in 2009.

I predicted we'd be 2-8 going into the Army game. We're 2-8 going into the Army game.

Yes, it's disappointing that two very injured and "on the ropes" teams beat us, but...I'm not freaking out unless Army beats us. If Army beats us, I'll call church.

Still, it's hard to understand why we can't get the offense, defense, and special teams together for 60 minutes for one full game under Dodge. Even for me, it's hard to believe.

But, I'm a man of my word. We're where I thought we'd be after 10 games. Unless we lose to Army, this coaching staff and roster is about where I thought we'd be in 2009.

What have you done with TFLF?

Low expectations lower knee-jerk reactions.

Look, alot of you really thought this could be a turn around season. I didn't. So, this is right...my bar wasn't very high. When I said this wasn't the turn around season, I got alot of hate. It just didn't look loaded to me on paper like it did for some of you. Even though I'm not a coach, it just didn't look good everywhere to me.

Still, what can you do? You have what you have. We do need more DLs. We do need a full year under Char strengthening and conditioning this team. Shavod and others out there really look more fat than strong. I don't think that will be the case next season. If Char could get Shavod to drop 20-30 pounds, he'd be a beast.

You all know I'm no Dodge cheerleader. But, I just feel like we're a tick here and there from getting over the hump. A couple more offseason coaching moves, a few more DLs/DEs, a full offseason under Char...and, guys, I think this thing can go well in 2010.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Look, alot of you really thought this could be a turn around season. I didn't. So, this is right...my bar wasn't very high. When I said this wasn't the turn around season, I got alot of hate. It just didn't look loaded to me on paper like it did for some of you. Even though I'm not a coach, it just didn't look good everywhere to me.

Still, what can you do? You have what you have. We do need more DLs. We do need a full year under Char strengthening and conditioning this team. Shavod and others out there really look more fat than strong. I don't think that will be the case next season. If Char could get Shavod to drop 20-30 pounds, he'd be a beast.

You all know I'm no Dodge cheerleader. But, I just feel like we're a tick here and there from getting over the hump. A couple more offseason coaching moves, a few more DLs/DEs, a full offseason under Char...and, guys, I think this thing can go well in 2010.

You may be right... but, even though reality is matching your predictions, i still don't see how any one can justify him coming back. Others have been fired for doing A LOT less. Thusly so, freaking out is quite justifiable.

I agree that we are just a (fill in the blank) away from winning the game. But, that has been our story under Dodge and I am not sure it will stop even come next season. He has to take responsiblity for bringing in the coaches, lack of DLs/DEs, etc. I would not shed a tear if we were to reassign the losingness coach in unt history.

TFLF is right and everyone should have known the same thing, though he is not a cheerleader and many of us hoped for more he is spot on. I know the reality and I know the hope this season could have been better we had the talent. We don't have the coaching experience yet or overwhelming talent to overcome it, and Dodge will figure it out or he will be shown the door. I do think Dodge will be a great head coach one day, but when I am not as sure as I was.

You can be a cheerleader and a realist at the same time, this game was much better then last weeks, I believe everyone tried, unlike last week when it looked like the team had checked out.

Edited by KingDL1

Plus, I think the DC and DL coaches have gotten some improvements out of the DL in some of our recent games. I think they're actually starting to figure that part out. The secondary is still a big concern.

But, I just feel like we're a tick here and there from getting over the hump. A couple more offseason coaching moves, a few more DLs/DEs, a full offseason under Char...and, guys, I think this thing can go well in 2010.

The excuse of every bad team. Next year we will be in the same boat. I also predicted between 1 and 3 wins for the year, but that doesn't mean that this is acceptable. Things change, as did the expectations after the 1st 2 games. How do you ignore the MASSIVE regression of defense and special teams after those 1st two games? Ball St may be crap, but Ohio wasn'r and isn't, and this team had every chance to win that game, but, of course, did not.

If we played Ohio next week, what do you think the final score would be? I think we would lose by 3 touchdowns.

This team is going backwards, and that doesn't bode well for next year. Period.

You may be right... but, even though reality is matching your predictions, i still don't see how any one can justify him coming back. Others have been fired for doing A LOT less. Thusly so, freaking out is quite justifiable.

I agree that we are just a (fill in the blank) away from winning the game. But, that has been our story under Dodge and I am not sure it will stop even come next season. He has to take responsiblity for bringing in the coaches, lack of DLs/DEs, etc. I would not shed a tear if we were to reassign the losingness coach in unt history.

I still think it's so simple that it won't be done. Todd Dodge has got to have someone on the offensive coaching staff with more experience at coordinator to give him a different look at things.

I know there's a cult of Dodge/Ford. But, what is it, really? Ford was his high school coordinator. What does he really add when the game is on the line, or when the team is in a rut? All he knows is being Dodge's assistant.

This will be a tough call for Dodge, but Ford and George have got to go in favor of more experienced guys. You can't have yes-men all around you. I've already posted weeks ago that if Dodge would jettison those two and get college guys in there, I guarantee a Sun Belt title in 2010.

Dodge clung to Robert Drake for a season too long. If he clings to Ford and George, with this offense, it will always be inconsistent. Every other school in the conference takes stock of what happens and makes changes. This thing doesn't exist in a bubble. Dodge has got to give himself a full deck to play with.

He can't continually let opposing defensive coordinators beat him in the second half...and sometimes throughout the whole game. That has been done since day one. It's still that way. Ford may be a nice guy, but opposing defensive coordinators figure him out and he can't adjust. And, George's guys still run iffy routes and drop too many passes.

It's not personal. At this level, it's a business. Dodge has got to realize this. How can he look at the way they were shut down in the second half again and not understand it?

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

I still think it's so simple that it won't be done. Todd Dodge has got to have someone on the offensive coaching staff with more experience at coordinator to give him a different look at things.

I know there's a cult of Dodge/Ford. But, what is it, really? Ford was his high school coordinator. What does he really add when the game is on the line, or when the team is in a rut? All he knows is being Dodge's assistant.

This will be a tough call for Dodge, but Ford and George have got to go in favor of more experienced guys. You can't have yes-men all around you. I've already posted weeks ago that if Dodge would jettison those two and get college guys in there, I guarantee a Sun Belt title in 2010.

Dodge clung to Robert Drake for a season too long. If he clings to Ford and George, with this offense, it will always be inconsistent. Every other school in the conference takes stock of what happens and makes changes. This thing doesn't exist in a bubble. Dodge has got to give himself a full deck to play with.

He can't continually let opposing defensive coordinators beat him in the second half...and sometimes throughout the whole game. That has been done since day one. It's still that way. Ford may be a nice guy, but opposing defensive coordinators figure him out and he can't adjust. And, George's guys still run iffy routes and drop too many passes.

It's not personal. At this level, it's a business. Dodge has got to realize this. How can he look at the way they were shut down in the second half again and not understand it?

Yea I am sure there will be offensive gurus falling all over themselves to join a staff that has won 5 games in three years.

I didn't say you were wrong, I had this team about where they are too, I was hoping for more, but merely commenting on how calm you seem to be.

He can't continually let opposing defensive coordinator beat him in the second half...and sometimes throughout the whole game. That has been done since day one. It's still that way. Ford may be a nice guy, but opposing defensive coordinators figure him out and he can't adjust. And, George's guy still run iffy routes and drop too many passes.

TFLF, i enjoy your insight as always, but a question - what other coach anywhere in a remotely similar situation is given that kind of rope? Three seasons into this horrendous era, no resume of collegiate success, no positive historical indicators of future success, and he's effectively allowed to gradually replace his entire staff over a three year disaster? I'm not saying it's a bad idea - if Football Trilli stays, I completely support your idea 100% re: Ford (tonight's 2nd half was further evidence of the epic level we get outcoached after halftime adjustments), but how are we able to say "Look Pigskin Vic, we know you've had zero success in any area and are admitting that you were completely inept and ineffective and hiring your own staff at any position, but we want you to stay on and just bring in all new guys to work under you."

I'm not saying it's wrong, but it sure feels squirrely.

Edited by CaribbeanGreen

You are correct about that; something that was pointed out by our local and successful HS coach here in Euless, Steve Lineweaver. A player he had hoped would get a good scholarship offer was hurt in a game last year; when asked about the guy's scholarship chances, Lineweaver seemed down, mentioning that "colleges are not charities". The guy did get a scholarship, to a DII school, I believe. Hey, TFLF, speaking of DII, any word on the Midwestern State-ACU playoff game today in Wichita Falls?

TFLF, i enjoy your insight as always, but a question - what other coach anywhere in a remotely similar situation is given that kind of rope? Three seasons into this horrendous, no resume of collegiate success, no positive historical indicators of future success, and he's effectively allowed to gradually replace his entire staff over a three year disaster? I'm not saying it's a bad idea - if Football Trilli stays, I completely support your idea 100% re: Ford (tonight's 2nd half was further evidence of the epic level we get outcoached after halftime adjustments), but how are we able to say "Look Pigskin Vic, we know you've had zero success in any area and are admitting that you were completely inept and ineffective and hiring your own staff at any position, but we want you to stay on and just bring in all new guys to work under you."

I'm not saying it's wrong, but it sure feels squirrely.

I think we'd be talking about guys in other non-BCS FBS schools who are now position coaches or FCS coaches. I still say move Petersen to the offensive side of the ball where he spent 17 years at Air Force and hire an authentic safeties coach.

You are correct about that; something that was pointed out by our local and successful HS coach here in Euless, Steve Lineweaver. A player he had hoped would get a good scholarship offer was hurt in a game last year; when asked about the guy's scholarship chances, Lineweaver seemed down, mentioning that "colleges are not charities". The guy did get a scholarship, to a DII school, I believe. Hey, TFLF, speaking of DII, any word on the Midwestern State-ACU playoff game today in Wichita Falls?

ACU, 24-21. They play NW Mizzou next weekend.

ACU, 24-21. They play NW Mizzou next weekend.

Dang, Midwestern State was the first college I attended (in the late 60's) when they didn't have football. I was hoping MSU could pull it out today, but this is probably the best year they've had since bringing back football. But, beating ACU last week, they sure weren't going to sneak up on them this time.

I think we'd be talking about guys in other non-BCS FBS schools who are now position coaches or FCS coaches. I still say move Petersen to the offensive side of the ball where he spent 17 years at Air Force and hire an authentic safeties coach.

Chuck was great at Air Force as QB/Off Co. However he did play safety, so I am alarmed at the shortcomings in the secondary. However I think its the corner play coupled with the scheme

my concern with dodge and our fanbase is that there is no sense of urgency or burning platform. this team, athletic dept and fanbase need to be standing on a burning platform initiating change and execution. this is not happening anywhere and that pisses me off! if you have high standards and expectations, surround yourself with winners, you often succeed. you sccrew up you are out of here. there had to be year 1 year 2 year 3 goals and someone please tell me that these goals are being reviewed, actions are evaluated and accountability ensues. if that is not our athletic department today then top leadership needs to go.

I had a meeting tihs week with a casino owner who asked why this employee was still here and she did was fail to offer features and benefits on a reservation call. he said if she doesn't get written up, the manager gets written up, if the manager doesn't get written up the director gets written up, if the director doesn't get written up the vice president gets written up - he calmly said - someone is getting written up for poor performance! I knew what I needed to do after that meeting - why doesn't this staff?

GRV

Chuck was great at Air Force as QB/Off Co. However he did play safety, so I am alarmed at the shortcomings in the secondary. However I think its the corner play coupled with the scheme

Yeah, but he played safety like 30 years ago when everyone was running the Wishbone or the I.

I'd like co-offensive coordinators, one for the run game (Leftwich) and one for the pass game (Petersen).

It'd look like this:

Dodge, head coach/QBs

Leftwich, run game coordinator/OLs

Petersen, pass game coordinator/WRs

Gandy, running backs/ST

Nelson, DL

Rausch, DE

Deloach, defensive coordinator/LB

Buckels, CBs

NEW HIRE, secondary/safeties

Yeah, but he played safety like 30 years ago when everyone was running the Wishbone or the I.

I'd like co-offensive coordinators, one for the run game (Leftwich) and one for the pass game (Petersen).

It'd look like this:

Dodge, head coach/QBs

Gandy, running backs/ST

Nelson, DL

Rausch, DE

Deloach, defensive coordinator/LB

Buckels, CBs

NEW HIRE, secondary/safeties

Since that would leave us with one fewer coach than we have now, could Gandy have someone to help him with ST. I'd like for us to hire the guy Texas State has as linebackers/ST coach. That might even allow Deloach to go back to coaching safeties; a couple of the guys he coached at UCLA got drafted, one pretty high.

Since that would leave us with one fewer coach than we have now, could Gandy have someone to help him with ST. I'd like for us to hire the guy Texas State has as linebackers/ST coach. That might even allow Deloach to go back to coaching safeties; a couple of the guys he coached at UCLA got drafted, one pretty high.

Okay. How about we pull in the heroes of yesteryears squads who are now coaching at Cisco JC?

Dodge, head coach/QBs

Gandy, running backs/Co-Special Teams

ANDY BREWSTER, TE/Co-Special Teams

Nelson, DL

Rausch, DE

CHRIS HURD/LBs

Buckels, CBs

Deloach, defensive-coordinator/safeties

Okay. How about we pull in the heroes of yesteryears squads who are now coaching at Cisco JC?

Dodge, head coach/QBs

Gandy, running backs/Co-Special Teams

ANDY BREWSTER, TE/Co-Special Teams

Nelson, DL

Rausch, DE

CHRIS HURD/LBs

Buckels, CBs

Deloach, defensive-coordinator/safeties

We don't need a coach for TE's....we never use them. If Todge is so stubborn that he still believes, after coaching against team after team on the college level utilize tight end and fullbacks effectively and won't use them in three years do we really believe that he is going to turn HIS offense over to another coach other than Ford or himself?

We don't need a coach for TE's....we never use them. If Todge is so stubborn that he still believes, after coaching against team after team on the college level utilize tight end and fullbacks effectively and won't use them in three years do we really believe that he is going to turn HIS offense over to another coach other than Ford or himself?

That's kind of my point. If Ford wasn't the OC and someone else was, I think that someone else might be able to convince Dodge.

Of course, I could be wrong. It could be that loss after loss after loss hasn't sunk in with Dodge and he really does believe no changes need to be made. If that's the case...just clean 'em all out, hire Eric Russell, who is currently making about $100k less than Dodge as Texas Tech's ST coach. He'd get a pay raise, and we'd get someone in here who has experience at this level and at this program.

I did notice that Seidle got credit for one catch (8 yards, I think). Was that his first of the season?