Rick Villareal Should Not Be Allowed To Hire Our Next Hc

UNT_playmaker

If you recall, Gene Stallings said we didn't need a new stadium....what BS....don't get me wrong, I like stallings and have heard him speak before...he is very good, but we don't need Gene to tell us what to do with our program. And you should give thanks everyday that RV came to UNT as our AD regardless of how TD works out....every year..year end and year out, colleges...ALL OF THEM...hire and fire coaches because they don't work out...it is no different at UNT than at UT, A&M and every other university in the US.....they have all had coaches that didn't work out....but RV has done a great job at UNT and if you don't think so you just have been around long enough to have prespective, because in the past it really sucked bad...real bad and now we can see light at the end of the tunnel....several years off but a new era is on its way.

Stallings said that we didnt need a new stadium about ten years ago. The reason he said it was because he knew we were in position to finance and raise money for a new one and our attendance was in the 10,000's at the time...

I mean dont get me wrong everyone at UNT wanted a new stadium, because Fouts was in bad shape, but it wasnt the right time to move forward upon it.

2001: was when the campaign started and it was perfect timing: Sun Belt Champs, increased attendance, and the metroplex was aware of our success. Unfortanely, the referendum didnt pass because some nerds wanted more money to into the library to buy more shelving....

That caused an 8 year delay and raised costs upon the future students in the tens of millions and of course what we have now with the football team.

We couldn't afford Harbaugh and Fisher. They were asking for more than we could afford to pay. That is the bottom line. We wanted them but we couldn't get 'em.

Then we have some major misappropriations of funds going on at UNT. I've got an idea, why don't we just dismiss the entire coaching staff and make Riley our player/coach?? That way, we wouldn't have to worry about Riley leaving with his dad and we could save up the money we'd be paying the coaching staff for three or four years so we could hire one of these big names. I read somewhere that Riley wants to be a coach someday anyway, so why not now? For those of you that don't understand tongue-in-cheek humor, I'm joking (there are always a few that take every post seriously). However, to me, that scenario is no more laughable than stating we can't afford to hire a lifetime coordinator or an up-and-coming coach, both of whom were looking for their first FBS HC job.

Then we have some major misappropriations of funds going on at UNT. I've got an idea, why don't we just dismiss the entire coaching staff and make Riley our player/coach?? That way, we wouldn't have to worry about Riley leaving with his dad and we could save up the money we'd be paying the coaching staff for three or four years so we could hire one of these big names. I read somewhere that Riley wants to be a coach someday anyway, so why not now? For those of you that don't understand tongue-in-cheek humor, I'm joking (there are always a few that take every post seriously). However, to me, that scenario is no more laughable than stating we can't afford to hire a lifetime coordinator or an up-and-coming coach, both of whom were looking for their first FBS HC job.

Gangrene, I doubt there is a major misappropriation of funds because there are not enough funds to misappropriate. Look at the gameday program and you will see as an example that we only have 12 at the $2500 level. The numbers go down as you go up. I agree with you that we should do better, and UNT should go out and hire what they need, not what they can afford. Again, Fisher was leaving w/ a national title at LSU, he was not coming here. We could not afford the assistant coaches that he would want to bring. Sorry, but its true. Now, I have said before that the athletic department should hold at least a meeting with the Mean Green Club (but still open to everybody) and give us a true assessment of the program. It is obvious none of us really know, we are basing it on information that we have heard from different folks. You know one poster said we had 40 million in relation to the stadium, while another said 4 million. Some say donations have increased since Dodge, but I would argue pricing in equipment and travel have made that a wash. All of us have good intentions with our posts on some of this stuff, just as you do, I am not trying to point out that you are right or wrong.

Again, I wish we could get a Kevin Sumlin like Houston. He was the OU coordinator. Maybe we could not afford somebody at that level, but we could get one from a Boise, Fresno, or an asst. from the Houston staff. It would be a better start the next time around.

Edited by Green Dozer

I would be interested in that to Bowler. I would also like to know that they actually set foot on campus for a formal interview.

I search and found a few details. Fisher was never interviewed, not sure if he was called or not but he was not interviewed.

On Dec. 6 or 7, Harbaugh did stop by for an interview while on his way to an interview at Tulane! That is a lot of interest - I just happened to be in the neighborhood, so why not.

Here is more information from the time.

Original thread about FWST article

Edited by VideoEagle

I search and found a few details. Fisher was never interviewed, not sure if he was called or not but he was not interviewed.

On Dec. 6 or 7, Harbaugh did stop by for an interview while on his way to an interview at Tulane! That is a lot of interest - I just happened to be in the neighborhood, so why not.

Here is more information from the time.

Original thread about FWST article

Thanks, Video, so basically RV had his heart set on Dodge from the start, if he would have gotten Nix or Fisher , even for an interview, we would have found the money for these hires. I personally would have loved Carthel.

If you recall, Gene Stallings said we didn't need a new stadium....what BS....don't get me wrong, I like stallings and have heard him speak before...he is very good, but we don't need Gene to tell us what to do with our program. And you should give thanks everyday that RV came to UNT as our AD regardless of how TD works out....every year..year end and year out, colleges...ALL OF THEM...hire and fire coaches because they don't work out...it is no different at UNT than at UT, A&M and every other university in the US.....they have all had coaches that didn't work out....but RV has done a great job at UNT and if you don't think so you just have been around long enough to have prespective, because in the past it really sucked bad...real bad and now we can see light at the end of the tunnel....several years off but a new era is on its way.

Amen brother! Thank you. I could not have said it better.

And you have proof of this I assume?

Coach Todd Dodge is the proof.

Besides, this would have - could have argument is always hypothetical. "What if" RV hired one of the two that were mentioned. "What if" they had the same record as Coach Dodge, to date. The same people would be wearing out their fingerprints on the keyboard saying the same thing as they are saying today.............

Hummmmmmmmmm..............same things were being said about all the coaches since the inception of gmg.

After the Monroe game, last week, I had been invited to RV's home for some after the game drinks and a little bbq. He showed me his garden and planted some coins in the dirt by his back fence and confided in me that these coins would grow into a money tree and NT would have all the money it needed to hire multi million dollar coaches. He wants Urban Myer from Florida and his #2 choice is Nick Saben. Said would be a nice fit for Fouts Field.

Coach Todd Dodge is the proof.

Besides, this would have - could have argument is always hypothetical. "What if" RV hired one of the two that were mentioned. "What if" they had the same record as Coach Dodge, to date. The same people would be wearing out their fingerprints on the keyboard saying the same thing as they are saying today.............

Hummmmmmmmmm..............same things were being said about all the coaches since the inception of gmg.

After the Monroe game, last week, I had been invited to RV's home for some after the game drinks and a little bbq. He showed me his garden and planted some coins in the dirt by his back fence and confided in me that these coins would grow into a money tree and NT would have all the money it needed to hire multi million dollar coaches. He wants Urban Myer from Florida and his #2 choice is Nick Saben. Said would be a nice fit for Fouts Field.

The old "wanna see my garden" trick. Works every time.

But have you seen the Garden Weasel?

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

If this was done last time, we would have had Jerry Glanville, Jim Harbaugh, Jimbo Fisher, and countless other qualified candidates to chose from, coaches from all over the nation and not only the local 5A football districts.

A few years back we hired the great Gene Stallings who still lives in the area to look at how bad our program was and what could be done to fix it. Get Gene Stallings in here, he would know what is best and what is needed and what we are lacking.

Experience counts....

Well North Texas BOR, heres your chance to fix a major problem, hire an outside consultant, believe me its worth every penny to analyze and interview your new football coach and the new assistants that will rebuild this thatered program.

Prevent this from ever happening again:

Todd Dodge: Do you mind if I bring all of my high school assistants with me up to Denton. :D

Rick Villareal: I don't see why not? B)

At first I thought you were serious. There really should be a sarcasm font. If you are serious... naaa you can't be serious.

none of those you mentioned would come to a school whose average attendance is 15,000+, plays in an outdated statium, and pays only $275,000. you get what you can afford to pay for.

So, we can mark you down for your $1 million donation for next year then?

Well, aside from the standard consultant stereotypes; someone with a briefcase who spends the night in your office, someone from more than fifty miles away (or, according to my folks in Wichita Falls, someone from Dallas)

I like the comparison of consultants to pigeons. They fly in, crap all over everything, then fly off.

Yawn the fan base (this board) was clamoring for Dodge. Don't blame RV for giving the people what they wanted.

RV should learn his lesson and not listen to the fans (except for me, because I was right about Dodge.)

Why are you still here? You're not even a fan, remember?

No seriously, im being serious....

A consultant will help.... Do any of yall have faith that RV will conduct a legit search and interview of available coaches.

Two questions:

1.) You said the BOR should hire this consultant. Are you aware that none of the BOR live in Denton, and that it's offices are being moved to Dallas?

2.) If you don't think that RV should be involved in the process, why not just advocate his being replaced as AD, by whatever name you come up with? If it's only because of UNT being about to start construction of a new football stadium, don't you realize that we'll probably live with the results of that a lot longer than the next head football coach?

And a couple of points:

1.) Most people on this board, many former UNT lettermen, and the DFW area media were all clamoring for the Dodge hire; why should the BOR listen to us now?

2.) It seems like RV made a demonstrably good decision on the Johnny Jones hire; would that have been more or less likely based on your consultant's advice?

3.) You've talked about the big names who we could have chosen from. Actually Dodge was a very big name at the time. Although he hasn't done as well at this level as so many of us had hoped, do you have any idea whether Jerry Glanville, one of those "big names" you mentioned, has done any better at FCS Portland State? Please, look that one up and report back to us?

eulessismore,

You are trying to use actual logic and reasoning. That isn't allowed on this board.

Remember, the person you are trying to reason with was convinced that a HURRICANE (65+ mile per hour winds and lots of rain) was going to hit nearly 400 miles inland.

I don't remember any wind, but we got some light showers here in Euless throughout most of the day. It was nice.

Two questions:

1.) You said the BOR should hire this consultant. Are you aware that none of the BOR live in Denton, and that it's offices are being moved to Dallas?

2.) If you don't think that RV should be involved in the process, why not just advocate his being replaced as AD, by whatever name you come up with? If it's only because of UNT being about to start construction of a new football stadium, don't you realize that we'll probably live with the results of that a lot longer than the next head football coach?

And a couple of points:

1.) Most people on this board, many former UNT lettermen, and the DFW area media were all clamoring for the Dodge hire; why should the BOR listen to us now?

2.) It seems like RV made a demonstrably good decision on the Johnny Jones hire; would that have been more or less likely based on your consultant's advice?

3.) You've talked about the big names who we could have chosen from. Actually Dodge was a very big name at the time. Although he hasn't done as well at this level as so many of us had hoped, do you have any idea whether Jerry Glanville, one of those "big names" you mentioned, has done any better at FCS Portland State? Please, look that one up and report back to us?

Euless,

Didnt get to see you had a question posted for me, until recently.

1. It doesnt matter that the BOR wants to move to Dallas, since they all live in that vicinity, its their perogative and theres not much we can do about it. I dont believe that this will have any effect upon our athletic program nor should it have any effect if they can get an outside consultant to evaluate the program or chose our new HC.

2. The students and UNT_Flyer, and SGA were the ones who got us where we are with the new football stadium, only the Prez or BOR can make that decision or unless he quits and gets hired somewhere else, which isnt likely. A big -time AD can easily shake things around and make enough noise to get things moving, look up Ornisi and SMU