Unt Football--what Lies Ahead

untjim1995

I apologize for the length of this, but I think we all have really gotten down--rightfully so--about where our program currently resides in the FBS division, but I feel like there are some positives that are ahead that I want to discuss. This is a list of things that I think will impact UNT football positively for the future ahead.

1. The new stadium will open up new funds and recruiting for this program at the perfect time. I truly beleive that our university decided that it wanted to be in the football business because if the vote didn't pass, I am 100% convinced we were either going back to 1-aa or giving up the program eventually if we were stuck at Fouts.

2. Dodge's situation-- The university made a mistake giving him a 5-year deal (should have been no more than 4) But, since we have this, next year will be his year to either stay here for a while or get fired. There is no way we can afford to fire him now, but there is no way he will be coaching in 2011 with only one year on his contract. RV knows recruiting will suffer mightily if he goes into a final year of a contract with no extension. So a FINAL bit of more patience will give us this certainty--Dodge is either our coach going into a new stadium with an extension or we will have a new one. The buyout is too steep now, but it won't be next year. The AD has been on record about next year needing 4-5 wins, but I now believe that the number of wins is a bare minimum of 7 with a bowl appearance, unless all slots are full. Otherwise, a coaching change will be done. I'm not completely ruling out this year, but I highly doubt it will happen in 2009 or early 2010.

3.Potential Replacement List--there are going to be a lot of folks out there that will entertain this opportunity more now that at any point in the last 30 years. We will have the the final piece of the facility-puzzle in play. The academics, the location, and the increased fan support are the biggest reasons to believe that a guy with a lot of name value will come knocking. Just a few of the names that I believe will be talked about will be Franchione, Kragthorpe, Bower, Dan McCarney, Chan Gailey, not to mention a few other well-known coordinators from big-time schools. Seriously, this should be a job search that will bring up names we never would have dreamed of in the past.

4. SMU---TCUs success over the last 10 years is miraculous--very similar to where K-State went in the 90s from their horrid decades before. The thing with TCUs success though was that it was in Ft. Worth. We all know that the major media outlets in this town revolve around Dallas. Denton is much more aligned with Dallas than FW, and the history between UNT and SMU is so much stronger, that the SMU program's losing ways didn't really affect us that much at all. The two conferences are pretty equal, with a few differences here and there, and the recruiting was about the same, too. Yeah, they could pay more for a coach, but the success never manifested itself for SMU, especially when Phil Bennett made twice as much as Dickey and had a worse record, so we all kind of laughed. But then SMU got real serious with the cash and bought June Jones for $2 Million. And in the first year, they were terrible. But the money paid is starting to pay off big time and SMU is about to go bowling--for the first time in 25 years. Meanwhile, we are floundering at 2-7 and our record has been around this for the last 5 years. Because our "rival" down the road--if that what we truly think of them--is seeing the light, our fanbase is going to have to see both Metroplex teams enjoy amounts of coverage that will dwarf anything we have ever seen. Which, of course, means we will either become an after-thought in the Metroplex or we are going to make a "splash" to stay competitve with the folks we recruit against. The snobs in University Park will still be able to spend more, but the HS recruit doesn't always fit in with that crowd, nor do they always qualify academically, which is precisely why I do believe that the large public school up the road will still do quite well in recruiting. And why I think a reputable coach will look to come here for around $400k-500K. He knows that what could be around the corner here will lead to $$$ for himself, whether from UNT or another school. To me, I want SMU to lose every week, but I think that their bar has been raised and if we are truly "peers" with them in football, which is what we are in regards to recruiting, this is going to have to force us to raise the bar, too. Its one thing for Troy to become a strong program, its completely different when its SMU.

5.)New Leadership--replacing the Old Nestors-- In the past, UNT's BOR and administration took the path of least resistance and were fine with it. They felt that a true liberal arts college that had a strong history in education was perfect for the sleepy town that didn't want to grow or attract crowds. No need to put money into something as "obscene" as football. But things change--growth occurs whether you want it or not. Now, with the leadership we have seen from Pohl and Bataille, over the last 10 years, they want this thing to work and they aren't gonna take chances on unknowns again, not with almost $80Million being spent to build a new stadium. That is the thing of legacy-type reputations--for good or bad. A beautiful new stadium with large crowds, winning football, and quality opponents will get a name or two on facilities, not to mention even more job opportunites. But a large new stadium that cost that much and isn't anywhere close to full because we cannot afford to have a competitive program is stuff that will follow an administrator anywhere else he or she may go, especially during these economic times we are in today, Imagine for a moment, tha you are in Gretchen Bataille's shoes. She just watched the student body decide that the school deserves a new stadium, to watch a team she obviously enjoys watching and knows full well from her prior stops that athletics is that window for all to see us from afar. She knows that the university's student body is only going to get bigger. Do you think if you were in her shoes that it make sense to move forward with all of this and watch it fail? After your student body just agreed to raise the fees for this for years to come while our world economy was at its worst in 70 years? She has too much vested in this project to watch the whole thing turn into the worst investment the university has ever made, which it would be if we don't upgrade the product. Drawing 11K to see the two worst teams in America play each other at Fouts is bad, but it somehow seems appropriate since it is a toilet. But drawing 11K to watch two teams that suck in a brand new stadium that cost so much and had so much controversy surrounding it would be the ultimate reputation crusher. She may have been fairly silent during the vote, but her preference on needing a new stadium has been known for years--and now she has it. Under her tenure as President at UNT, she will be forever known as the one in place when we got approval for a new stadium that will cost the student body alot of money. It is in her best interest to make the investment return plenty back to the university--and she knows it too.

So there it is--my longest post ever, but I felt it was needed atthis time. I don't blame anyone who got tired head after the first paragraph, but I think it all needs to be noted and reminded. The history of this place is terrible when it comes to decision-making and funding, without a doubt. And if I thought for a moment that we weren't going to do anything about it--stay in Fouts, keep Dodge with no strings attached, etc.--I would probably walk away, although it wiould hurt to do it. But I asked myself a few weeks ago, what is the university gonna do about this program and it made me realize that they are already doing it. From tailgating, to the new athletic facilites, to the new stadium on the way, and to the "unacceptance' of where we are as a program, it made me feel better about the future than I EVER HAVE BEFORE. Trust me, I know that my faith could get stomped in the mud here, but I don't believe it will this time. As a matter of fact, just like we did when Trilli got hired, then fired, and we replaced him with Johnny Jones, I think we will see a better coach and a winning program come sooner than we ever believed it could, at least from where we sit today. So there it is--Down the Corridor of Years, We'll Forget the Joys and Tears, For North Texas We Love!!

Just to remind everyone that when the year started many posts were saying "If we can stay close in some

games and show some improvement that they would be happy". We have many players who are Sophmores

and Freshman that are starting, and when you have that many you will have mistakes,etc. We have a Freshman

redshirt Quarterback who plays like it some games and plays like a Junior or Senior other games. If I am not

wrong we lost in double overtime by one point, then a game by two points and a game by four points which were close.

I feel like we still have a surprise victory in us maybe two. That would make us three or four wins, which I saw

many on here post they predicted. Let's wait till the season is over and see how the last three games come out.

Give the young players a chance and GO MEAN GREEN.

You have to admit it is good looking at the lines in the paper and not seeing North Texas a a double digit underdog.

I have only seen it two or three times this week, and it is only Two (2) this week, because it is a FIU, and they get

points for being at home.

We may have bad teams, but I will forever be green, because I know the day will come in the not to distant future

that I will be proud to have my NORTH TEXAS plates on my car, and my North Texas shirt that I wear will be noticed

by all in a good way.

BIG D

I think you sum things up quite eloquently. Next year is Dodge's make or break year. If he has a year similar to this one ( based on our performance on Saturday I don't see another win on our remaining '09 schedule) then he will have to go. I think that giving him 4 years for success is reasonable and would not hurt us with the Texas high school coaches. Riley is another matter. I see huge upside with Riley at times and I doubt seriously that he would stay if his dad were gone. I just don't think DeLoach has the horses to do what he wants to do. I still believe he is a good defensive coach when given the right amount of talent.

As disappointing as this season has been, the combined success of TCU and SMU is a blessing in my mind. We have got to get better or they are going to leave us behind. They have raised the bar. June Jones has proven that it can be done on the Hilltop and Gary Patterson is one of the best coaches in the nation, period. The good news is Coach Dodge's fate lies in his own hands, he can rise to the challenge or he will have to leave.

I hate that it has come to this because I think Coach Dodge is a great person and has been a good ambassador for North Texas. I will be pulling for him to get things turned around next season in a big way. Unfortunately as last Saturday reminded us, he has a long way to go.

Something broke his momentum, perhaps it was the crushing overtime loss in the rain against Ohio or the devastating last minute loss to Lafayette on the road. The fire and emotion just hasn't been there.

I apologize for the length of this, but I think we all have really gotten down--rightfully so--about where our program currently resides in the FBS division, but I feel like there are some positives that are ahead that I want to discuss. This is a list of things that I think will impact UNT football positively for the future ahead.

1. The new stadium will open up new funds and recruiting for this program at the perfect time. I truly beleive that our university decided that it wanted to be in the football business because if the vote didn't pass, I am 100% convinced we were either going back to 1-aa or giving up the program eventually if we were stuck at Fouts.

2. Dodge's situation-- The university made a mistake giving him a 5-year deal (should have been no more than 4) But, since we have this, next year will be his year to either stay here for a while or get fired. There is no way we can afford to fire him now, but there is no way he will be coaching in 2011 with only one year on his contract. RV knows recruiting will suffer mightily if he goes into a final year of a contract with no extension. So a FINAL bit of more patience will give us this certainty--Dodge is either our coach going into a new stadium with an extension or we will have a new one. The buyout is too steep now, but it won't be next year. The AD has been on record about next year needing 4-5 wins, but I now believe that the number of wins is a bare minimum of 7 with a bowl appearance, unless all slots are full. Otherwise, a coaching change will be done. I'm not completely ruling out this year, but I highly doubt it will happen in 2009 or early 2010.

3.Potential Replacement List--there are going to be a lot of folks out there that will entertain this opportunity more now that at any point in the last 30 years. We will have the the final piece of the facility-puzzle in play. The academics, the location, and the increased fan support are the biggest reasons to believe that a guy with a lot of name value will come knocking. Just a few of the names that I believe will be talked about will be Franchione, Kragthorpe, Bower, Dan McCarney, Chan Gailey, not to mention a few other well-known coordinators from big-time schools. Seriously, this should be a job search that will bring up names we never would have dreamed of in the past.

4. SMU---TCUs success over the last 10 years is miraculous--very similar to where K-State went in the 90s from their horrid decades before. The thing with TCUs success though was that it was in Ft. Worth. We all know that the major media outlets in this town revolve around Dallas. Denton is much more aligned with Dallas than FW, and the history between UNT and SMU is so much stronger, that the SMU program's losing ways didn't really affect us that much at all. The two conferences are pretty equal, with a few differences here and there, and the recruiting was about the same, too. Yeah, they could pay more for a coach, but the success never manifested itself for SMU, especially when Phil Bennett made twice as much as Dickey and had a worse record, so we all kind of laughed. But then SMU got real serious with the cash and bought June Jones for $2 Million. And in the first year, they were terrible. But the money paid is starting to pay off big time and SMU is about to go bowling--for the first time in 25 years. Meanwhile, we are floundering at 2-7 and our record has been around this for the last 5 years. Because our "rival" down the road--if that what we truly think of them--is seeing the light, our fanbase is going to have to see both Metroplex teams enjoy amounts of coverage that will dwarf anything we have ever seen. Which, of course, means we will either become an after-thought in the Metroplex or we are going to make a "splash" to stay competitve with the folks we recruit against. The snobs in University Park will still be able to spend more, but the HS recruit doesn't always fit in with that crowd, nor do they always qualify academically, which is precisely why I do believe that the large public school up the road will still do quite well in recruiting. And why I think a reputable coach will look to come here for around $400k-500K. He knows that what could be around the corner here will lead to $$$ for himself, whether from UNT or another school. To me, I want SMU to lose every week, but I think that their bar has been raised and if we are truly "peers" with them in football, which is what we are in regards to recruiting, this is going to have to force us to raise the bar, too. Its one thing for Troy to become a strong program, its completely different when its SMU.

5.)New Leadership--replacing the Old Nestors-- In the past, UNT's BOR and administration took the path of least resistance and were fine with it. They felt that a true liberal arts college that had a strong history in education was perfect for the sleepy town that didn't want to grow or attract crowds. No need to put money into something as "obscene" as football. But things change--growth occurs whether you want it or not. Now, with the leadership we have seen from Pohl and Bataille, over the last 10 years, they want this thing to work and they aren't gonna take chances on unknowns again, not with almost $80Million being spent to build a new stadium. That is the thing of legacy-type reputations--for good or bad. A beautiful new stadium with large crowds, winning football, and quality opponents will get a name or two on facilities, not to mention even more job opportunites. But a large new stadium that cost that much and isn't anywhere close to full because we cannot afford to have a competitive program is stuff that will follow an administrator anywhere else he or she may go, especially during these economic times we are in today, Imagine for a moment, tha you are in Gretchen Bataille's shoes. She just watched the student body decide that the school deserves a new stadium, to watch a team she obviously enjoys watching and knows full well from her prior stops that athletics is that window for all to see us from afar. She knows that the university's student body is only going to get bigger. Do you think if you were in her shoes that it make sense to move forward with all of this and watch it fail? After your student body just agreed to raise the fees for this for years to come while our world economy was at its worst in 70 years? She has too much vested in this project to watch the whole thing turn into the worst investment the university has ever made, which it would be if we don't upgrade the product. Drawing 11K to see the two worst teams in America play each other at Fouts is bad, but it somehow seems appropriate since it is a toilet. But drawing 11K to watch two teams that suck in a brand new stadium that cost so much and had so much controversy surrounding it would be the ultimate reputation crusher. She may have been fairly silent during the vote, but her preference on needing a new stadium has been known for years--and now she has it. Under her tenure as President at UNT, she will be forever known as the one in place when we got approval for a new stadium that will cost the student body alot of money. It is in her best interest to make the investment return plenty back to the university--and she knows it too.

So there it is--my longest post ever, but I felt it was needed atthis time. I don't blame anyone who got tired head after the first paragraph, but I think it all needs to be noted and reminded. The history of this place is terrible when it comes to decision-making and funding, without a doubt. And if I thought for a moment that we weren't going to do anything about it--stay in Fouts, keep Dodge with no strings attached, etc.--I would probably walk away, although it wiould hurt to do it. But I asked myself a few weeks ago, what is the university gonna do about this program and it made me realize that they are already doing it. From tailgating, to the new athletic facilites, to the new stadium on the way, and to the "unacceptance' of where we are as a program, it made me feel better about the future than I EVER HAVE BEFORE. Trust me, I know that my faith could get stomped in the mud here, but I don't believe it will this time. As a matter of fact, just like we did when Trilli got hired, then fired, and we replaced him with Johnny Jones, I think we will see a better coach and a winning program come sooner than we ever believed it could, at least from where we sit today. So there it is--Down the Corridor of Years, We'll Forget the Joys and Tears, For North Texas We Love!!

I wouldn't be so sure TD has a job next year....probably does, but there is some money in the background (how do you think we are putting up $40 million in cash on this stadium) and I don't know if they are going to want TD around for another year if we only win 2-3 games....who knows, but if you want to lease suites, sale naming rights, keep donars, etc you need to have a coach who can win games...I'm afraid TD is not that guy...what the hell, schedule one more bodybag game and give him the boot. But, maybe RV thinks TD can still turn it around...if he gets another year and goes 3-4 wins RV will be looking VERY BAD.

I wouldn't be so sure TD has a job next year....probably does, but there is some money in the background (how do you think we are putting up $40 million in cash on this stadium) and I don't know if they are going to want TD around for another year if we only win 2-3 games....who knows, but if you want to lease suites, sale naming rights, keep donars, etc you need to have a coach who can win games...I'm afraid TD is not that guy...what the hell, schedule one more bodybag game and give him the boot. But, maybe RV thinks TD can still turn it around...if he gets another year and goes 3-4 wins RV will be looking VERY BAD.

Who says we have $40 million? I want to know what you are hearing in Houston that I am not hearing in Denton.

The AD has been on record about next year needing 4-5 wins, but I now believe that the number of wins is a bare minimum of 7 with a bowl appearance, unless all slots are full. Otherwise, a coaching change will be done. I'm not completely ruling out this year, but I highly doubt it will happen in 2009 or early 2010.

I agree with most everything and I am usually very optimistic about the program. However the 2 points above are part of the reason I feel we make the change now.

I see nothing in this team that makes me think we can win 7 games next year. If TD feels the pressure to win, do I need another year of reaching for JC recruits in an effort to win now to save his job. At the expense of the future. I loved the TD hire and still think highly of him. Part of me thinks he has this learning curve and will figure it out. The other part of me is disturbed that we have to put up with it and that it still is not figured out.

Also if someone like Kragthorpe or the like is available and willing, then lets do it. Although I am still partial to Carthel for some reason as well.

Just to remind everyone that when the year started many posts were saying "If we can stay close in some

games and show some improvement that they would be happy". We have many players who are Sophmores

and Freshman that are starting, and when you have that many you will have mistakes,etc. We have a Freshman

redshirt Quarterback who plays like it some games and plays like a Junior or Senior other games. If I am not

wrong we lost in double overtime by one point, then a game by two points and a game by four points which were close.

I feel like we still have a surprise victory in us maybe two. That would make us three or four wins, which I saw

many on here post they predicted. Let's wait till the season is over and see how the last three games come out.

You have to admit it is good looking at the lines in the paper and not seeing North Texas a a double digit underdog.

I have only seen it two or three times this week, and it is only Two (2) this week, because it is a FIU, and they get

We may have bad teams, but I will forever be green, because I know the day will come in the not to distant future

that I will be proud to have my NORTH TEXAS plates on my car, and my North Texas shirt that I wear will be noticed

by all in a good way.

BIG D

THe problem is they are not getting better, but getting worse. I would feel a lot better if we started the season playing as we did against ULM and were now playing as we did against Ohio. Unfortunately, that's not the case. Young, talented teams get better with experience, this one has gotten worse.

Doesn't it bother you to lose by 27 points when we are favored to win the game? To me, that makes it even worse. What does the line matter when you are getting blown out? What if we lose 35-3 this week? Will you feel better because we were only a 2 point dog?

I know we are all looking for something positive for the remaining portion of the year, but, to me, being favored and then having your rear end handed to you, at home, is NOT positive.

I, too, remain proud of UNT and see better days ahead, just not as close as I thought they would be after the 1st 2 games of the year.

I agree with most everything and I am usually very optimistic about the program. However the 2 points above are part of the reason I feel we make the change now.

I see nothing in this team that makes me think we can win 7 games next year. If TD feels the pressure to win, do I need another year of reaching for JC recruits in an effort to win now to save his job. At the expense of the future. I loved the TD hire and still think highly of him. Part of me thinks he has this learning curve and will figure it out. The other part of me is disturbed that we have to put up with it and that it still is not figured out.

Also if someone like Kragthorpe or the like is available and willing, then lets do it. Although I am still partial to Carthel for some reason as well.

It could be because even though his team was 1-5 in the beginning of the year, they have gone on a five game winning streak and have been invited to a D-2 bowl.

http://www.gobuffsgo.com/sports/m-footbl/s.../110909aaa.html

previous post by Green Nightmare.

http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/lofivers...php/t31085.html

Article in Amarillo paper

http://www.amarillo.com/stories/082408/wts_wtsports1.shtml

Why can't we afford to fire him? It would be about the same payout that we gave Dickey. $500,000-$600,000 (and that's if we had to pay the full amount).

And if you tell me that we're spending all available money on the stadium...I ask "How much money do you think is coming in to the stadium fund right now? Buy a game program some time. There are maybe 70 names in there of folks who have donated to the stadium.

Do you really think lots of people are chomping at the bit to write big checks for this football program right now? Guess again. I was in the AD's box for the last game. Everyone in there (other than Don January).....were fans/friends that I have seen at games for years. And all those folks I saw....have already given to the stadium fund. Sorry, but if there were any big potential donors at the last game....they weren't in the AD's box. Maybe they were with Gretchen.

Hell, it's hard for us long time fans to go to these games NOW. Do you really John Q. BigBucks is just waiting by the phone, for an invite to see the pile of crap that Todd Dodge is producing on a weekly basis?

So if our #1 thing right now is to raise money for the new stadium .......I ask not "can we afford to fire him?" I ask, "can we afford to keep him?"

Edited by SUMG

by all in a good way.

BIG D

SMU is somehow finding a way to do it with two freshman quarterbacks and the youngest offensive line in CUSA.

Why can't we afford to fire him? It would be about the same payout that we gave Dickey. $500,000-$600,000 (and that's if we had to pay the full amount).

And if you tell me that we're spending all available money on the stadium...I ask "How much money do you think is coming in to the stadium fund right now? Buy a game program some time. There are maybe 70 names in there of folks who have donated to the stadium.

Do you really lots of people are chomping at the bit to write big checks for this football program right now? Guess again. I was in the AD's box for the last game. Everyone in there (other than Don January).....were fans/friends that I have seen at games for years. And all those folks I saw....have already given to the stadium fund. Sorry, but if there were any big potential donors at the last game....they weren't in the AD's box. Maybe they were with Gretchen.

Hell, it's hard for us long time fans to go to these games NOW. Do you really John Q. BigBucks is just waiting by the phone, for an invite to see the pile of crap that Todd Dodge is producing on a weekly basis?

So if our #1 thing right now is to raise money for the new stadium .......I ask not "can we afford to fire him?" I ask, "can we afford to keep him?"

SUMG,

I agree to a point, with the question of whether being able to afford to keep Dodge. I will say this up front, just as so many of you have--I think that Todd Dodge is a great guy and a fabulous high school coach. It just hasn't worked up here. Trust me, I would love for our university to basically cut ties today because we can afford to pay him off and go and get a "name" coach that can compete with Patterson and Jones here in the Metroplex for recruiting. I know that the program lists lots of donors, but I guess my question goes back to the buyout. Because of the amount of Dickey's buyout, the amount we could afford to pay a new coach was still minimal, actually below what Dickey made in his last few years. My fear is that we would limit ourselves to only go out and get a "cheap" coach again. Of course, many times, the cheap option turns into gold--maybe a i-aa coach with success makes it happen here or a an OC from a mid-major that is bright and makes a great run in his first head coaching job, but we have seen us do similar things in hiring since 1991 and it really hasn't worked. I guess my main point is that if it means putting up with one last year of Todd Dodge to prove he can do this or else we can go get a Kragthorpe-type, for example, then I will accept it. But what is UNACCEPTABLE to me is either hiring a cheap coach again because we fired him too soon or keeping Dodge here for the fifth year with anything less than a 7 win, bowl-attending season next year. Just my opinion, though.

The AD has been on record about next year needing 4-5 wins, but I now believe that the number of wins is a bare minimum of 7 with a bowl appearance, unless all slots are full. Otherwise, a coaching change will be done. I'm not completely ruling out this year, but I highly doubt it will happen in 2009 or early 2010.

Good post and some valid points. However, I think 4, or 5 wins w/ staying close in all games (except body bag game) will save his job. This defense is not going to improve to the point where the admin or anybody can demand a 7 win season w bowl appearance. Now if we had won 6 this year, then you would be right. And SUMG, I sat over by the President's box. Same people up there to. Without question, the same people get the invites up in the suites. There are no "behind the scenes" donors w/ cash demanding a change or else. Even with RV doing a "Jerry Jones" on the sideline.