Champagne Taste Vs. Beer Pocketbook

Cr1028

June Jones vs. Todd Dodge

SMU vs. UNT

You get what you pay for. End of story. Until we get a Boone Pickens we are who we are.

Dennis Green would say "they are who we thought they were" and I wouldn't disagree. Money makes the world go 'round and unfortunately UNT has a serious lack of it. D1 money that is. We need microsoft money, or Jerry Jone money or heck I'd even take iPhone money at this point.

I don't think the school is paying for someone to piss in our mouths every week, either.

Beer pocketbook is fine, but at least give us beer for the money.

My mom always said; "its better to be pissed off then pissed on."

June Jones vs. Todd Dodge

SMU vs. UNT

You get what you pay for. End of story. Until we get a Boone Pickens we are who we are.

Dennis Green would say "they are who we thought they were" and I wouldn't disagree. Money makes the world go 'round and unfortunately UNT has a serious lack of it. D1 money that is. We need microsoft money, or Jerry Jone money or heck I'd even take iPhone money at this point.

But we are in the "Sun Beer Conference" Every team is a Todd Dodge. So I guess since we are in last, does that mean Troy is a Bud brand and UNT is Keystone...??

SMU does not get any better recruits than UNT and Boone Pickens never made anyone catch a bowl or run faster. So if UNT wants to be Champagne then we need to invest in someone who can scout TALENT... Why we suck, cause UNT does not promote football, it promotes where we want to be.. I want to be a team that wins, today! Not a team that wins cause I have a nice new seat for my butt to sit in.

Last time I checked players win games not fans who write checks.

Edited by GreenStreet

You guys are forgetting that our budget is going to get a huge boost in about 22 months.

Dodge's current total compensation is $275,000 a year. Let's say we double that. Here is who we get based on current salaries:

Troy Calhoun Air Force $600,000

Al Golden Temple $575,000

Mark Snyder Marshall $500,000

Mike Price UTEP $475,000

OK, let's say we triple it:

Tommy West Memphis $950,000

Chris Peterson Boise State $900,000

Bill Stewart West Virginia $800,000

Larry Fedora Southern Miss $800,000

Steve Fairchild Colorado State $800,000

Brady Hoke San Diego State $800,000

Are these unreasonable figures for UNT to reach under the new budget? Not at all.

Based on previous years budget records, UNT books about 1.4 million credit hours a year. That will mean an athletic budget increase of $10 million in the first year alone. And that fee can increase by a BOR vote.

So yes, we can afford champagne. It will just be Bruno Paillard, not Cristal.

You guys are forgetting that our budget is going to get a huge boost in about 22 months.

Dodge's current total compensation is $275,000 a year. Let's say we double that. Here is who we get based on current salaries:

Mike Price UTEP $475,000

Are these unreasonable figures for UNT to reach under the new budget? Not at all.

Based on previous years budget records, UNT books about 1.4 million credit hours a year. That will mean an athletic budget increase of $10 million in the first year alone. And that fee can increase by a BOR vote.

Right now, I'd take Al Golden, but the way he has Temple playing in his 3rd(?) year, I think he'll want more than $575k 2 years from now. If we're going to wait that long, maybe the guy at Stephen F. Austin will look like our man, they're at 7-2, in a 4 way tie in the Southland Conference. They nearly upset SMU to start the season.

J.C. Harper, head coach at SFA

Edited by eulessismore

What was Gary Patterson's starting salary as head coach at TCU.

I don't know that, but just guessing, less than by hiring from outside. I like the idea of letting an assistant finish out the season when a head coach leaves (such as Franccione (sp?) did at TCU, although Patterson only coached the bowl game. Turned out to be much better than TCU has ever done before. They had some horrible hires (a couple in a row) in recent times, but they struck gold with Patterson.

Right now, I'd take Al Golden, but the way he has Temple playing in his 3rd(?) year, I think he'll want more than $575k 2 years from now. If we're going to wait that long, maybe the guy at Stephen F. Austin will look like our man, they're at 7-2, in a 4 way tie in the Southland Conference. They nearly upset SMU to start the season.

J.C. Harper, head coach at SFA

Someone suggested (and I agreed) that we look at this guy back when Coach Dodge was hired.

http://www.gobuffsgo.com/sports/m-footbl/m...thel_don00.html

t.d. will get next year for 2 reasons. 1st, regardless of won/loss record we are reluctant to pull trigger on him because most coaches deserve 4 recruiting seasons, hence a 5 year contract. 2nd, all our financial resourses have been and still are directed towards our new stadium. we just don't have the money to buy him out. just grin and bare it for 1 more season and let chips fall where they may.

Excellent, I'm glad you brought this up because I was a little sketchy on if the actual operating budget for the football program (not including paying off the stadium) would increase. To me that is just about as important as the new stadium. In some ways, more important.

I like to drink champagne from a Diet Coke can. No one can tell!!

My wife took wine from a can on a hiking trip this weekend in homage.

Crap, I talked. Ignore me, Bob! I'm a ghost as long as you keep talking.

Mike Price UTEP $475,000

Check out Marshall's board and you'll see they're just as ready to fire their coach...And they've gotten progressively worse since Bob Pruitt left....

There are always exceptions to every rule, but big donors and financial support, go hand in hand with winning...Numbers don't lie, and save the Boise's of the world, money equals success...

t.d. will get next year for 2 reasons. 1st, regardless of won/loss record we are reluctant to pull trigger on him because most coaches deserve 4 recruiting seasons, hence a 5 year contract. 2nd, all our financial resourses have been and still are directed towards our new stadium. we just don't have the money to buy him out. just grin and bare it for 1 more season and let chips fall where they may.

I am pretty sure portions of TD's contract has been posted on here, specifically the part about being re-assigned. RV can make him the new Diet Coke/laundry boy and TD can stay or chose to leave. If he chooses to leave (which I'm sure he would) we would owe him nada.

I am pretty sure portions of TD's contract has been posted on here, specifically the part about being re-assigned. RV can make him the new Diet Coke/laundry boy and TD can stay or chose to leave. If he chooses to leave (which I'm sure he would) we would owe him nada.

Let me ask you a question. If at your current job, you made $250K or more and your boss came in and said either you stay here and do nothing and get $250K for the next two years or you can leave your job and go and get a job at your previous level, which pays about $125K, what would you do, knowing full well that the $125K job (at most) will be plentiful whenever you want to go look?

He ain't leaving with us paying nothing. There will be a buyout of some level--its just a matter of how much and for how many years. Next year will be his last year on this current contract, no matter what. He will either get an extension if we are winning or he will be bought out for his last year of salary, which would allow us to pay a new coach more than what we could afford to pay Dodge while Dickey was still collecting a check from us.