Question For Todd Dodge?

meangreenbob

He has a radio show each Monday after a game...why not ask him in person? You know, the guy isn't hard to find and I have found him very approachable and open to questions. Why not try it in person sometime?

Mr. Dodge, how much more time do you feel you need in order to turn The University of North Texas Football program around? You have had 2 and 1/2 years. Do you feel like you need some more time? If so how much? You see sir, I ain't getting any YOUNGER!!!

I, for one, think it's a fair question and appropriate for our forum. It forms the basis for debate. Would he really even have an answer? I bet he thinks he would have already turned it around by now. Who thinks 2.5 years is enough? Maybe you think he IS turning it around. Here are my thoughts...

2.5 years is plenty of time to show progress. By progress, I mean wins, not just reducing how bad we get beat. I don't think he and his staff have what it takes for FBS-level football and I don't think OJT is what we need. If we go into next season status quo (retaining Dodge), support for the program will suffer dramatically. When I saw RV on the sideline Saturday, I was hoping we was there to fire Dodge on the spot as soon as the clock hit 00:00. 20K at the Army game? We'll be lucky to get 15K.

I, for one, think it's a fair question and appropriate for our forum. It forms the basis for debate. Would he really even have an answer? I bet he thinks he would have already turned it around by now. Who thinks 2.5 years is enough? Maybe you think he IS turning it around. Here are my thoughts...

2.5 years is plenty of time to show progress. By progress, I mean wins, not just reducing how bad we get beat. I don't think he and his staff have what it takes for FBS-level football and I don't think OJT is what we need. If we go into next season status quo (retaining Dodge), support for the program will suffer dramatically. When I saw RV on the sideline Saturday, I was hoping we was there to fire Dodge on the spot as soon as the clock hit 00:00. 20K at the Army game? We'll be lucky to get 15K.

Someone with a brain. How refreshing! Thank you.

Next year will be his fourth year in Denton. At that point every member of the team will have been recruited by him. There should be no questions about having to fit in players that he did not recruit to his system. If we do not have a winning season next year he should be gone.

You wouldn't know if he had an answer unless you ask him. Why not 'man up', not hide behind a computer and just contact him direct. He doesn't seem to be hard to find or approach.

Hey, with all due respect. It was a rhetorical question. OK?

So you expected no responses?? That is the point of a rhetorical question, no?

On a message board??

Not buying it.

Go to the radio show and ask it respectfully. I'm sure I could probably give you his answer. Here goes: "We are all disappointed in the lack of improvement in the win column, coaches and players alike. Everyone associated with this program is dedicated to turning this thing around. Am I happy that it is taking this long? Of course not. Am I doing everything I can to effect a positive change? You better believe it. I'll continue to do everything in my power until we all see the results that so many of us expect and so many of you deserve."

Good enough?

So you expected no responses?? That is the point of a rhetorical question, no?

On a message board??

Not buying it.

Go to the radio show and ask it respectfully. I'm sure I could probably give you his answer. Here goes: "We are all disappointed in the lack of improvement in the win column, coaches and players alike. Everyone associated with this program is dedicated to turning this thing around. Am I happy that it is taking this long? Of course not. Am I doing everything I can to effect a positive change? You better believe it. I'll continue to do everything in my power until we all see the results that so many of us expect and so many of you deserve."

Good enough?

Wow!!! You define what a rhetorical question is and then totally ignore it's meaning? If you read my post you would understand that I am implying that 2 and 1/2 years is plenty of time! It was a rhetorical question. I DON'T need an answer. What is it that you don't understand? The fact that the rhetorical question was posted on a message board is irrelevant.

And then you have to audacity to answer it anyway for Dodge? Go figure.

Wow!!! You define what a rhetorical question is and then totally ignore it's meaning? If you read my post you would understand that I am implying that 2 and 1/2 years is plenty of time! It was a rhetorical question. I DON'T need an answer. What is it that you don't understand? The fact that the rhetorical question was posted on a message board is irrelevant.

The audacity!

More MGB! More eulesseagle this week!

I meant to post this a while ago, but I got busy with work and forgot about it. It seems somewhat germane to this discussion.

I did some research about the team's margin of victory/defeat. Here's my formula -

Take points scored per game of TD era.

Take points given up per game of TD era.

Subtract PPG from points given up per game.

Chart those numbers (Differential or Average Margin of Victory/Defeat)

Using the last four games of the 2006 season as a lead-in, establish a six game rolling average to reduce seasonal variation.

Chart those numbers.

Assume the current rate of growth will hold constant ad infinitum.

Project when differential > 0 using linear regression.

Using this formula, the data suggests that 1) the team is, in fact, actually improving, and 2) the average margin of victory/defeat will finally cross 0 sometime in the middle of the 2015 season. Historically, teams around 0 had a .500 record.

I meant to post this a while ago, but I got busy with work and forgot about it. It seems somewhat germane to this discussion.

I did some research about the team's margin of victory/defeat. Here's my formula -

Take points scored per game of TD era.

Take points given up per game of TD era.

Subtract PPG from points given up per game.

Chart those numbers (Differential or Average Margin of Victory/Defeat)

Using the last four games of the 2006 season as a lead-in, establish a six game rolling average to reduce seasonal variation.

Chart those numbers.

Assume the current rate of growth will hold constant ad infinitum.

Project when differential > 0 using linear regression.

Using this formula, the data suggests that 1) the team is, in fact, actually improving, and 2) the average margin of victory/defeat will finally cross 0 sometime in the middle of the 2015 season. Historically, teams around 0 had a .500 record.

Good things are happening for statistical modeling!

These dang old intrawebs are making things so confusing these days. Whatever happened to the good old days when you could ask a rhetorical question in the mirror, or while walking alone in the park? Back then, only the ducks would be dumb enough to try and answer you. Now, it's just so confusing.

Oh Brave New World, that has such things in it.

I'm with you brah. But I'm also happy that the "Why don't you just go ask Name Here yourself?" cat has been let outta the bag. People need ta be ripped.

Edited by Green P1

1) Are we sure that we are improving, not that the other teams are not as good as previously?

2) Sounds like a plan. I am excited about the idea of wallowing in losing territory for another 5 years so we can reach .500. Assuming that your statistical modeling is correct.

1) Are we sure that we are improving, not that the other teams are not as good as previously?

Could be a lot of things. For whatever reason (doing better, everyone else sucking, Fout's psychological toll on players, Rick V's sweaters, the price of legos on the North Korean black market), the team is trending positive.

2) Sounds like a plan. I am excited about the idea of wallowing in losing territory for another 5 years so we can reach .500. Assuming that your statistical modeling is correct.

Me too. There's nothing I love better than watching laboriously slow improvement. And I wouldn't assume my model is correct or even oriented in that general direction. In fact, even referring to it as a "statistical model" gives it a laughably undeserved credibility. I think I woke up in my college stats class once and heard the word "linear regression," which I promptly turned into a bar napkin "model" five years later to describe the objective improvement of a football team. :ph34r: