We Suck...

Daddy Dumpsalot

I'm not arguing with DL1 or anyone about how an afternoon game might make people less likely to turn out. But... We usually have 12-15 regulars at our tailgate, and another half dozen folks who usually stop by for a little while when they arrive just in time for the game.

Yesterday, 5 people from our usual group made it out to Fouts.

The reason wasn't kickoff time; if we'd started at 7:00, it would have been the same 5 people. Everybody had a legitimate reason for not coming (funeral, work responsibilities, out-of-town trip, feeling unwell, family issues)... But many of them were the sort of things people would have gone out of their way to work around or get out of back when there was more enthusiasm and optimism about the football program.

The reason I'm so curious to see the Army attendance is to get a benchmark we can compare to Navy two years ago. Back then, my brother and I had to rush like hell to make it to that 3:00 game. We were at an awards ceremony in Mesquite to celebrate a big day for our father. We drove insanely fast all the way from Mesquite through Flower Mound/Highland Village (to take the back route to Denton... I-35 was packed). We had to listen to the first two NT touchdowns (and that exciting onside kick) over the radio. We parked as fast as we could, ran up to the gate, and I bought a t-shirt at the merchandise stand because I had forgotten to bring one, and I didn't want to be in the stands in a black collared shirt. I don't remember whether that game was televised or not. It didn't matter; we were going to be there. We watched the whole game, t-shirts, dress slacks, and wingtips.

Contrast that with this year, when I'm not even going to the Army game.

I'm taking my North Texas love on the road to Stillwater to watch the mens basketball team play Oklahoma State.

I'm not abandoning support of the team... If these games weren't on the same day, I'd still come out and watch football. But given the choice between a local football game against a winnable, respectable, nationally recognized opponent, coupled with tailgating and groundbreaking ceremonies... And an 8 hour round trip drive to see a basketball game in Oklahoma... I'm picking the basketball game. Not to be too clever, but at this point, the decision is a slam dunk. And I'm not the only one making that choice, either.

I'll be listening to FIU and Arkansas State on the radio. I'll be there at the spring game, even though spring games generally make me sleepy. I'll be there next year for every home game (unless there's another conflict like this Army/OSU situation). And I'll be in West Point with my father and brother, and in Clemson and/or another Sun Belt town with my brother. But this year, I've seen my last snap of North Texas football. And even though I'm skipping our best home game, I don't feel like I'm going to be missing out on anything.

I'm excited about the basketball game, and I'm not disappointed to be missing the football game. That can't be a good sign for general fan interest.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not arguing with DL1 or anyone about how an afternoon game might make people less likely to turn out. But... We usually have 12-15 regulars at our tailgate, and another half dozen folks who usually stop by for a little while when they arrive just in time for the game.

The reason wasn't kickoff time; if we'd started at 7:00, it would have been the same 5 people. Everybody had a legitimate reason for not coming (funeral, work responsibilities, out-of-town trip, feeling unwell, family issues)... But many of them were the sort of things people would have gone out of their way to work around or get out of back when there was more enthusiasm and optimism about the football program.

The reason I'm so curious to see the Army attendance is to get a benchmark we can compare to Navy two years ago. Back then, my brother and I had to rush like hell to make it to that 3:00 game. We were at an awards ceremony in Mesquite to celebrate a big day for our father. We drove insanely fast all the way from Mesquite through Flower Mound/Highland Village (to take the back route to Denton... I-35 was packed). We had to listen to the first two NT touchdowns (and that exciting onside kick) over the radio. We parked as fast as we could, ran up to the gate, and I bought a t-shirt at the merchandise stand because I had forgotten to bring one, and I didn't want to be in the stands in a black collared shirt. I don't remember whether that game was televised or not. It didn't matter; we were going to be there. We watched the whole game, t-shirts, dress slacks, and wingtips.

I'm taking my North Texas love on the road to Stillwater to watch the mens basketball team play Oklahoma State.

I'm not abandoning support of the team... If these games weren't on the same day, I'd still come out and watch football. But given the choice between a local football game against a winnable, respectable, nationally recognized opponent, coupled with tailgating and groundbreaking ceremonies... And an 8 hour round trip drive to see a basketball game in Oklahoma... I'm picking the basketball game. Not to be too clever, but at this point, the decision is a slam dunk. And I'm not the only one making that choice, either.

I'll be listening to FIU and Arkansas State on the radio. I'll be there at the spring game, even though spring games generally make me sleepy. I'll be there next year for every home game (unless there's another conflict like this Army/OSU situation). And I'll be in West Point with my father and brother, and in Clemson and/or another Sun Belt town with my brother. But this year, I've seen my last snap of North Texas football. And even though I'm skipping our best home game, I don't feel like I'm going to be missing out on anything.

I'm excited about the basketball game, and I'm not disappointed to be missing the football game. That can't be a good sign for general fan interest.

Bummer. It makes me feel the same way as I think our football program should; I should try harder.

Bummer. It makes me feel the same way as I think our football program should; I should try harder.

Maybe if you were a juggler or did face painting, that would be enough to push football back over the top. :)

I'm certainly going to miss the company, I just won't miss the game experience.

About the only real bright spot in this game was Darius Carey.

Our band was better than their band. Our dancers were pretty good too. Football wise...ouch. Just ouch. We suck with no indication of change on the horizon. The defense is deplorable. Really, they looked extremely unprepared and undercoached. Our offense looked like a junior college which is more than we can say for our defense. Just ouch. Damn. Probably not gonna happen in the next couple of years as far as I can tell.

Couldn't have phrased it any better. If it wasn't for our family deal in Odessa on gameday, we would be headed up to Stillwater ourselves.

Tasty I will be in town for the Army game and I really don't think I am going to bother to go. Unless I see some serious signs of life next week, I am just going to stay home.

Wow... That's a surprise.

I'm sure you've probably got a lot of other ways to spend your limited Metroplex time... But if you were already planning on spending an entire day at Fouts, and you're interested in taking in the basketball game... You're welcome to ride out with us.

I'll email you or give you a call in a day or two and we can talk it over.

It is the damn helmet sticker. We have been crappy ever since we started with the "north texas" in block lettering. it is time for a change.

King is right that Dodge is just too damn good too let go. the only problem is the sticker. it doesn't lead us to victory and is the source of all our hurt.

--You you wear High School uniforms you play like a High School --- (see Southlake)

It was definitely a tough day to sit in the stands and watch what was happening on the field. That's not being negative, it's just telling it like it was. Not too many bright spots on the field...except the band...they did a GREAT job...for either side of the ball. I do not understand why the defense has taken such a step backwards after playing some great ball earlier in the season. The offense just never got anything going, and special teams were not very special either.

On a brighter note...thanks to all who stopped by the Alumni Tailgate tent and picked up a TANK ARMY T-Shirt or two...or three...even had a purchase of 5 at one time...and to all who bought a shirt from our "walking rovers" in the tailgate area. We will still be selling before the Army game and still have shirts available. We need your help to put some $$$$ in the scholarship fund to distribute this year to worthy UNT students.

See you at Fouts for the Army game in two weeks.

GO MEAN GREEN!