We Suck...

Daddy Dumpsalot

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just 2 more years.

Man, I've tried to believe, support, be optimistic, etc., but I'm about at the end of my rope with this thing.

Tonight just really pissed me off because I've watched and played enough football to see when a team has checked-out - and this one has basically checked-out. And that is what frustrates and worries me about the future with the current regime.

I love North Texas and the Mean Green and will always support - but I'm really starting to go sour on the current direction...

This is true, something ADLER and I talked about before kickoff today.

But I'm going to be very interested to see the attendance for Army. Two years ago, we played a service academy in mid-November with a 3:00 p.m. kickoff, and we went into the game with a 1-7 record. We drew more than 26,000 people.

This year, we'll play a service academy in mid-November with a 3:00 p.m. kickoff, and our worst-case record going into the game will be 2-8. If there's a significant difference between the two attendances, I think that's a very, very bad sign.

There will not be 26K at the Army game. 20K is more like it!

Man, I've tried to believe, support, be optimistic, etc., but I'm about at the end of my rope with this thing.

Tonight just really pissed me off because I've watched and played enough football to see when a team has checked-out - and this one has basically checked-out. And that is what frustrates and worries me about the future with the current regime.

I love North Texas and the Mean Green and will always support - but I'm really starting to go sour on the current direction...

Welcome to the club!!!!

I did notice RV on the sidelines watching part of the game during the 2nd half. He did not look happy as he left.

It could be nerves? The horrible feeling of building a new stadium and actually falsifying the statement... "If you build it they will come"

Kevin Costner 1

field-of-dreams-dvdcover.jpg

UNT 0

Lots of students work for one, and it is hard get off for a game at 3:00. Plus tailgating is a big part of our attendance and getting to a game and having any tailgate time before the game even for those that don't work is hard for a 3:00 pm game. But most importantly I have seen it first hand and know unless we are playing a team with a name our attendance will be poor. Earth to RV don't schedule games until 5 or 6:00 pm. This is just the case at North Texas and I don't see it changing anytime soon. I don't even think winning will do much for 3:00 pm games. Because during our bowl years we had the same results for 3:00pm games.

majority of college games in mid november are scheduled as day games. the attendance problem is more about 2-7 and playing ulm.

Well, I can't really comment on much of the game. I was too disinterested and was carrying on a conversation about good movies with the guy next to me. :sleeping: About the attendance, We have just about always had bad attendance for day games. I think just about everyone likes evening games. Nothing beats, tailgating, watching day games, and partying, then going in to watch NT play. The other problem is I fear we are going back to the days where students went home on Fridays. Every Friday about 2-3PM, there was a line of cars leaving the dorm parking lots so they could go home and go watch their old high school play, and none of them get back before 8PM on Sunday.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Well, I can't really comment on much of the game. I was too disinterested and was carrying on a conversation about good movies with the guy next to me. :sleeping: About the attendance, We have just about always had bad attendance for day games. I think just about everyone likes evening games. Nothing beats, tailgating, watching day games, and partying, then going in to watch NT play. The other problem is I fear we are going back to the days where students went home on Fridays. Every Friday about 2-3PM, there was a line of cars leaving the dorm parking lots so they could go home and go watch their old high school play, and none of them get back before 8PM on Sunday.

If that's the case then we need to either play on Thursday nights, drop football altogether, or have a team that is so good that students will want to stay.

I think that we can safely say that weeknights are out and, with a new stadium coming, dropping football (or even dropping in classification) is not practical either. That leaves having a good team, playing a known opponent as the solution for good crowds. Either will get you good crowds; both will get you outstanding attendance (20,000+).

We played day games for years and had good interest and attendance for our level. Last night would have been fine but many nights in November are bone-chilling. Night games after Halloween are crap shoots. Furthermore, many of our alumni would not get home until around midnight or later after attending a game in Denton.

I agree with LoveMG on this one. The record and the opponent were the crowd killer.

It is the damn helmet sticker. We have been crappy ever since we started with the "north texas" in block lettering. it is time for a change.

Brilliant suggestion. If changing our uniforms doesn't make us a better team, we should change our fight song. And as a last result, we should give Scrappy a name that's not so warlike.

Bad team is another good part.

You could be right about the afternoon game with regards to alumni but why are there no students? Take away our band and we were probably outnumbered by the visitiors.

I'm afraid that we'll have to get used to afternoon games in November unless we're picked as a weekly game, Also until we get better lighting, I like the day games as far as being able to see. Of course, today I saw more than I wanted to see.

Lastly, if Dodge can't win at least one of the last three games then he doesn't deserve to come back next year. At least they were consistent this game...the offense, defense, special teams and coaching all stank. OK, the special teams weren't terrible; just bad.

Totally agree with your assessment (professionally presented as always), but I must say that the special teams did give me one moment of inspiration. The last time we kicked off, ULM's return man was on his way to a TD when Jeremy Knott came over and got just enough of an angle to grab the runners jersey. JEREMY NEVER LET GO OF HIS JERSEY AND THE RUNNER FINALLY WENT DOWN!

If I were the defensive co-ordinator, THAT would be the level of intensity that I would expect from my players. I would make a clip of that play and show it to them every day before and after practice. I would also show them a clip of the ULM defender (#34) who (early in the game) met Lance Dunbar at the line of scrimmage, made a momentum stopping hit, and simultaniously wrapped both arms around him and brought him down RIGHT ON THE SPOT!

I am sick to death of shoddy defensive play. And the Irony of that statement is that ( originally) MEAN GREEN was coined to describe our very MEAN and TENACIOUS defense.

Edited by SilverEagle

In the 11 years since I moved to Florida, I've heard a lot of talk about college football. This is a college football crazy state, going all the way from Florida on down to UCF.

I have never -- not one time -- heard anyone give the excuse that an afternoon game hurts attendance.

The problem in North Texas isn't the time the games are being played. It's the way we play the games. Most people don't want to see a lousy product.

In the 11 years since I moved to Florida, I've heard a lot of talk about college football. This is a college football crazy state, going all the way from Florida on down to UCF.

I have never -- not one time -- heard anyone give the excuse that an afternoon game hurts attendance.

The problem in North Texas isn't the time the games are being played. It's the way we play the games. Most people don't want to see a lousy product.

Bingo! You beat me to it. All of this lack of attendance talk because of afternoon games, who we play, etc., is pure bullsh!t. Put a competitive team on the field that wins more than five games over three years and people will come to the games. This coaching staff needs to be replaced. Period.

With the new stadium opening in 2011, wouldn't it be nice to have a decent team playing in it?? This has got to be at the top of RV's thoughts. If we give TD another year to turn this around and he does not, we'll have a new coach opening up that brand new stadium. That'll be a rebuilding year and that cannot be something that RV wants to have happen.

I'm not so sure that this 5 year contract is really going to ensure another year for TD. We've GOT to be moving in a positive direction when that stadium opens up. We'll be trying to present a new face of UNT athletics...if all we do is draw big crowds out to see us lay another egg, it's going to kill the momentum of opening the new stadium in the first place.

RV has a tough decision ahead of him....b/c he's got to be having serious doubts that TD will ever be able to turn this program around.

I'm not entirely convinced that a few stud defensive linemen aren't all this team needs to turn the corner, though. It's a shame that it took this coaching staff so long to address that issue that the entire fanbase already knew existed....it will likely end up being the biggest mistake that this staff made. With the aforementioned problem at RVs feet, though...does he give TD another year to find the linemen we need??

majority of college games in mid november are scheduled as day games. the attendance problem is more about 2-7 and playing ulm.

This is still UNT and as a Guy that has tailgated every game for over 8 years whether we are winning or not early games are not well attended unless our opponent is a well recognized team name unlike any in our crappy conference. I don't see how the norm for scheduling matters when the results always repeat themselves, the other question I have is, do mid-majors and lower have the same problem with attendance in the south when they schedule early games.

Regardless of what we want it to be, we should never schedule afternoon games until we crack the top 25.

During the bowl years this topic was beat to death we had a winning record and poor attendance at early games.

This is still UNT and as a Guy that has tailgated every game for over 8 years whether we are winning or not early games are not well attended unless our opponent is a well recognized team name unlike any in our crappy conference. I don't see how the norm for scheduling matters when the results always repeat themselves, the other question I have is, do mid-majors and lower have the same problem with attendance in the south when they schedule early games.

Regardless of what we want it to be, we should never schedule afternoon games until we crack the top 25.

During the bowl years this topic was beat to death we had a winning record and poor attendance at early games.

a 5pm or 6pm start for the game yesterday would not have increased attendance over a couple hundred. the army game at 3pm will draw 10,000 more fans than yesterday. the difference is people will come to a 3pm game if it is of interest to them either because of opponent or performance, otherwise not.

i can say without a doubt that the home game with fiu this time next year will draw no more than 12,000 fans mostly because of the opponent and probably also because of unts record at the time. book it.

Edited by LoveMG

i doubt a 5pm or 6pm start for the game yesterday would have increased attendance over a couple hundred. the army game at 3pm will draw 10,000 more fans than yesterday. the difference is people will come to a 3pm game if it is of interest to them either because of opponent or performance, otherwise not.

More like several thousand, hey we had a wining team in the bowl years, your theory did not seem to apply. I agree winning helps and a named team helps also but it is something we should not do until we start selling out on a regular basis. I can't believe people don't get this, night games are fine for High school in this area, but college fans can't suck up a chilly night.

I am just trying to relay this, it is not my opinion it is just the way it is, so if this happens, or that happens, and the stars align then maybe we could schedule afternoon games.

I think McDonald's Restaurants found out the hard way what works well one place does not always work in others, UNT must understand its fan base if they want attendance to be at its best possible.