Louisiana-monroe

FirefightnRick

They are currently 4-4, 3-1 in conference.

The warhawks have the 16th ranked rushing defense giving up only 99.38 yards per game. They are ranked 111th in pass defense giving up 262 yards per game.

Offensively, they are ranked 40th nationally rushing for 174 yards per game and 63rd in passing offense averaging 218 yards per game.

Considering we are 19th nationally in rushing offense this could be a great matchup and a very winnable game for us.

Thoughts?

Rick

They are currently 4-4, 3-1 in conference.

The warhawks have the 16th ranked rushing defense giving up only 99.38 yards per game. They are ranked 111th in pass defense giving up 262 yards per game.

Offensively, they are ranked 40th nationally rushing for 174 yards per game and 63rd in passing offense averaging 218 yards per game.

Considering we are 19th nationally in rushing offense this could be a great matchup and a very winnable game for us.

Thoughts?

Rick

It should be fun to watch and see how well Dunbar can do but besides that, I don't think there will be much more. I think the game will pretty much be over by the fourth quarter.

I love the optimism.

Call it what you want, I just see a wounded defense with many many holes playing a pretty good team. It would be one thing if we hadn't given up 49 to #120.

But who knows, with DeLoach in charge of the defense he might get those players to play this week like he did Saturday night in the fourth quarter. So glad he is the DC.

Good wins against Florida Atlantic, FIU, and Ark St.

9/05 @ No. 2 Texas 0-1 (0-0) L 59-20

9/12 Texas Southern 1-1 (0-0) W 58-0

9/19 @ Arizona State 1-2 (0-0) L 38-14

9/26 @ Florida Atlantic 2-2 (1-0) W 27-25

10/03 Florida International 3-2 (2-0) W 48-35

10/13 Arkansas State 4-2 (3-0) W 16-10

10/24 @ Kentucky 4-3 (3-0) L 36-13

10/31 @ Troy 4-4 (3-1) L 42-21

Call it what you want, I just see a wounded defense with many many holes playing a pretty good team. It would be one thing if we hadn't given up 49 to #120.

But who knows, with DeLoach in charge of the defense he might get those players to play this week like he did Saturday night in the fourth quarter. So glad he is the DC.

I have been wondering if some of that wasn't behind what we saw for the first 3 quarters. One thing that was encouraging was that, other than Gilmore (yes, I know this has been a recurring theme), most of those who made good defensive plays in the fourth quarter will be back. Honestly, I haven't checked, but how much experience does Phillips have in D1 ball? I think it's possible we saw some valuable experience being gained out there Saturday.

Even though WKU is not a good team, winning that game, after being behind, and the fact that our defense did rise up a little in the second half could actually pick this team up off the mat. This NT team, regardless of what others say, COULD have 3 additional wins...where we would be sitting at 5-3 right now.

The way we lost those 3 gut wrenchers can definitely take its toll on a team...to the point where I am sure at times, even though they have never quit, I am sure they keep asking themselves, "when are we going to catch a break?"...doing what they needed to do on Saturday, and getting something positive in the end, a win, could really right the ship in what becomes a very winable 4-game stretch

I know we all want and expect 12-0 and National Championships, (a little humor there...except for some...), but this team really is close...I don't care what some of you say. This team just put up 68 points! I know...I know...that was a horrible WKU team, but that is exactly what good offenses do to bad teams.

The defense, if you believe in DeLoach, which I do...will right the ship. We are playing without a few players that are going to be contributors next year...Anyiam, Hilbert Jackson, DT White, Webber...ect. Then you throw in Prior and Phillips who are developing before our eyes, and this defense will right the ship.

Everyone...and I mean everyone...was going to be happy with anywhere from 3-5 wins this year, as long as we were competitive, and we have been. Take out Troy, Bama, and even MTSU if you want, even though I thought we made that game competitive after a horrible 2nd qtr.

I think the gut wrenching losses have just hurt pretty bad...excruciating even, BUT I believe this ship is going in the right direction, and we are on the way back, maybe not just fast enough for some.

That's my 2 cents...take it or leave it

Edited by BIG DAWG

Even though WKU is not a good team, winning that game, after being behind, and the fact that our defense did rise up a little in the second half could actually pick this team up off the mat. This NT team, regardless of what others say, COULD have 3 additional wins...where we would be sitting at 5-3 right now.

The way we lost those 3 gut wrenchers can definitely take its toll on a team...to the point where I am sure at times, even though they have never quit, I am sure they keep asking themselves, "when are we going to catch a break?"...doing what they needed to do on Saturday, and getting something positive in the end, a win, could really right the ship in what becomes a very winable 4-game stretch

I know we all want and expect 12-0 and National Championships, (a little humor there...except for some...), but this team really is close...I don't care what some of you say. This team just put up 68 points! I know...I know...that was a horrible WKU team, but that is exactly what good offenses do to bad teams.

The defense, if you believe in DeLoach, which I do...will right the ship. We are playing without a few players that are going to be contributors next year...Anyiam, Hilbert Jackson, DT White, Webber...ect. Then you throw in Prior and Phillips who are developing before our eyes, and this defense will right the ship.

Everyone...and I mean everyone...was going to be happy with anywhere from 3-5 wins this year, as long as we were competitive, and we have been. Take out Troy, Bama, and even MTSU if you want, even though I thought we made that game competitive after a horrible 2nd qtr.

I think the gut wrenching losses have just hurt pretty bad...excruciating even, BUT I believe this ship is going in the right direction, and we are on the way back, maybe not just fast enough for some.

I was kind of thinking about the emotional aspect of that, before the WKU game, and pertaining to it. I thought that game illustrated the way that the mental and emotional aspects can affect, and be affected by what happens on the field. It seemed like you could just see the life being sucked out of the WKU sideline as the fourth quarter progressed.

Edited by eulessismore

Guest GrayEagleOne

Our offense is better than ULM's. Dodge and Revell are close to equal but Dunbar's simpley the best in the conference. However, unless our defense does a complete 180, we won't compare with the Warhawk's. Before the WKU game, ULM ranked 63rd in total defense; we ranked 111th. If we play as we did in the first three quarters against Western Kentucky, the game will be a blowout by halftime.

As bad as we need this one....ULM 52; NT 31

Our offense is better than ULM's. Dodge and Revell are close to equal but Dunbar's simpley the best in the conference. However, unless our defense does a complete 180, we won't compare with the Warhawk's. Before the WKU game, ULM ranked 63rd in total defense; we ranked 111th. If we play as we did in the first three quarters against Western Kentucky, the game will be a blowout by halftime.

As bad as we need this one....ULM 52; NT 31

Could be; honestly, we're kind of beat up on defense now, as I (tactfully) pointed out to Silvereagle in whatever thread talked about defense.

IMHO the remaining games are winable and I think we have a better chance of going 4-0 than 0-4. For those of us who have been GOING to the games have seen improvement on offense, defense and special teams. You can not see this improvement if you DO NOT go to the games or "just" read about the games on gmg or follow the team "just" in the paper.

Last week, against WKU, the team started getting some breaks go their way for the first time and they capitalized on them. ZERO turnovers (that makes ONE turnover in TWO games), 40-14 in the second half, the "O" Line (bustin' Dunbar loose for 227 and not allowing RD to get sacked......oh yea, the "O" Line is one of the best in the nation in not allowing qb sacks this year), RD's game management and gotta say that this kid is good really good.....this kid is no wimp....he is tough and a tenatious competitor....

I look for our "O" line handling LaMo's defense, I look for Coach DeLoach to be on the sidelines, Dunbar for around 150 (currently 10th in the nation in rushing...... http://espn.go.com/college-football/statis.../2009/group/80) , and an NT win.

Edited by eulesseagle

Don't forget Obi. He is developing rapidly. Now if he can add about 40 more pounds, he'll be a dynamite DE. He's third on the team in tackles for a loss, despite being an underweight, true freshman.

If the defense shows up at the start of the game (and maybe they will if DeLoach stays on the sidelines a full game) UNT will be in this one all they way. Lance will get just over 100 yards rushing and Riley will pass for 250+. Just enough to keep it close going into the 4th quarter when the "D" will make a stand, pick up a turnover and the Mean Green will pull this one out late at 31-28.

It's going to be a great weekend weather-wise, it's not Halloween, so no excuses for a poor attendance or a poor tailgate after the "win" last Saturday. Let's get out and support the Mean Green. I'll be there with the "bride" selling Tank Army T-Shirts in the Alumni tent....

You know...the Alumni tailgate area makes a great tortilla wrap, and they give them away to alums and fans...you can "eat" and get a Tank Army shirt at the same time...

GO MEAN GREEN!

Thoughts?

Rick

I think the Warhawks will try to take away Cam/Lance and make Riley pass. Their offense will try to run the ball.

UNT has to stop the run, and run the ball successfully. If they can do that, limit turnovers, and play sound kicking game, they have a great shot of winning.

good news is that our offense has averaged 40 points per game in conference play. bad news is that our defense has allowed 44 points per game; hense we are 1&4 in league play. the defense has not shown an ability to stop anyone, and i have no reason to beleive they will. incidentialy, 3 of t.d.'s 5 wins in 3 years have come against w.k., another was ball state. for a parking pass and two 50yard line tickets to saturdays game[i will be out of town] , name the 5 th team he beat, year and score.

good news is that our offense has averaged 40 points per game in conference play. bad news is that our defense has allowed 44 points per game; hense we are 1&4 in league play. the defense has not shown an ability to stop anyone, and i have no reason to beleive they will. incidentialy, 3 of t.d.'s 5 wins in 3 years have come against w.k., another was ball state. for a parking pass and two 50yard line tickets to saturdays game[i will be out of town] , name the 5 th team he beat, year and score.

WKU, 2009, 68-49.