Stadium Vote Passed!....nm

FirefightnRick

Guest GrayEagleOne

ditto, RV had his chance 7-8 years ago and screwed the pooch, the Ath. Department did not do this but rather the students and SGA.

Kudos to the students!!

Yes, kudos go to UNTFLYER who was the main force and guiding light to getting this passed. Also, to the students who voted for the bill. But, do you think that the Athletics Department sat idly by and did nothing? Whether they blew the first one is moot because they did the right things this time. The Athletics Department did the nuts and bolts in design and fund-raising. Without them, none of this would have happened regardless of the efforts of Flyer, most of the SGA and the majority of the mainline students.

Sometime you should sit and list the facilities that we now have/will have that have occurred since the Villareal administration and thank your lucky starts that it was not the Helwig (or any previous AD administration) era revisited! You might also consider reviewing whether you've ever made a mistake. If you haven't it means that you've done nothing.

Edited by GrayEagleOne

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometime you should sit and list the facilities that we now have/will have that have occurred since the Villareal administration and thank your lucky starts that it was not the Helwig (or any previous AD administration) era revisited! You might also consider reviewing whether you've ever made a mistake. If you haven't it means that you've done nothing.

Amen.

I will also note this tidbit of positivity (for KRAM) about the stadium in the DMN "College Briefs" section of the sportspage...

...."UNT officials hope to break ground next month on a facility that will seat more than 30,000 and open for the 2011 season".... :)

On a sad note, the official UNT press release was not so kind to the 30K crowd....

The new stadium will be the centerpiece in UNT's Mean Green Village. Plans for the multi-purpose facility include increased tailgating space, capacity for about 30,000 fans, luxury suites, an amenity-filled club level, a Spirit Store, a corporate deck and a Touchdown Terrace.

:(

Just got word. Also, groundbreaking ceremony, prior to the Army game, 11 a.m. BE THERE!

I don't know anything more on it. Maybe Flyer can fill us in although I don't expect there's much more to say about it.

You're right - not much more to say. It is Officially Official. We are building a stadium.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Just guessing, but I'd think that most of the future publicity about the stadium will refer to a capacity of more than 30,000 and my thanks to those on this board who made it happen. Had it not been for the uproar from early leaking of the capacity then the change would likely have not taken place.

Since 30,000 was the original requirement, I have viewed that those with stadiums of less than thirty thousand to be riding the coattails of conference members who could meet the requirement; something of a second-class university.

I have to give the administration credit on this one. When I saw the bios of the Board members I did not expect it to pass; plus the other two construction items were more politically appealing. Credit goes to the Board also for making the right decision for the North Texas region and the state.

This is a real accomplishment and goes with some other significant non-athletics achievements for the university this year. It is an encouraging sign, and I hope they capitalize fully on the momentum.

Just a personal note to all those fine denia(l) neighborhood residents who did their level best to screw up this opportunity for our football program to reboot and play Division I football at a higher level, I have two words for you...

suck it! :P:P:P

Super big congrats to the following people who made this happen.

1. The Students

2. UNTFYLER

3. SGA

RV and the Athletic Dept had their chance 8 years ago and it failed even when we had a decent football team, if it wasnt for these three mentions above this would have dragged on even longer.

30,000 + stadium sounds good. lets make it 35,000

Super big congrats to the following people who made this happen.

1. The Students

2. UNTFYLER

3. SGA

RV and the Athletic Dept had their chance 8 years ago and it failed even when we had a decent football team, if it wasnt for these three mentions above this would have dragged on even longer.

30,000 + stadium sounds good. lets make it 35,000

Well, actually you're incorrect. It was Mr. Villarreal who planted the seed of a new stadium amongst a field of apathetic students years ago. Though it was turned down at that time he relentlessly continued to swap out UNT t-shirts on campus for those of other universities one t-shirt at a time. Mr. Villarreal never gave up trying to instill a sense of pride and spirit among the students. Some students began to jump on the bandwagon and the movement grew and not only did the stadium vote pass the second time but today you see more green on campus then probably you would have seen the last 20 years combined.

Probably the greatest move Dr. Pohl ever made for the University of North Texas was hiring Rick Villarreal.

ditto, RV had his chance 7-8 years ago and screwed the pooch, the Ath. Department did not do this but rather the students and SGA.

Kudos to the students!!

Members of GoMeanGreen and other alumni were active in the stadium vote effort too. It's great to give the current UNT students credit, because they achieved something that past students weren't able to get done, but a lot of other people were a part of this as well. I don't think this ever happens without the fan support that has been built over the years by GoMeanGreen.

Edited by rcade

Just a personal note to all those fine denia(l) neighborhood residents who did their level best to screw up this opportunity for our football program to reboot and play Division I football at a higher level, I have two words for you...

suck it! :P:P:P

If you want to deliver the message in person, come by Tasty's tailgate on Saturday and let a couple of those losers know yourself. Rip up their game tickets too.

Well, actually you're incorrect. It was Mr. Villarreal who planted the seed of a new stadium amongst a field of apathetic students years ago. Though it was turned down at that time he relentlessly continued to swap out UNT t-shirts on campus for those of other universities one t-shirt at a time. Mr. Villarreal never gave up trying to instill a sense of pride and spirit among the students. Some students began to jump on the bandwagon and the movement grew and not only did the stadium vote pass the second time but today you see more green on campus then probably you would have seen the last 20 years combined.

Probably the greatest move Dr. Pohl ever made for the University of North Texas was hiring Rick Villarreal.

Couldn't agree more....this is happening because of his efforts (and others like UNTflyer/SGA, et al). If you have been around long enough you know stadium talk has been going around for many years before RV showed up...he has done great things for athletics at UNT and deserves the credit for a difficult and great job...give him the credit he deserves.

To think that all this almost didn't happen if the Golf Course lease wasn't requested to be terminated early by the hotel group. The plans were in process to make the printing warehouse next to Fouts the new AC and re-do Fouts as we could. RV and Dr. Pohl had the original grand vision for this property once the land became available.

As the images get more and more detailed I like the design less and less. Still, I couldn't be more excited that they're building it. I can't wait for my tickets on the 40 to be 40 yards closer.

I agree with you on this. It's like the Seinfeld episode where Jerry's girlfriend is hot under the lights but when she gets in shadows she is repulsive. Ok maybe not that bad but you get the idea. I'll repost my comment from the other thread:

You know what would be awesome-riffic? If someone could sort of superimpose fouts against these images to get an idea of the difference in scale. Because the more I look at these the more it looks like fouts. I know, THAT'S CRAZY TALK. But still, it is a bit anemic in certain areas. If we could see how puny fouts would be in comparison, and get an idea for how much closer to the field, etc. That would be great. I'll expect progress reports from everyone by Monday afternoon.

That was a brilliant idea he had way back then.

:ph34r:

Even if you never get credit for it Emmitt, I do think that was the best(and apparently most long lasting) brainstorm you ever came up with. We all liked to dream big things back in the day, but that one has really become an institution at NT. :thumbsup:

Edited by CMJ

I think we have really blown it on the new stadium!! We had one chance and this is what we get? Was the architect fresh out of school? The whole LEED thing sucks and is wasting us a lot money. Will we have a rain barrel at the end of the slanted roof?

IS THIS REALLY THE BEST WE COULD DO! It's ugly folks. And it looks cheap, at least from the drawings. And yes, it does look like Fouts.

But then again we our North Texas and this is our image. Look at the drawings for UTA's new basketball arena or TCU's new stadium etc. and compare their architecture to the new UNT football stadium.

Hey, why don't we install two huge hydrolic lifts under each wing and when we score, the stadium announcer can bark out....."ladies, gentlemen and kids fasten your seat belts, and then as the band plays "Fly Like An Eagle" the wings can move up and down in unison!!! WOW!! We can even have fireworks shooting out front the tips of the wings. WOW!!

Look, I sincerely appreciate all the hard work people have spent on this project. Unfortuntely for all of us they got it all wrong!

I support this 100%.

Best thing you've ever written.

Even if you never get credit for it Emmitt, I do think that was the best(and apparently most long lasting) brainstorm you ever came up with. We all liked to dream big things back in the day, but that one has really become an institution at NT. :thumbsup:

It also got RV to utter the famous: "I had a girl take off her UT shirt in my office the other day..." in front of 1000+ incoming freshmen and their parents while I was a freshman orientation leader.