One Thing About An Opinion Being Expressed Here

eulessismore

And I can understand the frustrations of those expressing their feelings. Still, I find it odd that a thread started during the Troy game, with little more substance than "fire Dodge now" has attracted well over 2,000 views and 86 posts, with no alternative head coach mentioned in the OP, and little in the way of replacement ideas mentioned anywhere among those many posts. Tasty has at least mentioned Steve Kragthorpe in some other post, but between the various pros and cons to him (never wanted to coach at UNT, makes too much money, is struggling there so might come here after they fire him), I feel that a question has been ignored: Why do some, such as this guy, have great success at some well funded and supported programs, such as Air Force, Arkansas, and Clemson, only having two losing seasons in 15 or so years, only to come to Rice for 11 years, and have eight losing seasons. Could it be that the quality of coach AND the support of a university community both have a part to play in the success of a football program? How is that enhanced by alumni (and I'm not blaming anyone for not contributing; I do not personally have deep pockets, but do what I can) "withholding financial support". And, keep in mind that there are quite a few other examples of such coaches, coming in to a struggling program with a great resume (yes, at the highest levels of NCAA D1 football), only to begin losing.

Ken Hatfield coaching record

Fred Akers coaching record

Bob Toledo coaching record

John Robinson coaching record

Edited by eulessismore

This has always been my idea. Get a guy "on the way up" (in the College ranks) like this guy.... http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coach...php?coachid=806

but get him right after Texas State.

Or this guy....... http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coach...hp?coachid=4073

Or this guy..... http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coach...hp?coachid=4605

In all cases, they have been head coaches and they have won at lower level and lower funded Universities. When they become successful here (like coach Fran) they will be hired away from us. But by the time they leave, we should have a profile of the kind of coach that does well at NT and then go after the next "up and coming" coach. We had that with Hayden Fry, but the "powers that be" back in the late 70's wanted nothing to do with having another Hayden Fry on campus.

Our past administrators' lack of vision, insight, and pettiness have held this program back for decades. IMHO, the jury is still out on our current group of administrators.

Edited by SilverEagle

It is always easy to look at a coaches "past" record and deem it successful or a failure. Who knows when an administration hires someone, even at the non-bcs levels, who is on the so called upswing and up and coming?? everything is a crap shoot.

when Coach Dodge was hired 99.9% were thrilled to death and just about all announcing our retirement out of ESPN's Bottom 10. crap shoot? not in this case. Coach Dodge has proven to me and others that he belongs. His recruiting, him being a winner everywhere he goes and his character. how many of his first recruiting class are still at NT?? a handfull maybe. he did take over one of the five crappiest football programs in the nation when he arrived. Ya'll know what i'm talking about without me recapping. he has gotten more highly ranked high school and j.c. players here than ever before. now, 2 1/2 years later "some," just a handfull, want to raise money.....hahahahaha.....what is it up to now.....$2,000......march into RV's office plop the cash down and tell him to scuttle Dodge. believe me when i say this.....Coach Dodge and his staff will be here for 5 years so you can either jump on board or the handful of you can not show up for games and withhold your beer money from the athletic fund. personally, let the rats jump off the ship.

This board goes through the "I'm going to hold my breath until I turn blue" phase at predictable times each year. It's how you know the holiday season is coming up.

Yet the AD's overall progress continues just the same. It's weird.

Of course, having 1-2 wins usually means the holidays are coming to.

So, we build million dollar facilities and football stadiums, every year?

Rick

Yes. We've got a nice collection out in West Texas, but most folks don't know about them because the marketing around them has been so woeful.

What would be the best way to advertize our plethora of stadiums...posters or billboards?

Well, if we're talking about west Texas, we need to consider the target demographic, which is mostly truck drivers. And, in that case, billboards would work best...those with a big "T" and a big "A" are particularly popular with this crowd. For example, the truck stops T/A for Trucks of America and Texas International Truck Stop seem to be fairly successful. Maybe something like "Come tailGatE, parTy and SuppOrt the Mean GrEen" would prove just as successful?