The Rank Simplicity Of Todd Dodge

Of the call that led to the safety, Dodge said there was only one man to beat if Tune could get the pitch away.

Yeah? No kidding, Todd? That's what every option play is - one man to beat when it's blocked right. But, you're not running it against the scout team out there.

The guy speaks as if he's out there re-inventing the wheel. But, kiddoes, this isn't Tom Osborne, Barry Switzer, or Emory Bellard teaching our kids the option. It's the High School Todds. Tom, Barry, and Emory would have had a fullback in there whether they were running some variation of the I or the Bone.

I'll bet secondary coach Petersen could teach this play. But, I'll bet twice as much that he wouldn't run it out of his own end zone. Running that play out of the end zone is the microcosm of the High School Todds Era.

Of the call that led to the safety, Dodge said there was only one man to beat if Tune could get the pitch away.

Yeah? No kidding, Todd? That's what every option play is - one man to beat when it's blocked right. But, you're not running it against the scout team out there.

The guy speaks as if he's out there re-inventing the wheel. But, kiddoes, this isn't Tom Osborne, Barry Switzer, or Emory Bellard teaching our kids the option. It's the High School Todds. Tom, Barry, and Emory would have had a fullback in there whether they were running some variation of the I or the Bone.

I'll bet secondary coach Petersen could teach this play. But, I'll bet twice as much that he wouldn't run it out of his own end zone. Running that play out of the end zone is the microcosm of the High School Todds Era.

Naw, we supposedly have the best OL in the SBC, but we don't need to play power football in any situation. We easily finessed our way to first downs, touchdowns, and victories at SLC, so why not do the same here? It's all the same on every level, isn't it?

Guest GrayEagleOne

While we don't have the best OL in the SBC, I like foutsrouts sarcasm/toungue-in-cheek response. We don't play smash-mouth football; we are a finesse team. It may always be that way with Dodge, based on past history, but I'm curious about the hire of a separate strength & conditioning coach if we continue to out-finessee the opposition.

Two things that underwhelm me about Todd are his play-calling and explanations of mistakes. I assume that Dodge calls the plays but it could be Ford. Either way, both are former Texas quarterbacks who have been exposed to pretty heady football philosophy and should know that high school formations do not transfer to Division 1A college football.

Yeah I agree that we finesse runs sometimes. There are ways to power run ( and we do run some of those plays, with pulling guards etc ).

Short yardage/ Your own endzone is the time to break out those plays-- not run options with your backup not-as-mobile-qb.

But other than that we put up some nice garbage numbers no? LD ended up with 100+ yards.

UNT= Tailback U ... of the Sunbelt?