Things You Might See With A College Coach In Charge...

(1) A fullback on plays where one yard is needed.

(2) A fullback on plays where you're backed up in your own end zone and need to get some room for your punter.

(3) Tight ends...yes...tight ends that your QBs actually throw the ball to.

Three seasons of this crap and nothing's changed on the offensive side of the ball. Worse yet, the defense and special teams has regressed, too. Dodge is a disaster. Even if we beat the horrible WKU next week, hiring Dodge an unmitigated disaster.

No more five year contracts. Three years with an option for a fourth if a winning record is achieved by year three.

(2) A fullback on plays where you're backed up in your own end zone and need to get some room for your punter.

(3) Tight ends...yes...tight ends that your QBs actually throw the ball to.

Three seasons of this crap and nothing's changed on the offensive side of the ball. Worse yet, the defense and special teams has regressed, too. Dodge is a disaster. Even if we beat the horrible WKU next week, hiring Dodge an unmitigated disaster.

No more five year contracts. Three years with an option for a fourth if a winning record is achieved by year three.

Agree with you on Points 1-3, Finch. It would be much easier to continue supporting Dodge (who I still believe in. Just wait til next year!) if he could adapt and add those type of things to the playbook. Why can't we line up under center when we need a few inches? Dodge is an intelligent person, why isn't he making those type of adjustments?

I assume your referring to one major point in particular yesterday, and if it's the same one I'm thinking of it was the point in the game in which we lost any chance to catch up.

The game was replayed on one of the obscured Fox channels late last night and I recorded it and watched the first half. We get the score to make it 17-7 to get back into this game and amazingly our defense goes out on the next series and gets a 3 and out. Our offense put another drive together and ended up with a 4th and less than 1 situation at Troy's 42-43 yard line. What happens next defies all logic.

Troy brings up 9 men in the box and we attack them with a snap to the QB in the shotgun 4 yards deep, hand off to Dunbar on what basically is a draw play and he doesn't even get back to the LOS. But what is even more mind boggling is the blocking scheme on that play. Everyone blocks D-O-W-N to the right?????????????? WTF?????????

When you need a yard or less you have the advantage against 4 down linemen. You know the snap count, they don't. You know where the point of attack is which you can overload and overcome an NT and a DT, they don't. Your overload a point of attack and shoot out and drive them off the LOS. By the time the guys in the back fill, it's too late. But when you block down your freeing up and giving the 5 guys standing in the gaps time to fill, and even worse, you help them buy handing off 4 yards deep giving them time to read and fill?

I just don't understand. We have a learning disability in short yardage situations that I just don't understand how it is allowed to continue. It hurt us against Ball State at the 1 yard line. It hurt us against Ohio at the 1. And yesterday it killed any momentum we had to stay in this game early.

Rick

I assume your referring to one major point in particular yesterday, and if it's the same one I'm thinking of it was the point in the game in which we lost any chance to catch up.

The game was replayed on one of the obscured Fox channels late last night and I recorded it and watched the first half. We get the score to make it 17-7 to get back into this game and amazingly our defense goes out on the next series and gets a 3 and out. Our offense put another drive together and ended up with a 4th and less than 1 situation at Troy's 42-43 yard line. What happens next defies all logic.

Troy brings up 9 men in the box and we attack them with a snap to the QB in the shotgun 4 yards deep, hand off to Dunbar on what basically is a draw play and he doesn't even get back to the LOS. But what is even more mind boggling is the blocking scheme on that play. Everyone blocks D-O-W-N to the right?????????????? WTF?????????

When you need a yard or less you have the advantage against 4 down linemen. You know the snap count, they don't. You know where the point of attack is which you can overload and overcome an NT and a DT, they don't. Your overload a point of attack and shoot out and drive them off the LOS. By the time the guys in the back fill, it's too late. But when you block down your freeing up and giving the 5 guys standing in the gaps time to fill, and even worse, you help them buy handing off 4 yards deep giving them time to read and fill?

I just don't understand. We have a learning disability in short yardage situations that I just don't understand how it is allowed to continue. It hurt us against Ball State at the 1 yard line. It hurt us against Ohio at the 1. And yesterday it killed any momentum we had to stay in this game early.

Rick

Rick,

This is one of the best posts I've seen on our inability to get short yardage. We have one of the best, if not the best, O-line and RB combo in the conference. Our abortions on short yardage should not happen.

I mean, think about it for a moment. Think about it if you were "Bear" Woods on that play.

You know you have the numbers between the tackles, you just do. 9 vs 5. You know you have 4 down linemen who are quick and have been getting pressure on their own, but you have 5 extra(3 on the inside, 2 outside the ends) to fill.

You see that North Texas has 2 WR's out wide to your right. Your team(Troy) has them both covered tightly in a Cover 1. Why? Because, all we have shown your D coordinator all year, passing wise, on film in any short yardage situation is our quick little stop route that has to be thrown immediately. You and your DC knows North Texas isn't going to risk a pick 6 there, so you cover them tight and that play is gone.

Secondly, There's no tightend, at least none to worry about because again, you and your DC knows from film that North Texas doesn't use one, at least not from the tight end position. You know we are not going to slip one out and even if NT did, you have two LB's lined up outside the DE to cover.

Third, and again, from film, you and your DC knows what NT does on these situations. Dunbar is the only one standing in the backfield who is a running threat. You know from film that he's getting the ball and that he's getting it at a disadvantage getting it handed 4 yards deep.

So as a middle LB you know you have the out routes covered and that because you know there won't be enough time for the NT QB to make that throw(because again, your coming with an overloaded advantage in numbers) nor will NT take the risk to make that throw so there won't be anything thrown to the outside. You know you don't have to defend the middle of the field behind you as well. And finally you know who's getting the ball and that there will be a delay in getting this person the ball because again, film and history told you what's about to happen. And the second the ball is snapped the men on the DL get an instant surge forward because North Texas has elected to block down rather than shooting out, trying to create holes that are about to be filled by 5 other free players, one of which is you, "Bear" Woods.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Why in the world on a fourth down and one play would you KEEP GIVING THE BALL to your RB out of the shotgun setting, and it never works, and we have done it several times already this season and it costs us valuable games.....

Why keep doing it, your five yards away from your intended goal....

Hint: Try playing NCAA 2010 and try a 4th and 1 from a shotgun formation, chances are you won't convert downs.

I mean, think about it for a moment. Think about it if you were "Bear" Woods on that play.

You know you have the numbers between the tackles, you just do. 9 vs 5. You know you have 4 down linemen who are quick and have been getting pressure on their own, but you have 5 extra(3 on the inside, 2 outside the ends) to fill.

You see that North Texas has 2 WR's out wide to your right. Your team(Troy) has them both covered tightly in a Cover 1. Why? Because, all we have shown your D coordinator all year, passing wise, on film in any short yardage situation is our quick little stop route that has to be thrown immediately. You and your DC knows North Texas isn't going to risk a pick 6 there, so you cover them tight and that play is gone.

Secondly, There's no tightend, at least none to worry about because again, you and your DC knows from film that North Texas doesn't use one, at least not from the tight end position. You know we are not going to slip one out and even if NT did, you have two LB's lined up outside the DE to cover.

Third, and again, from film, you and your DC knows what NT does on these situations. Dunbar is the only one standing in the backfield who is a running threat. You know from film that he's getting the ball and that he's getting it at a disadvantage getting it handed 4 yards deep.

So as a middle LB you know you have the out routes covered and that because you know there won't be enough time for the NT QB to make that throw(because again, your coming with an overloaded advantage in numbers) nor will NT take the risk to make that throw so there won't be anything thrown to the outside. You know you don't have to defend the middle of the field behind you as well. And finally you know who's getting the ball and that there will be a delay in getting this person the ball because again, film and history told you what's about to happen. And the second the ball is snapped the men on the DL get an instant surge forward because North Texas has elected to block down rather than shooting out, trying to create holes that are about to be filled by 5 other free players, one of which is you, "Bear" Woods.

Rick

After further review, I watched the play again and our two WR's out left were covered in a cover 2, 6 yard cushion. And our set on the line was a two tightend set. So Troy had us overloaded by 2, not 4. I still don't understand the call or the blocking scheme?

Rick