Hey Sun Belt Conference Expand Or Die

MeanGreen61

Writer claims to follow UNT. Apparent anyone can submit stuff to the Bleacher Report.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/275690-...e-expand-or-die

Whoever wrote this doesn't know very much about the schools in the conference. ULL is NOT mad at ULM over the University of Louisiana name. Western officials decided last year the SBC was better for them long term than the MAC. The MUTS to the MAC idea had even less support, if it every really had any besides a couple of fans posting on a message board.

This loony writer thinks NT would be stupid enough to go to the WAC if we had a larger athletic budget. One, after getting NMSU, USU and Idaho, the WAC has said repeatedly it is NOT interested in any school in the Central Time Zone. Two, the reasons NT doesn't fit in the WAC are well documented - significantly less media coverage, travel increases, etc.

Next this idiot decides the MAC could split into two conferences, apparently based only in some dream in the writer's head since no one from any MAC school, nor in conference official, has suggested that as a possibility. Since one of those two new groups would lose their NCAA basketball AQ, they'd be insane to split.

I stopped reading after that point as this "writer" is so woefully uninformed. If you haven't gone to the bleacher report and read the article, don't bother!

Edited by VideoEagle

point is that cusa is most likely to split when/if big east adds football only school, such as central florida. their conference has worse travel issues than the belt. at present the mac has 11 schools since marshall pulled out in favor of cusa. since w.k and middle are locked at the hip, the mac makes sense for them. i would hope that before i die that cuas splits and adds us, la-tech, and either a-state or ulala. i think the size of your athletic budget and market will be determing factors, as well as a conference sponsor and baseball program, which we don't have. i also think the alabama and florida schools would fit well into cusa east, and la-monroe go back to southland where they belong.for automatic ncaa invitation purposes, the east may fly the sunbelt flag and the west cusa. i don't see continuing to add 1aa programs moving to 1a gets us or the belt to where it wants to be.

point is that cusa is most likely to split when/if big east adds football only school, such as central florida. their conference has worse travel issues than the belt. at present the mac has 11 schools since marshall pulled out in favor of cusa. since w.k and middle are locked at the hip, the mac makes sense for them. i would hope that before i die that cuas splits and adds us, la-tech, and either a-state or ulala. i think the size of your athletic budget and market will be determing factors, as well as a conference sponsor and baseball program, which we don't have. i also think the alabama and florida schools would fit well into cusa east, and la-monroe go back to southland where they belong.for automatic ncaa invitation purposes, the east may fly the sunbelt flag and the west cusa. i don't see continuing to add 1aa programs moving to 1a gets us or the belt to where it wants to be.

I believe the MAC currently has 13 members.

... and la-monroe go back to southland where they belong.

Uh, right. I am one of the biggest haters of Northeast and yet I think you have to recognize that North Texas no way is in a position to make a statement like that. They DO have a baseball program and oh didn't they beat Alabama not too long ago and won 2 of the last 3 meetings with North Texas? Plus they have a swamp on their campus which works as a positive only in Louisiana, but still. If the North Texas ship ever gets headed in the right direction, then you can go back to this kind of dumping, but not right now please. Meanwhile you should acquire a taste for fried turkey.

Plus they have a swamp on their campus which works as a positive only in Louisiana, but still.

I have been to this campus and said swamp. It should be noted that there is (or at least was about 10 years ago) a sign posted there that said "Do not shoot the ducks."

To extend the Simpson quoting meme from another thread:

Homer: "See? Because of me, now they have a warning."

I have been to this campus and said swamp. It should be noted that there is (or at least was about 10 years ago) a sign posted there that said "Do not shoot the ducks."

To extend the Simpson quoting meme from another thread:

Homer: "See? Because of me, now they have a warning."

Are you saying those aren't tukeys they are frying in Monroe?

Uh, right. I am one of the biggest haters of Northeast and yet I think you have to recognize that North Texas no way is in a position to make a statement like that. They DO have a baseball program and oh didn't they beat Alabama not too long ago and won 2 of the last 3 meetings with North Texas? Plus they have a swamp on their campus which works as a positive only in Louisiana, but still. If the North Texas ship ever gets headed in the right direction, then you can go back to this kind of dumping, but not right now please. Meanwhile you should acquire a taste for fried turkey.

Edited by MeanMag

la tech will never join same conference as la/monroe. in addition, monroe athletic budget is only about $6 million, and they have no t.v.market. conference realignment is based on more than won/loss records. look at s.m.u., with no baseball program and historic poor football/basketball programs. and yes, mac has 13 teams, not 11. my bad.