I Think Todd Dodge Summarized Things Well Enough

eulessismore

He identified two problems:

1. I don't know why we still have this one; didn't we see enough of this from one player in what, the Ohio game, unsportsmanlike conduct. I guess the one for FAU was at least after a touchdown. As bad as the PAT kick being missed, and the ball being kicked out of bounds on the ensuing kickoff was, that penalty tacked on resulted in FAU having the ball on OUR 45. Will the players learn (or be taught) after this game to avoid these?

2. The kicking problems: honestly, I'm still not sure this can all be put at the foot of our kickers/punters; there are a number of things that have to go right for a PAT or FG to work. Have we had any kicking gurus to come in and help our guys kick in the adverse (swirling winds on Saturday) that may happen anywhere, especially in Texas? Hey, if people think getting a new kicker is the thing, Atterberry came here saying he wanted to "do it all". Based on past performance, he probably could:

Atterberry kicking FG's for Lewisville

Still, remember that one of his punts was blocked last week, and he shanked another one, probably due to the same rush. These units have to block for the punters/kickers. And it would help if the receivers or whoever makes a good offensive play doesn't put the kicker in a hole with celebration penalties. I'd say this team should look for the answers from within, whether it's the players or coaches (I think the previous S&C coach, who still works with the non-football athletes, used to work with the kickers; does he still?). These close games will always be tough to win; I don't see how we can win them without the kicking issues being successfully resolved.

And I do agree with Dodge's "go for it" decisions on fourth downs in the fourth quarter Saturday night, but I still think there have been at least a couple of times this season when the best choice would have been to take the points. I think we could have at least one more win this season if that call had been made and the kicker had converted a basic chip shot.

Edited by eulessismore