Thinking About Next Year - There Is Reason For Optimisim

Harry

It's pretty exciting when you realize that the biggest losses are Tobe, Adams, and Hill on defense and Cam, Gabe Hollivay and Nate Jenkins on offense. That's basically it. Lance is playing like an all sun belt selection, and Riley will get better. Jamaal Jackson is back. O-line is back, most of the defense is back and William Cole, Tyler Stradford, LaChris Anyiem and Kyle White enter the picture. UNT is stockpiling talent and while the wins haven't shown up yet I do believe that it is going to start to get fun again.

I do believe the rest of the SBC is holding their collective breath because if this machine of talent EVER learns how to win we will be good for awhile. MUTS better get it soon. La La cannot be looking forward to a trip to Denton next year. Troy will always be there and the Floridas are kind of floating out there - does anybody care? Arkie St is probably going to be our equal for a bit and most natural rival - a tale of two styles.

GM

It's pretty exciting when you realize that the biggest losses are Tobe, Adams, and Hill on defense and Cam, Gabe Hollivay and Nate Jenkins on offense. That's basically it. Lance is playing like an all sun belt selection, and Riley will get better. Jamaal Jackson is back. O-line is back, most of the defense is back and William Cole, Tyler Stradford, LaChris Anyiem and Kyle White enter the picture. UNT is stockpiling talent and while the wins haven't shown up yet I do believe that it is going to start to get fun again.

You take Tobe off this team and we don't tackle anyone at all. That is my biggest fear for next year.

Hmmm, I guess the rest of the SBC stays stagnant while only NT improves. SBC championship a lead pipe lock?

All the other belt teams are graduating everybody and I mean everybody ! I mean we are the youngest team in the Belt , right ? No

We can say all we want , we got so and so coming back , we got this guy with this many stars going to start next year and so on , but truth is every team in America can be saying the exact samething. I do believe our talent will be better next year , but Dodge needs to start winning now to build any confidence in this team for next year. Also needs to win for recruiting purposes , I mean how many years can he sell " we are building something here " and not have anything to show for it ?

This is year 3, we are not a BCS school. we cannot expect to go from a bad non-bcs team that completely changes their system, to a good one over night. I know that it has been done before, but it is not the norm.

I absolutely agree with you. However, what is the criteria from year 1 to year 2 to year 3? Looks like NT will HAVE to go from being a bad team to a good one over night, considering where Teflon Todd has lead this program.

Hopefully we will take the steps from being an average high school team in 08, to being a bad BCS team in 09 (ranked near or in the 100's), to being an average BCS team in 2010 (ranked in the 60-80s). Looking at the big picture, these are huge steps. But the question will always be how did we get to the high school level in the 1st place. Que the Dickey vs. Dodge argument in 3, 2, 1...

Guest GrayEagleOne

You take Tobe off this team and we don't tackle anyone at all. That is my biggest fear for next year.

Actually, Craig Robertson is two ahead of Tobe in total tackles and he will be back next year.