Unt Picks Up Transfer

Brett Vito

You may want to go back and check the results from the 2001 to 2004 years. I think there has been some improvement in the league mainly due to more teams, but this substantial improvement everyone keeps referring to is more wishful thinking than real. There have been more home games against more respected programs than in the earlier years and that has let to a few impressive victories. However, to tout a few victories and close games with highly favored teams and ignore the usual routs that happen when the Belt plays the Auto 6 conference teams and a woeful 1-3 record against the mighty MAC this year; does not make a strong case for the Belt being better. The fact is that the Belt is generally rated the worst conference in the NCAA this year as it has been through most of it's existence.

I think the point is that among the Sun Belt teams the competition is better. Forget about out of conference. We all know that for every Troy win over Missouri and Oklahoma State, there are the beatings they take to Florida.

The Sun Belt as a whole is more competitive with each other. There is a good measure of stability within the Belt even though it's schools can't run with the big dogs outside the conference yet. Most of the coaches have been at their respective schools long enough to know their conference opponents' strengths and weaknesses. And, that makes for some pretty good football these days in the Belt.

Arkansas State - Steve Roberts, 8th season

Florida Atlantic - Howard Schnellenberger, 9th season

Louisiana - Rickey Bustle, 8th season

Louisiana-Monroe - Charlie Weatherby, 7th season

Middle Tennessee - Rick Stockstill, 4th season

Troy - Larry Blakeney, 19th season

Western Kentucky - Dave Elson, 7th season

Only us and FIU have coaches that haven't been around at least four seasons. And, even at Middle Tennessee, the coach prior to Stockstill was there for seven years. FIU's Mario Cristobal is no stranger to football at this level either having been an assistant for nine years at Rutgers and Miami before the being hired to lead the Panthers.

This conference has some solid coaching. But, it is what it is once you step outside. You don't have speed two or three deep the way an Oklahoma or Florida does. I'm one who has never obsessed about what happens out of conference in this league.

You can even check back to my pre-season prediction. There, I stated it wouldn't be lack of progress if we went 0-4 out of conference, but won half of our Sun Belt games. I stand by that. Going 4-4 in the Belt would be fine...and, at this point, should be expected.

Hey, the guy that was stabbed (Anthony Hines) isn't listed on Tech's current roster...maybe we should go after him too?? I mean, he was just playing "peacemaker" after all. And he's got to be tough right? He didn't even know he was stabbed until he saw the blood ten seconds later.

TFLF. I'm so feeling your proposed new recruiting strategy. If it is followed, the defense could get a new name:

the_wild_bunch.jpg

As long as the receivers coach will let them cuss here and there during the game (or, at least wait until after the game to reprimand them), yes, I like "The Wild Bunch" for our defense. Or, the "The Wild Green Bunch."

Here's another one to keep an eye on. Earlier in the season, there were rumors that he'd leave to OU program. If he does...team him up with old OU scout team buddy Tyler Stradford just about an hour and a half south? Plus, he's from Charlie Brown's hometown. We'll be happy to take all the disgruntled Oklahoma and Oklahoma State recruits we can get.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footb...s_jameel00.html

Actually, I agree...we need to go after as many of these kids as we can possibly get. Some will pan out and many will not but, as Brett Vito mentioned, we stand little chance of signing these guys out of high school. Our best chance to get legitimate BCS talent (at least until we start winning) is to give some of these guys a second chance. Marshall wasn't Randy Moss' first team, but he sure put the Thundering Herd on the map for a few seasons, even though they were still D-II at the time. And, speaking of second chances, here are a few other recently dismissed players the coaching staff may want to contact:

Brandon Warren, Tennessee

Shiloah Te'o, BYU

Quentin Castille, Nebraska

Justin Feagin, Michigan

Blaine Dalton, Missouri

Guest GrayEagleOne

You may want to go back and check the results from the 2001 to 2004 years. I think there has been some improvement in the league mainly due to more teams, but this substantial improvement everyone keeps referring to is more wishful thinking than real. There have been more home games against more respected programs than in the earlier years and that has let to a few impressive victories. However, to tout a few victories and close games with highly favored teams and ignore the usual routs that happen when the Belt plays the Auto 6 conference teams and a woeful 1-3 record against the mighty MAC this year; does not make a strong case for the Belt being better. The fact is that the Belt is generally rated the worst conference in the NCAA this year as it has been through most of it's existence.

I could make a pretty strong point that the Belt is better than the MAC. What you have to look at is the strength of schedule. The SBC has played ranked teams 11 times. We've played #1 Florida, #2 Texas, #3 Alabama (2 times), #4 LSU, #12 Iowa, #21 Nebraska (3 times), #23 South Florida and #25 South Carolina. The MAC has played ranked teams only 7 times. Their highest rated opponent has been #6 Boise St. (which was played twice), #9 Ohio State, #14 Penn State (also played twice), #17 Auburn and #24 Missouri. On average, the SBC plays more Auto 6 teams than the MAC.

On scoring average and scoring defense the conference average is about a half a point in favor of the MAC. The Belt averages about 15 more yards of offense while giving up about 42 more yards than the MAC. When you consider the stronger Belt schedule against ranked teams, I think that more than compensates for the deficit in yards allowed.

I could make a pretty strong point that the Belt is better than the MAC. What you have to look at is the strength of schedule. The SBC has played ranked teams 11 times. We've played #1 Florida, #2 Texas, #3 Alabama (2 times), #4 LSU, #12 Iowa, #21 Nebraska (3 times), #23 South Florida and #25 South Carolina. The MAC has played ranked teams only 7 times. Their highest rated opponent has been #6 Boise St. (which was played twice), #9 Ohio State, #14 Penn State (also played twice), #17 Auburn and #24 Missouri. On average, the SBC plays more Auto 6 teams than the MAC.

On scoring average and scoring defense the conference average is about a half a point in favor of the MAC. The Belt averages about 15 more yards of offense while giving up about 42 more yards than the MAC. When you consider the stronger Belt schedule against ranked teams, I think that more than compensates for the deficit in yards allowed.

Without the head-to-head results, especially with our best team, I'd agree with you on this, but that Troy loss really dampens the argument.

What we do know is that our team can beat their worst team by 10 - on a bad day.

I'm amazed nobody has addressed the fact that we may never see this kid in a north Texas uniform. Everyone just assumes he will either play or accept waiting until next season. I hope the optimism is warranted, and in fact think it is, but we may be jumping the gun.

Jumping the gun is significantly more fun than guarded optimism.

Guest GrayEagleOne

If he's unwilling to wait until next year then he likely won't see the field in a North Texas uniform. Unless he's been working out daily it's unlikely he's in Division 1A shape.

Also there is a position problem. Although he apparently played weakside defensive end in high school, he has played linebacker since. Based on where Tech placed him, I'd think that's his best position. We are pretty solid at linebacker this year but not as solid next year. He's not big enough to play tackle so if he played on the defensive line it would be at DE. He is bigger than Akpunku but not as fast so he'd have a hard time unseating AK-47, especially since he doesn't know the system and may not be in his best shape. Those seem to be his best positions although maybe he shouldn't be ruled out at the other defensive end.

I hope that Drake can talk him into staying. If he's as good as advertised he should be starting somewhere next year. If he refuses to wait until next year then maybe he could be effective in certain situations and, if it's on his nickel there's no harm done. We could still get one strong year from him. What's best for us is waiting and getting two full years of eligibility. Frankly, I think that's best for him too but he may not see it that way.

The way I'm reading this kid's story we don't have the option of sitting him out and getting two years out of him. A redshirt year at tech then two years at cisco means this season and next are his last two. If we sit him this year then he has one year to make a splash here.

Agreed. I think we go ahead and play him this year anyway. He might be able to really start contributing later on in the season. And then by next year you would think he has the chance of starting. I would prefer he wait till next year. but I'm just not sure its possible.