I Just Figured Out

bigrobdsp

why do we schedule homecoming games on the same weekend as TX / OU??? I realize that we shouldnt have to schedule somthing as big as our homecoming around a regular conference football game between two schools hundreds of miles from DFW, but WTF??? Why would you schedule a game on a weekend when you know that 90% of your alumni would rather watch another game in your home town than come to your homecoming? The people on this board arent the ones that I am worried about, but more than half of my alumni freinds that were at a kids birthday party the other day said "I would like to go, but comon, its TX / OU weekend". The people in charge should realize that we dont need to compete with those two for attendance at our biggest game of the year. next year (and every year after that) push homecoming back or forward one game.

That is all.

Edited by bigrobdsp

Didn't they do everything to avoid it until ABC/ESPN pushed for Tech and Texas to play early? As part of moving that game up, they moved Texas/OU back. I'm not sure, but I think that had something to do with it.

EDIT: What we really need to worry about is what time USC is playing each Saturday. I don't want to lose that guy in the jersey in the crowd if we can help it.

Edited by Quoner

TX/OU is at 11:00am

UNT/FAU is at 6:00pm

Sounds like a kick ass tailgating opportunity at fouts if you ask me....

What's the problem?

I understand that they are at different times, but they shouldnt be playing on the same weekend. I have quite a few freinds that would rather shell out $500+ for a UT/OU ticket than make it to their own homecoming. Even if the game is over early, they will stay in the Dallas area. It wouldnt be a discussion if they didnt happen at the same time.

Edited by bigrobdsp

I agree, two days we should not have home games are both TX/OU and the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

The online 2009 Schedule has us starting the UNT/FAU is at 7:00pm

UNT Football Schedule 2009

This is the one I can't figure out - why we go from a 6pm start time when it is Hot, to an hour back to 7pm kickoff once it gets colder around here. I don't care either way.

This is the one I can't figure out - why we go from a 6pm start time when it is Hot, to an hour back to 7pm kickoff once it gets colder around here. I don't care either way.

I think that game was moved to 7 for TV reasons. It was originally at 6.

If you're going to fret about scheduling: We also have home games on Halloween and November 7th (which I think is the second NASCAR race weekend; they race on Sundays, I know.....but don't they race trucks or other cars on Saturday?)

Anyway, either we have fans or we don't. And if our fans would rather participate in Texas/OU weekend....well then they aren't that great of fans.

I think that game was moved to 7 for TV reasons. It was originally at 6.

If you're going to fret about scheduling: We also have home games on Halloween and November 7th (which I think is the second NASCAR race weekend; they race on Sundays, I know.....but don't they race trucks or other cars on Saturday?)

Anyway, either we have fans or we don't. And if our fans would rather participate in Texas/OU weekend....well then they aren't that great of fans.

Well that makes sense. Like I said, I could care less what time they start. I would go if they started 9 or 10.

Guest GrayEagleOne

What SUMG said.

While I'm interested in the Texas/Oklahoma game, I will be in Denton that day. I will, however, record the game and watch it later.

The only scheduling that truly concerns me is when there are no students at the university.

Didn't they do everything to avoid it until ABC/ESPN pushed for Tech and Texas to play early? As part of moving that game up, they moved Texas/OU back. I'm not sure, but I think that had something to do with it.

EDIT: What we really need to worry about is what time USC is playing each Saturday. I don't want to lose that guy in the jersey in the crowd if we can help it.

Yes.

and, F that guy. We don't need quitters.

looking at the remaining schedule, there is no excuse for not ending up at least 7-5 for the season! Anyone agree?

There are two home games that I think we should win (WKU and Army). 2-0

There are two more games that I think we could win (FAU and ULM). 1-1

There are two road games that I think we won't win (@ Troy, @ Arkansas State) 0-2

There are two road games that I thnk we could win, but won't (@ULL, @ FIU) 0-2

In this scenario, UNT finishes with a record of 4-8. That would represent more wins this year than in the previous 2 years combined and more wins than UNT has had since the last year of the SBC championship run (2004).

Here is the really sad part and what I hope gives some perspective to the board about our program. We moved up to Division 1-A in 1995. From 1995-2008, UNT has won 5 games or more in a season 5 times (1996, 2001-2004). In 1996, we won 5 games (including a win at home over 1-AA Illinois State). In 2001, we won 5 games in the first year of the SBC. In 2002, we won 8 games (including a home win against 1-AA Nicholls St). In 2003, we won 9 games. In 2004, we won 7 games. In the other years, it wasn't so pretty. In 1995, we won 2 games (including one against a 1-AA Idaho State). In 1997, we won 4 games (including 1 against 1-aa Indiana State). In 1998, we won 3 games. In 1999, we won 2 games. In 2000, we won 3 games. In 2005, we won 2 games. In 2006, we won 3 games. In 2007, we won 2 games. In 2008, we won 1 game.

It doesn't matter if we look at the coaching of Simon, Dickey, or Dodge, getting 5 wins against Division 1 teams has been amazingly difficult. As a matter of fact, we have done it exactly 4 times in 15 years. If Dodge gets us to 4-8, there is no debate about him being back next year. It might frustrate LoveMG, TFLF, shaft, UNTPlaymaker, and others, but he will be back--and should. Because, sadly, he will have done something that just doesn't happen much around here-- win 4 FBS games in one season.

And, trust me, if you want to get into a debate on raising standards, I'm all for it--but talk to the administration and the BOR first. They are the only ones that can apply the pressure (and $$$) to the AD and the head coach to change things. With a 28K stadium on the way and a coaching staff that combined probably makes less than all but 15-20 other FBS team, none of us should our breath.

You have got to create your own market for your product, not slip slide around other products. Win and be fun doing it, and you can schedule any game you want any time you want. Ever think you'll see the day when Texas-OU fans stop in Denton on their way home to watch a pretty good football game in Denton, too?

You have got to create your own market for your product, not slip slide around other products. Win and be fun doing it, and you can schedule any game you want any time you want. Ever think you'll see the day when Texas-OU fans stop in Denton on their way home to watch a pretty good football game in Denton, too?

drex...excellent point!

I respectfuly disagree. TX/OU is like the superbowl in Dallas Texas. It is the biggest college football game of the year in the whole state. Much bigger than any bowl game that happens here. We shouldnt have to schedule around it but, to garner the largest crowd of football fans, we do.

Edited by bigrobdsp

they may watch on tv as much as they will florida vs lsu or bama auburn or any other rivalry game. it is just another game to non connected fans. screw em both!

Seriously? People in Texas do not consider themselves "non-connected" when it comes to this game. I guarantee if you compare the Nielsen ratings in the Metroplex for the UT-OU game with Bama-Auburn, it won't even be close.

I look forward to the day when your average college football fan in the Metroplex will be more excited about a North Texas game than UT-OU, but that's a long way off, if ever.

There are two home games that I think we should win (WKU and Army). 2-0

There are two more games that I think we could win (FAU and ULM). 1-1

There are two road games that I think we won't win (@ Troy, @ Arkansas State) 0-2

There are two road games that I thnk we could win, but won't (@ULL, @ FIU) 0-2

In this scenario, UNT finishes with a record of 4-8. That would represent more wins this year than in the previous 2 years combined and more wins than UNT has had since the last year of the SBC championship run (2004).

Here is the really sad part and what I hope gives some perspective to the board about our program. We moved up to Division 1-A in 1995. From 1995-2008, UNT has won 5 games or more in a season 5 times (1996, 2001-2004). In 1996, we won 5 games (including a win at home over 1-AA Illinois State). In 2001, we won 5 games in the first year of the SBC. In 2002, we won 8 games (including a home win against 1-AA Nicholls St). In 2003, we won 9 games. In 2004, we won 7 games. In the other years, it wasn't so pretty. In 1995, we won 2 games (including one against a 1-AA Idaho State). In 1997, we won 4 games (including 1 against 1-aa Indiana State). In 1998, we won 3 games. In 1999, we won 2 games. In 2000, we won 3 games. In 2005, we won 2 games. In 2006, we won 3 games. In 2007, we won 2 games. In 2008, we won 1 game.

It doesn't matter if we look at the coaching of Simon, Dickey, or Dodge, getting 5 wins against Division 1 teams has been amazingly difficult. As a matter of fact, we have done it exactly 4 times in 15 years. If Dodge gets us to 4-8, there is no debate about him being back next year. It might frustrate LoveMG, TFLF, shaft, UNTPlaymaker, and others, but he will be back--and should. Because, sadly, he will have done something that just doesn't happen much around here-- win 4 FBS games in one season.

And, trust me, if you want to get into a debate on raising standards, I'm all for it--but talk to the administration and the BOR first. They are the only ones that can apply the pressure (and $$$) to the AD and the head coach to change things. With a 28K stadium on the way and a coaching staff that combined probably makes less than all but 15-20 other FBS team, none of us should our breath.

There is a positive to be taken from all of this. With very little history of success and coming off a blow-out loss to Alabama, a game played in one of the worst stadiums in the country against a Sun belt team draws 22,000 fans. I seriously think if we put a winning team in the new stadium it will sell out most games. This school is ready to go big time. We just need the success on the field.

Edited by HoustonEagle

I respectfuly disagree. TX/OU is like the superbowl in Dallas Texas. It is the biggest college football game of the year in the whole state. Much bigger than any bowl game that happens here. We shouldnt have to schedule around it but, to garner the largest crowd of football fans, we do.

And...we did. They just didn't consult us before moving it again.