Men's Basketball Roster

chrisfisher

Some updates have been made to the Men's Basketball roster. Nothing too major though. They have now entered all recruits, except Alzee Williams, assigned shirt numbers to newbies, and updated height and weight. I assume their background info is next. There is a new addition to the roster in Nick Goff, presumably a walk-on, a 6'3" guard from Columbus, OH (St. Francis de Sales).

A quick search in the my.unt directory shows that Mangrum is employed by the athletic department and says "student assisstant". Also it lists Alzee as a freshman business major, so it appears that he did enroll.

I watched an interview with Coach Jones on the meangreen site and he specifically talked about the play of Alzee, so I'm pretty sure he is with the team. Not sure why he is not on the roster.

A quick search in the my.unt directory shows that Mangrum is employed by the athletic department and says "student assisstant". Also it lists Alzee as a freshman business major, so it appears that he did enroll.

Alzee Williams is shown on the roster at this time...6-4, 168, freshman Mississippi Elite Christian Academy...no picture or other information at this time.

Alzee Williams is shown on the roster at this time...6-4, 168, freshman Mississippi Elite Christian Academy...no picture or other information at this time.

Any chance he is the next freshman point guard in training?

Any chance he is the next freshman point guard in training?

Full Court Press had this to say about Alzee Williams: "Alzee Williams 6’2” 2009 Mississippi Elite (Jackson MS)

Gritty off-guard is an excellent slashing scorer."

He made the All-Tourney Team for the National Prep Alliance.

This is from a newspaper: "Other action: Mississippi Elite Christian Academy won a close one with Rend Lake College, 74-66. Guy Landry Edi paced the winners with 19 points. Alzee Williams chipped in 16."

Also this:

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/...9.6feaadb0.html

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke to Mangrum briefly at the football game yesterday... always such a nice guy... he told me that he is physical able to play again this season... and he seemed pretty confident about his return....

It looks like we have some really good sized guards to turn too as needed:

Shorter, Shannon, 6-4, 200LB

Mangrum, Collin, 6-5, 190LB

Thomas, Richard 6-5, 190Lb

Thompson, Tristan 6-5, 190LB

Although Alzee Williams clocks in at 6-4, he is only 168LB so I don't think I'd lop him in with this group..

Chris

Edited by chrisfisher

I spoke to Mangrum briefly at the football game yesterday... always such a nice guy... he told me that he is physical able to play again this season... and he seemed pretty confident about his return....

It looks like we have some really good sized guards to turn too as needed:

Shorter, Shannon, 6-4, 200LB

Mangrum, Collin, 6-5, 190LB

Thomas, Richard 6-5, 190Lb

Thompson, Tristan 6-5, 190LB

Although Alzee Williams clocks in at 6-4, he is only 168LB so I don't think I'd lop him in with this group..

Chris

Why does a guys' weight matter if he's a guard? (as long as he's not too fat). BTW...Coach JJ is very high on Williams.

Why does a guys' weight matter if he's a guard? (as long as he's not too fat). BTW...Coach JJ is very high on Williams.

It isn't terribly important...but I'd say it is relevent to a guy like Shorter who is more of a slasher than a perimeter shooter and I imagine will see some time at the 4 this season to match up with Kersuch and Haddock.

It isn't terribly important...but I'd say it is relevent to a guy like Shorter who is more of a slasher than a perimeter shooter and I imagine will see some time at the 4 this season to match up with Kersuch and Haddock.

I saw Shorter play a few times when he was in JUCO, and guards had fits trying to guard him because of his thickness. Dude is a brawler.

I saw Shorter play a few times when he was in JUCO, and guards had fits trying to guard him because of his thickness. Dude is a brawler.

Love to hear that. We've been fortunante to have some really talented perimeter players over the past few seasons, but few have really relished the chance to attack the basket. I like this.