North Texas Notebook: Unt Looks To Cut Out Mistakes

mgsteve

Hmmmm,

"Dodge: UNT to work on throwing deep

One aspect of UNT’s offense that has been missing most of the year is the ability to throw the ball deep.

It’s a problem Dodge said he plans to address during the bye week. UNT has just three passes that have covered more than 30 yards this season, only one of which was thrown by starting quarterback Riley Dodge.

Jamaal Jackson took a short pass from Dodge in UNT’s win over Ball State and turned it into a 59-yard gain.

“We have to start getting the ball deep,” Dodge said. "

I am very glad to see BJ Lewis back. At 6-1, and sprinters speed, BJ is one WR that can make the deep pass go.

Mike Outlaw, Jamaal Jackson, and BJ, all have the speed for the deep routes. Darius Carey- well, what can he not do? Keep him in the slot, and outside? Kevin Dickerson was open deep in the muts game several times.

I am glad that Forest Rucker is working back into more playing time. I believe he caught 2 passes in the muts game.

With his height, and good speed for a big WR/TE, he would be good mis-match against defensive sceondary coverage. I think Rucker at wideout going deep, in certain game situations, will be a great weapon to have.

This team has the WR's to stretch the field and make the deep pass game work. The deep pass opprotunity is usually set up by several plays, or if the WR can flat beat the secondary coverage. The QB must be able to set up, and to see the WR as the play develops.

To say the offense does not have any deep pass plays or hinting this team cannot make a deep pass is dumb.

This deep pass game is there, the team has the receivers to make it successful, and the offense will use the

deep pass at the right opportunity. I am not worried about the deep passing game because these plays will

happen this season.