Some Random Football Notes

NT03

One thing NT could do much better at but does not is line up fast and snap the ball quickly in short yardage situations. There were a couple prime opportunities against MUTS when we were over the ball ready and they were not but (as usual in this offense) we got out of stance to get a new play call, thus giving MUTS time to be ready...and they stopped the play.

One thing NT could do much better at but does not is line up fast and snap the ball quickly in short yardage situations. There were a couple prime opportunities against MUTS when we were over the ball ready and they were not but (as usual in this offense) we got out of stance to get a new play call, thus giving MUTS time to be ready...and they stopped the play.

This use to be my signature : MarK my Word ,U the fan will get tired of all the looking at the sidelines before each play by mid season. :D

Seriously , what's the point of the no huddle when it takes forever to decide which play. If you tell me it's too adjust , I'll tell you to go look up the stats and see how well it's working. It gives the DEF the advantage when you do this. Riley has ran this offense since he was in swim school and I bet he's seen all types of DEF's against it. Let him get the troops to the line , call the play himself and keep the DEF's unbalanced.

Edited by NT03

This use to be my signature : MarK my Word ,U the fan will get tired of all the looking at the sidelines before each play by mid season. :D

Seriously , what's the point of the no huddle when it takes forever to decide which play. If you tell me it's too adjust , I'll tell you to go look up the stats and see how well it's working. It gives the DEF the advantage when you do this. Riley has ran this offense since he was in swim school and I bet he's seen all types of DEF's against it. Let him get the troops to the line , call the play himself and keep the DEF's unbalanced.

I think you have the no huddle offense mistaken with the hurry up offense. We don't run a hurry up, no huddle. We get to the line setup in our formation so we can read the defense, then make adjustments. We do NOT run the offense we run so we can catch defenses out of position or out of breath---though we can take advantage of getting them into a package that's more beneficial to us b/c it's harder to substitute against a no-huddle.

While we're working on things...is there any way to get Jeremy Knott to put more loft on the ball? (for FGs and PATs). I would bet the high majority of his blocks have been at the line of scrimmage.....because he kicks the ball so darn low.

• Upvote 1

Guest GrayEagleOne

While we're working on things...is there any way to get Jeremy Knott to put more loft on the ball? (for FGs and PATs). I would bet the high majority of his blocks have been at the line of scrimmage.....because he kicks the ball so darn low.

If you want more loft on the ball you need to talk to Nathan Tune. The amount of tilt in the hold is the easier way to get more loft. Kickers, especially experienced kickers like Knott, practice hours upon hours to hit the ball in the "sweet spot" where they get the best compromise on distance and loft. However, a ball placed upright or with a forward lean will not go as high as one leaned toward the kicker.

I can't speak for all of Knott's blocked kicks but the one against Muts was neither the kicker's nor the holder's fault. That snap hit the turf well in front of Tune The second or so that he lost retrieving and setting up the ball delayed the kicker and resulted in the block.

I can't speak for all of Knott's blocked kicks but the one against Muts was neither the kicker's nor the holder's fault. That snap hit the turf well in front of Tune The second or so that he lost retrieving and setting up the ball delayed the kicker and resulted in the block.

That was a bad snap, but the height that the ball traveled looked just as low as they always do, to me. JK follows the ball off his foot. It's a bad habit he's had since he got here. And as has been his history at NT, I suspect we will continue to see kicks getting blocked the remainder of the season.

I wished the coaches could have gotten Keith Chapman, Baz or Jason Ball to stop by during the off season and see if they could find anything that would help fix the problem.

Speaking of Keith Chapman, I've never witnessed a more powerful kicker in person. During practices as a warm up he used to "No Step" kick from 35 yards out, and everytime the football would reach heights well above the verticle posts. It was rediculous how good he was. One day during the spring training of 1988 I saw with my own eyes a wind-aided(out of the north) 70 yarder...with ease that cleared the cross bar by about 5 feet.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

This goes for both sides of the ball. There have been several times where our D line is not ready for the snap. It drives me crazy to see that.