Tonight's Crowd

SUMG

I hope everyone realizes that at every sporting event you attend (including those to which you bring friends and family) you have but a 50-50 chance of leaving unhappy with the outcome. That UNT has only managed 4 wins in 3 years only further serves to underline the importance of embracing the things we can control (the tailgating, the traditions, the camaraderie, the renewal of friendships), rather than riding the ever-uncertain wave of baseless optimism into that black sea of brokenhearted reality.

largest crowd ever for a conference game at fouts and we give them an unmotivated team? :angry:

This should tell you how the culture is changing around this university. This is a huge positive from this weekend. I really believe that if we ever start winning consistenly, we will draw over 30,000 a game. Just hope the new stadium is big enough for the fan base (if we start winning).

We outdraw the NMSU conference championship game (I know it's not a real conference champ game) with a 1-2 team coming off a 1-11 season. Times are changing.

We have 1 person in our crew that managed to sit through their first ever college game in the rain, had a good time at the second game, and will be at the next game. What's kept this person coming back is the games have been exciting to watch.

The Eagle1855 post is a nice one.

The friends that come to games with us enjoy Saturday football (even THAT football), but they enjoy much more:

Saturday tailgating on the old practice field (whoever maintains that grass should be promoted).

Bounce houses.

Beth Marie ice cream.

Brats and beer.

The pre-game pickle.

Watermelon at the tailgate...better than watermelon at home.

Football games on the old practice fields (see the grass comment above).

The free "stuff" that is given out at some of the booths.

The music.

The people watching.

Hanging out with buddies, past and present.

The band coming through...twice.

The absolutely scary look that TDodge had on his face when he came in, hooked arm in arm with his team, during the player walk through the tailgate.

Boomer.

The dancers (vote Holly).

The Family section.

Kettle corn.

Debating football strategy....lots of fodder for the debate.

Kids holding up signs trying to get on TV at many of our games...guess I will have to buy them a firefighter helmet.

The halftime on the field for the JMGC members, and their buddies.

The hint of a comeback in the 3Q.

The fireworks (though I violently disagree with fireworks after a LOSS).

Post-game football on the field.

And a couple of weeks of anticipation until the next one.

But admittedly, I have assembled this crew over many years. I talk about NT football a lot. When no one else cares, I am still talking. When they want to talk about their school, they know I will outlast them about mine. They know I care...and have started caring also. I get emails during games from non-alum friends in MO, OH, UT, GA, noting the score with the frown or the happy face and knowing that the weather is bad when it is. Always Be Closing. Get them to the game...again.

GMG

Yeah a quick trip home even for a loss is better than a weekend in Vegas on a football weekend any fall:)

I appreciate the tailgates and friends and hope a win will come - but competitive football, sunny days, rainy days, Greenbacker friends and beer all make for memorable emotional connections that last a lifetime. It's the best time of year - no trash talk - just fun - just tailgates - hope for wins! No beaching - it is the best time of year!!!

GMG