Monday Morning Recap

Quoner

We all knew what was coming. Well, maybe most of us. Sure, things are better, but we were playing what I argue is the most complete team in college football so far this season. I wouldn’t pick Texas, OU, Penn State or USC to win a game in Tuscaloosa, so how can I hold a loss by North Texas against the coach or players?

Yes, I grumbled a bit with the play-calling while watching the game, but we came out chucking the ball – almost to our own detriment. We were going to see if we could move the ball and expose what the offensive coaches thought were the largest holes in a very complete defense. Maybe they could have game-planned like this was the national title came, but the chuck it three yards and a cloud of dust gave birth to a new hybrid offense: The Spread Dickey.

It runs clock! It might break a few plays! It’s non-inspirational to deluded fans!

And you know what, an absolutely perfect day of execution would have netted us a 45-17 score. No one was hurt. Riley rested. The team got to improve their execution of core plays against SEC players in a glorified scrimmage. Is it fun? Heck no, but it is the curse of the money game. Dodge may not be Hayden Fry yet – but no one is asking him to be. All we want is a Wade Phillips-esque .500 or slightly better this year. Have you ever opened a program or media guide and counted the $1,000+ donors? It’s depressing. Until we can fill more than a quarter of a page with names, these games are just part of the deal.

Enough of me lecturing everyone. Most of the fan base seems to get this. The weekend was what it was (tired phrase alert!) I only had 3 pages of threads to sort through this morning and most of it was standard fare. My first two recaps have been overstuffed, so I’ve boiled the weekend down into one main topic:

Meangreenbob sure stole the show this weekend.

He seems like a good guy. He loves politics and "Merica! He doesn’t usually overreact. He knows American history! In short, every parent's dream.

Unless your son plays football for North Texas.

We had warning sings something might be coming when the addition of water to cloth inspired one of the best threads of the young season. He also gave the team a nice back-handed compliment for the Ohio game, so it was pretty much a wash.

Still, Ohio was a stressful loss and it’s hard to think clearly when your heart is broken.

Then, Saturday came. I can only assume you were left alone to watch the game in a dark cell with only an aged bottle of George Dickle whiskey, a computer, horse tranquilizers and an old TV with a UHF antenna to keep you company. That led to these glorious posts:

Jesus Christ will return before this school will ever be competitive at this level. Lets dominate 1AA..........if we can?

Bob's consistent on religion, so I can only assume this was strategic hyperbole – like when Paul demanded castration in Galatians 5:12.

Then, you accused the team of not trying at all. Never mind the size difference and the fact that it was obvious the kids were giving the effort – it’s more fun to accuse them of loafing to explain the talent gap. That way you get to type words and feel better –everybody wins (except the athletes working, the coaches, the athletic department, the fans, the student body, the folks who traveled to the game and maybe Brett Vito). Bringing it back to the Bible, maybe this is like when Jesus throws out the money lenders at the temple?

Then, it was time for back-handed compliments to Nathan Tune again. He earned the start by executing a horrible game plan Yes, Dodge said we would try to win these games – but I’ve been trying to train my dog to do the peanut butter trick for 5 years whenever I say the word “dandelion.” In a perfect world, he would open the fridge and even figure out how to work belts. Some great ideas are just not meant to be.

Bob also called for the AD to hand back the fans money from traveling. I’m pretty sure they could come up with the $943.67 that would require.

Still, when you logged on this morning, you calmed down some in this thread.

I have been an ardent and steady supporter of this Athletic Department and this Coaching Staff. What I have to say in no way diminishes the incredible accomplishments made by this AD or Coaching Staff and in no way is it an indictment on our future success. I believe we have the right people in place.

I’m going to just believe that you were drunk or possibly high on the spirit. Maybe you have split personalities and Evil Bob got to spend the weekend with the keyboard. I don’t know you. If I ever meet you, I’ll buy you a beer. But if you want to rant about things, maybe take some of it offline. Start a blog(but update it more than once a month. People hate that).

There are concerns to be had right now – but the bigger question for the rest of the year is whether or not the offense can show the same growth the defense has against other mid-major teams. Ball State has arguably been the worst team in college football so far (with apologies to our friends at WKU), so we’re going to need 4-5 more wins to show things are on the right track. We have an offense that traditionally puts up yards but not points. That is your storyline for the season: can Dodge and his cohorts create an offense that strikes fear in Belt opponents. I say maybe, Charlie and Kram I assume say yes and Fake Lonnie says no.

I suggest we all say a prayer to whatever version of FilmerJ’s prayer promises victory this week.

I like your "Monday Morning Recaps"! Thanks Quoner!

Yes, I do Believe in the Mean Green! I will always give NT my support for a win against the big boys!

Bama has an amazing football team, loaded SEC caliber talent and future NFL talent, at every position.

North Texas sure did not back down from Bama, and the team gave 100%. I am proud of the players,

and I glad many players got the experience to play against Bama at their house. Win or lose, that game

experience will be with the North Texas players for the rest of their lives. College football!

Our North Texas team has talent too. More talent at each position, right now, than in previous years.

North Texas does have the talent to compete in the SBC. This game will give North Texas real opportunity to show

the SBC, that North Texas is for real, and sure as heck, not the same team as the past 2 years.

Muts on Sat, then a off week, then on to Louisiana, back to Denton for FAU, then off to Troy!

The SBC race starts this Saturday at Fouts Field!