Were There Any Positives Against Bama?

OldTimer

There's not one positive from national exposure of yesterday's game.

I am going to disagree with that. Exposure is always good. People have now seen and heard of us. A high percentage of those people will not be able to tell you how they have heard of us in 2 years. There have been plenty of teams that I have seen on TV that I don't remember what the score was or even who they played, but I remember that I have heard of them. Would it have been better if we had really given them a tough game? Yes. But in the longer term, it doesn't really matter what the score was.

I am going to disagree with that. Exposure is always good. People have now seen and heard of us. A high percentage of those people will not be able to tell you how they have heard of us in 2 years. There have been plenty of teams that I have seen on TV that I don't remember what the score was or even who they played, but I remember that I have heard of them. Would it have been better if we had really given them a tough game? Yes. But in the longer term, it doesn't really matter what the score was.

Another way to put a spin on it would be this. Hard for people to look at positives when you lose or are disappointed. So try this on for size. You cant really just say there were 4 scenarios, either we win, we're competive, we we lose, or get throttled. There's too many varibles to the equation. So for those people who dont want to hear "we got paid and got out healthy", think about this...

What if we went in completely healthy, Riley starts, hang in there a good part of the game. But we end up with a couple of guys that get injured bad enough to be out for the entire season, possibly Riley, maybe Cam. How important is the Bama game to you now when you're starting conference?

So yeah, I get it. Losing sucks. But move on. Season starts Saturday.

Positives from a Bama fan's perspective:

1) You guys came out hungry, and got the turnover.

2) You guys had some very good defensive plays.

3) The long pass. Your QB has a good arm and some good receivers. You torched a talented Tide secondary a few times for big yards.

4) The short pass. This is where I thought you were going to make bank. Our underneath defense against crossing routes is weak. NT started to capitalize on this pretty well, and then it seemed like you gave up on it. It's going to be hard for anyone to run on the Tide defense.

5) Dedicated fans. Despite the probability that you were going to lose the game (no offense intended!), you had a large group of fans drag themselves sideways through horrific weather to Alabama to support the team. Awesome.