Kyle White

island eagle

Kyle White, our 309 lb, freshman DT, played in two series in the 4th quarter. Guess that means we are burning his redshirt. On the other hand, I thought he looked pretty good, even if it was against the 2 team Bama OL. I thought Weber looked fairly good today as well. Maybe, we will have more depth in the DL than we thought.

Overall, the this was not the best game by either the team or coaches. On the other hand, I saw nothing that would convince me that we can't beat MTSU next week, though we need to correct some obvious things like tackling, pursuit angles, offensive play calling and staying in position.

I thought, you have to play more than three games before a red shirt is burned, or it may be a certain number of quarters. I think and I could be wrong they still have a shot to red shirt him. Riley got a med red shirt because he played in three games and got knocked out.

Edited by filmerj

Guest GrayEagleOne

I believe that White will lose his redshirt unless he is injured. I believe that a medical redshirt is based on game participation. I assumed that some defensive lineman was injured and he was needed to fill in. Maybe not. He may have been doing better than the other defensive tackles and Nelson wants his best players to play. Put your best players on the field and worry about future players in the next recruiting classes.

I agree that the game was a big disappointement but when you play a team as good as Alabama they can make you look worse than you really are. The playcalling was vanilla without a doubt. Maybe they didn't want to show Middle their true capabilities. I don't know.

For now, I view this game primarily as getting through without injury, learning their weaknesses through playing a great team and getting ready for conference.

I believe that White will lose his redshirt unless he is injured. I believe that a medical redshirt is based on game participation. I assumed that some defensive lineman was injured and he was needed to fill in. Maybe not. He may have been doing better than the other defensive tackles and Nelson wants his best players to play. Put your best players on the field and worry about future players in the next recruiting classes.

I agree that the game was a big disappointement but when you play a team as good as Alabama they can make you look worse than you really are. The playcalling was vanilla without a doubt. Maybe they didn't want to show Middle their true capabilities. I don't know.

For now, I view this game primarily as getting through without injury, learning their weaknesses through playing a great team and getting ready for conference.

From what I saw (focused on him once I noticed he was in the game), he looked pretty good. Makes me hopeful for the future.

From what I saw (focused on him once I noticed he was in the game), he looked pretty good. Makes me hopeful for the future.

On the post game show on the radio, they said he was in there, Todge said he was a big body nearing 3bills and that he had competed for starts, and that he will continue to compete to be in the rotation, makes me wonder if our starters are hurt worse than we first thought. I don't Know.

Edited by filmerj

I thought, you have to play more than three games before a red shirt is burned, or it may be a certain number of quarters. I think and I could be wrong they still have a shot to red shirt him. Riley got a med red shirt because he played in three games and got knocked out.

A redshirt is lost from participating in any play for that season. The medical hardship is different (I don't think it's really called a "redshirt", and don't know all the rules), but I think they can play 3 games and still qualify for that, but some kind of appeal must be filed by the team for the medical. For the redshirt, it's simple; just don't play them.

On the post game show on the radio, they said he was in there, Todge said he was a big body nearing 3bills and that he had competed for starts, and that he will continue to compete to be in the rotation, makes me wonder if our starters are hurt worse than we first thought. I don't Know.

Or...looking at it positively...if we've got a good young DT

True Freshman LB Daniel Prior played in the 4th quarter and looked good, as well.

Daniel Prior has been listed as #2 behind Craig Robertson since the beginning of the season.

And BTW, I noticed that (unlike many of the starters on defense yesterday) when Daniel Prior hit someone....they stopped....and in one case they went backward.

The only special teams player that seemed to be able to tackle #28 was LANCE DUNBAR! DOES HE HAVE TO DO HIS JOB (running the ball) AND SHOW THE DEFENSE HOW TO DO THEIRS AS WELL???

Geezzz.

Daniel Prior has been listed as #2 behind Craig Robertson since the beginning of the season.

And BTW, I noticed that (unlike many of the starters on defense yesterday) when Daniel Prior hit someone....they stopped....and in one case they went backward.

The only special teams player that seemed to be able to tackle #28 was LANCE DUNBAR! DOES HE HAVE TO DO HIS JOB (running the ball) AND SHOW THE DEFENSE HOW TO DO THEIRS AS WELL???

Geezzz.

Agree...it looked like we were practicing our tickling drills again.

I'm not that impressed by the whole redshirting thing; maybe if it's someone who needs to bulk up, or someone in a position where there is no real need. As far as linemen who can tackle, keep putting guys out there til you find the right ones.

You'll typically see lineman redshirt because you want them to add some weight into their frames.

It is not all that unusual for the skilled positions to not redshirt. If you've got speed, you'll play.