Ohio Post Game Thoughts

LongJim

Great game Saturday. I felt like the defense, for the second straight week, did enough to win the ballgame in regulation, and that special teams played well overall. I took a look back at Phil Steele's projections for Ohio and the MAC in general, and he is picking the Bobcats to win their division, and rated their DL and LB corps as some of the best/the best in the MAC conference, so the MG faced a pretty good test the other night.

The team is playing hard, and they are almost too excited at their success at times. Need to dial it down a bit because penalties were critical Saturday. Killers.

QB--Riley played well overall. There were a couple of times he faced good pressure, and stood in to deliver the ball without pulling it down too quickly to take off in panic. I would like to have seen him keep a bit more, but I believe the lack of that was due to Ohio effectively stopping the zone play at a couple of critical times. There were also several times I kept telling myself "This kid does not play like a Freshman." That is a terrific sign. Keep him healthy, and this position is set for the next few years. Tune played well also. He looked a bit tentative at first, and I could not tell if the pick was due to him holding the ball too long or whether he locked onto his receiver, but he seemed to speed up his release after the first couple of passes. Kid was put into a tough position, and he made enough plays to win the game. That's really all you can ask for, but the pick six was a back-breaker. Not sure if you should be passing in that game situation anyway. GRADE: B-

Running backs: Again, I thought the backs played as well as could be expected against a very salty defensive line and linebacker team that gave the UNT offensive line a fight. Why the reverse's when the backs are averaging 4 yards per carry? Cam did some good things, ran hard to the end zone, and what running room he had, he took advantage of. So did Dunbar, for that matter. Also a couple nice grabs by Montgomery out of the backfield. Dunbar had the best average of the backs. GRADE: B

EDIT: WR's: Heartbreaking near-misses at critical times. Some good grabs when needed by Jackson and Carey, and overall I thought the play at WR was pretty good, considering--but in the clutch, they struggled, to put it kindly. GRADE: C

OL: Held their own, and then some. That looks like faint praise, but we learned a little more about them against a better opponent than Ball State. Good protection in the passing game, and decent job running the football. Goal line play was not good enough, quite frankly. Two trips to the one yard line--you need to score, and you need to be able to impose your will. You can't muff the snap, and you can't get stuffed. It's coming, but not quite there. Positives are that the DL they faced is one of the best they'll see this year. GRADE: B-

Defensive line and the linebackers played very well. As I mentioned, I thought they did enough to win the ballgame, although there must be some credit given to the punt team for that. I don't know if this is correct, but it seemed that Ohio did not advance the football past the 50 until late in the second quarter or early third? Absolutely bottled up the running game for the Bobcats, and managed 4 sacks. 232 yards for Ohio. I thought they were probably gassed by the second OT. GRADE: A-

DB's did a nice job. Ohio's quarterbacks were usually under pressure, and the secondary had a lot to do with it. It's great to see the defensive backs right on the receivers to make plays. Very encouraging. Hill's interception was great, and his second in as many games. Kid is a stud. GRADE: A-

Special teams: Atterbury was nails. 5 of his 6 punts ended up inside the 20 yard line. Can't do much better. 40 yard average on his kicks. Kickoffs were good except for one out of bounds, and Knott was 100% from the field and on PAT's. Return game was nonexistent. GRADE: B+

Coaching: TD/Ford called a pretty good game. Eyebrow raised at Tune throwing so soon when ground game appeared to be what was needed at the point of the interception. Don't like the reverses either. Defense and special teams were solid overall. GRADE: B-

I read some chatter yesterday from some Ohio fans that their team "dominated" the game Saturday. I don't feel that was the case, and I felt like if you play that game 5 times, UNT wins it 3 at least. Weather was a factor, but the MG let one get away from them, and while the loss hurts, it is a great sign that this team is competitive, and has a hungry attitude. Looking forward to this Saturday's game.

GRADES:

A--Can win SBC

B--Upper SBC finish

C--Less than .500 finish

D--Cellar

F--Fail

Edited by LongJim

Might lower RB's one fraction for the horrible fumble by Cam, WR's? No Grade for them? Outlaw has to make those 2 catches, that would have won the game in Regulation and then in the 1st OT. This was a game we gave away with some mental mistakes, including the roughing the passer that allowed the 2 Pt winning conversion.

Team Overall: B

I have to go a bit lower on the coaching side. You had a B- I will go C there, because C means "average". I would not put that at a "B" which means above average.

Just to clarify I'm grading on a D1A level here. :rolleyes:

I was really disappointed with the interception because you don't put your backup QB in that position that late in the game with the lead. You milk the clock with your RBs and punt if you have to. Our defense was solid enough up until that point to keep them out of the endzone and close out the game. I've noticed that tendency with Dodge to go too aggressive when it is not necessary, in my opinion.

Also, second week in a row with horrible goal line red zone play, and it isn't from the lack of an O-line or talent up front. I get the sense that they really don't know what to call down there so they panic. They need to fix that pronto.

I was out of town this weekend. I returned late last night and watched the recording.

Good read, LJ.

If we could stop dropping passes and finish off some of those drives, this would have been a W. But you also have to give kudos to Ohio for playing hard and being in a position to make that miraculous catch in 2OT to walk out with the win.

I am very impressed by Atterbery (sp?).

Royce is a stud, and I think I saw flashes of what Cook could become. I will be keeping a closer eye on him.

DL showed improvement, IMO. That has a lot to do with DeLoach, Nelson, and Co. I'm so glad they're here and their coaching experience is showing.

I would probably give the coaching a C- for not having the guts to go for it on 4th and 1 from the goal line to win the game. Worked out for Ohio in the OT...

Long time reader of the GMG forum and a big fan of everything on the site. I'm currently a junior so I look forward to giving some student perspective on topics because I know there's not a lot of us on the board.

I took a look back at Phil Steele's projections for Ohio and the MAC in general, and he is picking the Bobcats to win their division, and rated their DL and LB corps as some of the best/the best in the MAC conference, so the MG faced a pretty good test the other night.

Just another tiny bit of measurement, for whatever it counts for which may mean nothing here, but as you know Ohio lost to UConn the week before by 7, 23-16. Last night I caught the end of the replay of the UConn vs #19 North Carolina game and UConn was up on the tarheels 10-3 till the 2:30 mark of the 4th quarter when UNC tied it up with a td. On the next drive UConn had a snap over the head of the QB pinning them deep against their goalline. The next play UConn had a holding penalty in the endzone giving the heels a safety and the win. In my oppinion had we taken care of business we should have routed Ohio? So it's exciting to think what is possible once this team starts to fire on all cylinders.

Rick

I would probably give the coaching a C- for not having the guts to go for it on 4th and 1 from the goal line to win the game. Worked out for Ohio in the OT...

Long time reader of the GMG forum and a big fan of everything on the site. I'm currently a junior so I look forward to giving some student perspective on topics because I know there's not a lot of us on the board.

Well but see I disagree with you on that specific play. The line was not able to do this before so If I'm dodge I would look like a fool for going for it on 4th with a line that has already shown it can't handle short yardage goal line plays. If you don't make that 4th down conversion you look like a fool when you could have just kicked it for the tie.

I know, I know, you could make the same case for Ohio on that last play but remember this was after the second overtime and I think their front line was better at getting the short yardage play - they demonstrated it all game long. Our team has a history with not doing well in goal line running as far back as the prior game.

Also, second week in a row with horrible goal line red zone play, and it isn't from the lack of an O-line or talent up front. I get the sense that they really don't know what to call down there so they panic. They need to fix that pronto.

I am glad you mentioned this - I don't understand the 2nd and goal from the 3, to run a running play up the middle out of the drop back formation? If you are going to run the ball on two consecutive plays, why give the RB the ball that far to go? They did the same thing on the very next play from the 2. So in the first half we go from under center on 4th down but then on two straight plays in virtually the same situation, we don't?

Well but see I disagree with you on that specific play. The line was not able to do this before so If I'm dodge I would look like a fool for going for it on 4th with a line that has already shown it can't handle short yardage goal line plays. If you don't make that 4th down conversion you look like a fool when you could have just kicked it for the tie.

I know, I know, you could make the same case for Ohio on that last play but remember this was after the second overtime and I think their front line was better at getting the short yardage play - they demonstrated it all game long. Our team has a history with not doing well in goal line running as far back as the prior game.

Agree - I thought not going for it and kicking for 3 was the right move if for nothing else, it now gives the coaches the ability to encourage Tune in his ability to give us a chance to win the game. He did a great job in leading the offense to that point, and going for it and possibly missing the 4th down play and assuring the loss at that point, would not have done much to his confidence going forward.

Agree - I thought not going for it and kicking for 3 was the right move if for nothing else, it now gives the coaches the ability to encourage Tune in his ability to give us a chance to win the game. He did a great job in leading the offense to that point, and going for it and possibly missing the 4th down play and assuring the loss at that point, would not have done much to his confidence going forward.

And losing in OT helped his confidence? I just think you have a better chance of gaining ONE YARD then going into OT with your backup QB and an exhausted defense. If you can't gain one yard to win the game then you don't deserve the W anyways.

1-in-10 odds to happen again.

Can't help but wonder what the odds of dropping two touchdown passes that hit your WR in between the numbers AND catching a lob for what should have been an easy, all-by-himself-because-the-DB-fell-down td but instead is caught while needlessly jumping for it and landing inches out of bounds at the 1, as well as losing a fumble at the 1 on a fourth and 1, all in the same game would be?

That's 20 points right there.

Rick

Can't help but wonder what the odds of dropping two touchdown passes that hit your WR in between the numbers

Uh...technically one of the passes hit him in the head, not between the numbers.

Coaching desrves a D at the highest. 3rd and four, 4 point lead, backup QB who almost threw a pick the previous series, at your opponent's 36, about 9 minutes left in the 3rd. RUN THE FREAKING BALL!!! Oh, and put your best running back in the game to do it.

Uh...technically one of the passes hit him in the head, not between the numbers.

Coaching desrves a D at the highest. 3rd and four, 4 point lead, backup QB who almost threw a pick the previous series, at your opponent's 36, about 9 minutes left in the 3rd. RUN THE FREAKING BALL!!! Oh, and put your best running back in the game to do it.

I agree. That was definately a coaching brain fart. Defense playing well, punting game solid. RUN THE BALL.

Agree 100%, D to C- coaching grade. Playcalling inside the 5 is an issue 2 weeks in a row. Defense & special teams were playing very well. What lesson are going to teach your Sr. runningback by keeping him out???? He fumbled the ball, the exchange wasn't very clean between him & Riley to begin with, plus it's a freakin' monsoon out there. Cam should get 20 carries a game, period.

Uh, he had 22 carries in the Ohio game...5 more than he had against Balls St. Were you complaining about his lack of carries last week?

He had to get several in double OT to get to that number. He's not getting enough carries, period.

Edited by Got5onIt