Attendance-how Many

BleedGreen64

Just goes to show you something. Everyone has opinions about what this program needs, i.e. a new stadium, a difference conference, a different coach (and for the last time, we DONT) etc etc. But simply put, if the team wins or is at LEAST competive, then there will be alot of butts in the seats. With that weather, I would have bet a paycheck there would'nt have been more than 2,500 people show up to a game. Many of us that have followed UNT for year can remember all to well going to games with NICE weather and there would less than 2,500.

I was very impressed that despite miserable conditions and surely 30% of the people guaranteed to get a cold or flu from sitting in that crap, that so many fans and students were faithful to the teams hard work.

Tough Loss, but FUN game to watch. My stomach is still in knots and I'll remember this for a very long time.

Thanks Mean Green!

The students really saved the day on this one. It was great to see their side represent well given the circumstances. Also, just as a little aside, I was on campus Fri picking up some new gear at the bookstore. This is the first time in a long long long long time that I did not see a SINGLE UT or A&M shirt. Lots of green everywhere as it should be.

I can guarantee you that if we were playing one of our conference teams (excluding Troy) that we would not have had this turnout. Goes to show that fans will come with we are playing a team that has name recognition.

You're saying Ohio has name recognition? I'm still not positive if they're the Bearcats, Wildcats, or Cougars. They are in no way a "Name Team."

You're saying Ohio has name recognition? I'm still not positive if they're the Bearcats, Wildcats, or Cougars. They are in no way a "Name Team."

I talked to several casual fans that did not know the difference between Ohio S and Ohio U they just knew Ohio Buckeyes so there may have been some mistaken identity.

I can guarantee you that if we were playing one of our conference teams (excluding Troy) that we would not have had this turnout. Goes to show that fans will come with we are playing a team that has name recognition.

I'm not really sure I knew of Ohio until we scheduled them. Hate to admit it. Ok, maybe some Buckeye confusion, but I doubt it.

I pointed out in another thread that two former Talons from the Hayden Fry day's thought we were playing Ohio State. When I asked them if they'd lost their minds, they pointed out to me we played OU, UT, LSU and Alabama on a regular basis so why shouldn't they think we were playing Ohio State. One thought there were only two colleges in Ohio - Ohio State and Cincinnati since those were the only schools he'd ever heard of and that we'd ever played from Ohio. He was also convinced we had beaten Ohio State back when Haden was the coach since "we never lost a game back them. Since Hayden, the team has only one a few times."

Reasoning with someone who has a selective memory is a challenge.

Don't guarantee something you can't prove.

I would say that Ohio does have more name recognition than Florida International or Arkansas State. Does it share the same value as Ohio State? Of course not. But I know many casual fans who still think of the Sunbelt as the dumping ground of college football. They don't really follow the sport enough to see how improved the conference is. So, bringing in ANYONE from a higher rated conference seems to these fans like a bigger name.

It also helps for it to have been the home opener. Had it been November I doubt we have that turnout. Especially with it being televised.

Just a quick note on Ohio's history. Ohio has been playing football since 1894. In 1935 they upset Illinois 6-0 and finished the season 8-0. They have been a 1946 charter member of the MAC conference, winning their first MAC championship in 1953. In 1960 they finished their season 10-0 and in 1962 they lost to West Texas A&M in the Sun Bowl 15-14 on a successfull WT two point conversion. They finished the regular season in '68 ranked 20th nationally and a loss to Richmond in the Tangerine bowl.

Rick