Bring On The Belt

Chrisattsu

I wrote the following article for this month's Bobcatfans Magazine in an attempt to encourage our fans to consider the Sun Belt, and posted it on the NCAABBS board.

There seems to be mixed thoughts about Texas State joining the Belt on the NCAABBS board. Some in your fanbase would welcome a Texas conference-mate, while others see us another suck on the Texas recruiting pool.

Thoughts?

Bring On The 'Belt

Conference Expansion is a staple for internet messageboards. Current members imagine the possibility of adding a rival from a neighboring conference or an FCS-school that is looking towards the next level. Texas State has shown that they are committed to moving to that next level, but we have to wait until the NCAA moratorium is lifted. The NCAA moratorium, which prohibits FCS teams from moving to FBS until 2011, has fans from several conferences wondering what changes may occur in the near future.

When the moratorium is lifted, Texas State should strive to gain membership in The Sun Belt Conference. The SBC consists of thirteen schools from Colorado to Florida. It sponsors nineteen sports (most of which we currently offer). It is affiliated with five postseason bowl games, and it has sent multiple teams to NCAA postseason play in basketball, baseball, and volleyball in the last five years. In only eight years as an FBS conference, the Belt has managed to elevate several teams including Troy, Florida Atlantic, and Western Kentucky onto the national stage.

Unfortunately, The Sun Belt has been painted as a weak football conference by the media because they agreed to a large number of ‘pay-out’ games during their first few years as an FBS conference. Storied programs like Florida, Texas, and Oklahoma bought home games against SBC teams as a way to pad their win/loss records. This stigma has stuck around and caused average sports fans look down on the ’Belt. However, it proved to be a baptism by fire for the teams involved. Playing against the best forced the conference to get stronger, and they are now playing spoiler to BCS teams. In the past three years, Sun Belt members have knocked off teams like Texas A&M, Alabama, and Minnesota. Some Belt teams are starting to negotiate home games against major conferences rather than the paycheck. This season, teams from the Big XII, CUSA, and Mountain West will visit Sunbelt Stadiums.

While football dominates messageboard chatter, the ‘Drive to FBS’ is not just about Football; it is about improving all of our athletic programs and having the opportunity to be nationally competitive. The best way to do that is to play a stronger conference schedule, and improve our Ratings Percentage Index (RPI). The NCAA guarantees that each of the thirty-one conferences receives an automatic bid to their national tournaments. In most cases, the thirty-one conference-tournament champions receive the automatic bid, and the remaining spots come from ‘at-large’ bids. At-large bids are based on a number of factors including a school’s win-loss record, strength of schedule, and Ratings Percentage Index (RPI). Conferences with higher RPIs typically have more teams in this tournament.

The Southland Conference, our current home, is a habitual one-bid conference for all of the major sports. In most cases, the SLC only sends its tournament champion to the NCAA tournament. The Bobcats play teams like Texas, Rice, and TCU in out of conference contests, but then we get stuck with weaker teams during the conference schedule. This means that we could be sitting at home if we failed to win the SLC conference tournament (even if we had best conference regular-season record). Over the last five years, The Sun Belt has had a higher RPI rating, and placed more teams in postseason play than the Southland Conference in baseball, softball, basketball (men and women), and volleyball. With the exception of Men’s basketball, the Sun Belt Conferences has finished nearly 10 spots ahead of the SLC in end-of-season Conference RPI standings over the last five years. The Sun Belt’s Conference RPI in baseball and softball has finished in the Top-10 three of the last four years (ahead of the Big Ten, Mountain West, Southland, and WAC).

Some of our fans complain that moving to the Sun Belt would be a death sentence for our athletic programs. They think that the WAC is a better choice because it has marquee football teams like Boise State or Hawaii. I might consider this option if we were only joining a conference for football, but we need to focus on a conference that can better our entire athletic department. RPI ratings for baseball, softball, women’s basketball, women’s soccer, and volleyball all have the Sun Belt ahead of the WAC. I have a feeling that football will be up there in the near future. If we joined the WAC, our closest rivals would be Louisiana Tech (467 miles) and New Mexico State (632 miles). The SBC has six teams located within 630 miles of San Marcos which means that we could bus to most contests. Many of the SBC teams are located close to an international airport, and all can be reached from Austin with either a direct or one-layover flight (if air travel is preferred). It is important for Texas State to join a conference that promotes regional rivalries, and affords us the best opportunities to be competitive on the national stage. The Sun Belt will help us achieve that goal.

Edited by Chrisattsu

Is the new stadium capacity 22K? I saw that you had 14K fans for the opener. Does that concern you? TSU is in their 3rd of 4th year of this push and averaged 11K in the stands last year.... is that progress? Honest questions - just looking for how they would help the conference. Basketball draws around 700 fans? Or was that just a post about a certain game? The Belt has a problem here - you have demonstrated that if the moratorium is lifted - your school is committed to move up. Problem is - could you meet the requirements? What would a game against FIU or FAU draw? South Alabama - a start up program who is already in the Belt had 27K fans at their first game against a High School/Junior College... What is missing? Why would the Belt want to split our small amount of BCS money 11 ways when we will just be adjusting to splitting it 10 ways with USA coming on board? Also, the Belt has been known as the conference that will take in teams moving up and we are trying to shake that image. We don't have a choice with USA but that might be a good thing given their first game's support. If they offer football at FBS level - we have to let them play in the Belt - its in the Bylaws of the conference (actually - they have to play in the Belt, too - it goes both ways)... The La Tech rule, i guess.

I am sure you will have great answers - you always do. And I hope that we could start small with Texas State-San Marcos coming to Denton for an OOC game to see the level of interest. It's been a long time since we played and that was IAA ball. People tend to be nostalgic about those times but the fan support was absolutely terrible at NT. Also - I would imagine that any negotiation with the Belt would ask that you be called by your full name, the abbreviated name hurts NT in many people's opinions. Just being real - I hope you all make it - but Texas has 10 FBS schools. 11 might be too many.

Edited by stebo

Is the new stadium capacity 22K? I saw that you had 14K fans for the opener. Does that concern you? TSU is in their 3rd of 4th year of this push and averaged 11K in the stands last year.... is that progress? Honest questions - just looking for how they would help the conference. Basketball draws around 700 fans? Or was that just a post about a certain game? The Belt has a problem here - you have demonstrated that if the moratorium is lifted - your school is committed to move up. Problem is - could you meet the requirements? What would a game against FIU or FAU draw? South Alabama - a start up program who is already in the Belt had 27K fans at their first game against a High School/Junior College... What is missing? Why would the Belt want to split our small amount of BCS money 11 ways when we will just be adjusting to splitting it 10 ways with USA coming on board? Also, the Belt has been known as the conference that will take in teams moving up and we are trying to shake that image. We don't have a choice with USA but that might be a good thing given their first game's support. If they offer football at FBS level - we have to let them play in the Belt - its in the Bylaws of the conference (actually - they have to play in the Belt, too - it goes both ways)... The La Tech rule, i guess.

I am sure you will have great answers - you always do. And I hope that we could start small with Texas State-San Marcos coming to Denton for an OOC game to see the level of interest. It's been a long time since we played and that was IAA ball. People tend to be nostalgic about those times but the fan support was absolutely terrible at NT. Also - I would imagine that any negotiation with the Belt would ask that you be called by your full name, the abbreviated name hurts NT in many people's opinions. Just being real - I hope you all make it - but Texas has 10 FBS schools. 11 might be too many.

Stebo,

Thank you for your comments and concerns.

Football / Attendance -

In answer to your first question, our stadium currently holds just short of 16,000 people. The Westside Complex facade was completed in time for Saturday's game. It features luxury suites and a bar/club level for donors interested in the investment. This is phase one of a four phase project to increase to the stadium to between 35 - 40,000.

Phase 2 should be completed in the next 4 years depending a couple of things. First it involves bowling in the North endzone which will require removing the track, and creating a new T/F complex. We will have to secure funding (and a location for the new Track complex) for both of these projects before the completion date can be confirmed. After Phase 2, our stadium should hold just over 27,000 spectators.

Would I have liked a sell-out? Absolutely. However, it was a holiday weekend against a D2 opponent, and none of the sororities were able to attend because of recruitment, yet we managed to get 88% of capacity. I think that we will see more fans coming out for the next home game (Sept 26th) because Greek recruitment will be over, people had a great time last time, we go three weeks without a homegame in SM, and we are playing Texas Southern (who will bring their band).

Is 11,000 progress? I would like to think so. Should a university with 30,000 students and 3.5 Millions people living within 60 miles be able to recruit more than 11,000 fans? No doubt. However, people like to feel good, and follow winning programs. SWT was able to sellout their stadium in the 1980s because they were winning games. Then we hit a twenty-year skid, where we only won a handful of games. New coaches brought in new systems lasted a couple of years, and then the carousel started again. I think Texas State is fixing to turn the corner in a new era based on what I am seeing on/around campus.

The name change brought a different kind of student to campus. Since changing the name from Southwest to Texas State, the total number of applications has increased, and based on these figures we have become the third most popular choice in the state behind UT and A&M. This allows us to pick better students. These students choose the university for what it offers rather than just coming here because close to Austin and they eventual plan to transfer to UT. The students have taken pride in their school, and began to demand better (especially in Athletics). This new generation of student is fostering the foundations that we will need to succeed in FBS. I am not sure if we will ever be able to win back the HornCats or BobAgs, but we can start here and now.

The recent alumni who were here for 2005's Semi Final run remember a positive experience with our athletic program. They want to build on this, and they are starting to come back as alumni. The increased notoriety has people looking to donate to the university in other avenues. In the past couple of years, we have had large donations to fund the Business school, Engineering programs, fine arts. We started as a teachers college, but we are finally starting to see alumni from other fields reaching the reflective period of their life where they are able to give back to their Alma Mater.

Basketball -

My comments on the other board about 700 people was slightly exaggerated. Since 2005, we have averaged 1356 (05/06), 1200 (06/07), 2099 (07/08), and 1544 (0809). I admit that 1,500 hundred is not good for our basketball program, considering North Texas is pulling 2100 in 05/06 and 06/07. You guys have stepped it up to 3,000 in 07/08 and 08/09. I guess an NCAA tourney invite does that for you. We are rebuilding the basketball program currently. Dennis Nutt drove our program into the ground winning 3 games in 2005/2006. He was allowed to finish out his contract before we hired the 'Wunderkind' Doug Davalos. His uptempo game would be entertaining if our players didn't get in foul trouble all the time. He has teams have won more games year after year, but he is in year 4 of his contract, and if you don't prove something this year then the rumors say we will be out. Texas State understands that basketball is KEY to conference invites in Division 1. Hopefully by the time the Moratorium clears, we have won a conference tourney title and we get a NCAA-bid, but I suspect that is wishful thinking.

Could we meet the requirements? I think so. Talking to the old timers, these students are doing things that are unheard of at this university. They already increased the athletic fee to make it happen, started new traditions and created a Brainwashing CatCamp (like TAMU Fish Camp) to hook students. If they can instill pride in incoming students, and get the place rocking, I don't see why people won't get pumped to come out.

Would people attend FAU / FIU ?

Honest question, do people at North Texas get excited about FAU / FIU? You play the games that are on your schedule. Would we rather play a more regional team (or another Texas team)? Absolutely. As a fan, your job is to support the team regardless if it is Florida Atlantic, Florida A&M, or UFlorida.

USA draws 27,000.

I say that is an exciting time to be a Jagfan. University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio just started their D2 football team this season. Their stadium holds likes 3500 and they had 6500 on hand to see the opening. I expect that UTSA and Lamar draw a big number of fans for their first games, and if UTA ever revived their program people would come out in droves to support it. The newness factor will help, but lets see how USA does 5 games into their season or 5 seasons into their program. What is Texas State missing? They are missing a clean slate / newness factor. We have fans that remember the National Championships, but we also have 20 years worth of alumni who remember failure.

Why would the Belt to split money?

Splitting money is a hot issue. Texas State brings the fifth largest University in the State of Texas which receives media coverage in two of the top 25 media markets in the country. We would provide an instate rivalry for UNT, another western team for ASU, LaLa, LaMo, and another recruiting trip to Texas for the rest of the belt. Our women have won the Commissioners cup 9 years in a row. Our women's soccer, volleyball, w basketball, baseball, softball, golf, and track/field have all made the NCAA playoffs in the past 5 years (in some cases multiple times). In my article, I mention that it is not just about improving our football team, it is about improving all of our athletic programs. We already compete against these conferences in the sports listed, and given the chance I would like to think that we would be able to succeed over the course of the season (and into the post season).

Home for FCS move ups.

I can understand how you would want to shake that image. Nobody wants to be viewed as the bottom-rung of anything. However, you have to look somewhere when the topic of expansion comes up. The Big East looked at Conference USA, the WAC looked at SBC schools, The SBC looked at SLC, The SLC looked at Lone Star Conference Schools. The LSC looks at ASC/NAIA schools (please note that I am not saying that the WAC is better than the SBC. They simply took NMST, Idaho and Utah State(?) from the SBC). It is just part of the natural evolution. In the end, it is all about making your conference better, getting more teams in the post season, getting more positive press in the media.

Playing at Fouts.

I look forward to playing UNT. Truth be told, I would much rather play y'all than TCU you this year.

RV mentioned in his chat, that the league would like to go to two divisions in football. I've never seen a league do that....without having at least 12 football playing members (6 for each division).

So, I'd love for us to make Texas State an 11th football member. #12 could be any of the following:

Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, UTSA, Missouri State, Lamar.......

RV mentioned in his chat, that the league would like to go to two divisions in football. I've never seen a league do that....without having at least 12 football playing members (6 for each division).

So, I'd love for us to make Texas State an 11th football member. #12 could be any of the following:

Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, UTSA, Missouri State, Lamar.......

Missouri State or nuttin' for me.

There's been a month-long asswhip of a "discussion" about Georgia Southern and Appalachian State over on the SBC forum. 90% of it has been a jackass GSU fan alienating the rest of the population, and them trying to get him to shut up and go away.

Just seeing the name Georgia Southern makes me shudder in revulsion now.

Missouri State or nuttin' for me.

There's been a month-long asswhip of a "discussion" about Georgia Southern and Appalachian State over on the SBC forum. 90% of it has been a jackass GSU fan alienating the rest of the population, and them trying to get him to shut up and go away.

Just seeing the name Georgia Southern makes me shudder in revulsion now.

me too. The only thing that makes me smile, is that everytime I see Georgia Southern, I am reminded of our playoff game against them where we scored 27 unanswered points in the 4th Quarter to win the first playoff game of our 2005 run