Some Comments On Ohio University Game

OldTimer

Evidently the odds makers have NT within 1 point of Ohio...of course they picked Ball State minus 15 or 16 last week.

Last year they won 4 and lost 7 losing to such teams as Wyoming, Ohio State, Northwestern, Central Michigan, Temple, W. Michigan and Buffalo several of which are pretty good teams.

Last week they lost to Connecticut 16 to 23. Connecticut is in the Big East Conference. This year Connecticut lost their best Offensive and Defensive players and have just 12 returning starters. Everything said Phil Steele considers them a bowl caliber team and they beat Ohio by just 6 points.

Ohio was a minus 12 in turnovers last year but has 14 starters returning. Steels' position analysis:

QB Ohio has 2 experienced QBs returning

RB's he thinks are vastly more experienced

WR..returns its top 2 players but is more experienced

OL This year they hav 5 players who are returning starters who have but 40 career starts between. They could have improved numbers if they stay healthy

DL veteran group

LB one of MAC top LB corps

DB 2 starters return but group is less experienced.

Special teams one of the MAC's top ST units.

My opinion....this will be a tougher team than Ball , and could go either way.

Guest GrayEagleOne

They should be a little better than Ball is at the moment but I think BSU will end the season just as strong as Ohio, if not stronger.

I believe that we have the better offensive unit but the nod goes to them on defense.

I believe that we are better in every offensive category than Ohio. We have Riley and they have two pretty good quarterbacks. But, there is an old adage that says, "if you have two quarterbacks, you have no quarterbacks." We have a much better stable of running backs. We should have a slight edge at wide receiver and even moreso on the offensive line.

On defense, they should have the stronger (at least more experienced) line. We both have very good linebacking corps and are too even to call a difference in the defensive backfield.

UConn beat them with running. Right now, that is our strength. Our defense, especially the line, will have to improve over game one's performance and I believe that they will. We can't give their quarterback of the day time to zero in on receivers. They've had little success running the ball; they need to beat us by passing.

Given it is our home opener, with a road win under our belt, and visitors seldom play up to their potential on the road, I believe that this game is very winnable.

I believe the weather(heat) will have an impact on the Ohio players. The Last time Ohio was south of Kentucky was on 9/08/2007. When they Played the Ragin Cajuns a game they won 31-23.

Hopefully since our guys are used to playing in the heat, The saturday game being only in the 80's should prevent UNT from getting tired early.

Kudos to OT-- He's been telling us for months now how the talent level on this team has risen significantly and as usual he was right. I imagine the thought of what Dodge and company can do recruiting wise if we win more ball games has us all pretty excited!

Kudos to OT-- He's been telling us for months now how the talent level on this team has risen significantly and as usual he was right. I imagine the thought of what Dodge and company can do recruiting wise if we win more ball games has us all pretty excited!

The only thing missing from Dodge being the total package is winning. Hopefully that comes a little bit this year and a lot next year. Dodge will be able to take this program to new heights IF he proves he can coach talent at the college level. Last week was the first step in that direction. I have always been impressed with everything he has brought to the program outside of coaching (media friendly and completely on board with the promotion of the program), now, let's just get that win streak past 1.

Evidently the odds makers have NT within 1 point of Ohio...of course they picked Ball State minus 15 or 16 last week.

Last year they won 4 and lost 7 losing to such teams as Wyoming, Ohio State, Northwestern, Central Michigan, Temple, W. Michigan and Buffalo several of which are pretty good teams.

Last week they lost to Connecticut 16 to 23. Connecticut is in the Big East Conference. This year Connecticut lost their best Offensive and Defensive players and have just 12 returning starters. Everything said Phil Steele considers them a bowl caliber team and they beat Ohio by just 6 points.

Ohio was a minus 12 in turnovers last year but has 14 starters returning. Steels' position analysis:

QB Ohio has 2 experienced QBs returning

RB's he thinks are vastly more experienced

WR..returns its top 2 players but is more experienced

OL This year they hav 5 players who are returning starters who have but 40 career starts between. They could have improved numbers if they stay healthy

DL veteran group

LB one of MAC top LB corps

DB 2 starters return but group is less experienced.

Special teams one of the MAC's top ST units.

My opinion....this will be a tougher team than Ball , and could go either way.

Again, I watched part of the Uconn game...I say we win on the line, better QB and better running game....just have to see how our def does...we go with 34 points min...them ? ??? 17 points, maybe more.

That was LAST year. :rolleyes:

I know, but Boo Jackson was the QB leading Ohio in that game and he is still there. I still think we win, but it will be close.

Question of the week:

If Mandy wears the wrong color green on Saturday, will she piss off just the NT fans, or also the fans of Ohio U?

Guest JohnDenver

If we can also utilize the no huddle/ hurry up offense along with the heat, Ohio should

wear down fast (I hope).......but That can work both ways too.

I think it is going to 80 degrees and raining on Saturday.. :\

The rain, if it happens, should be another item on our side since our running game looks to be solid. I don't want it to rain, but if it helps contain their passing game I'll take it.

Guest JohnDenver

Don't be so negative. High of 88 and only a 30% chance of T-storms, which means sunny until they build (if they build).

With the weathermen predicting this 5 days out, it'll probably be sunny and 95

I was watching local OKC news with my information. Hard to predict how it will play out.

Wasn't being negative. I look forward to a day in the 80's.

Weather: I think it will be sunny, at best a few clouds, and in the low to mid 90s

Football: Ohio is pretty good as far as the top 100 teams go. I would say that they are better than us on average but with the momentum the FIGHTING NORTH TEXAS MEAN GREEN have, we could come out on top.

Prediction: MEAN GREEN win 14-13.