Ragin' Cajuns Set Attendance Record

MeanGreen61

Well, considering that their stadium doesn't even have that many seats - I would have to say that is pretty much on the money. They must have had a full grass seating section or something. Way to go UL - glad you won this one! Hopefully those fans will be back for more.

UL-Lafayette hosted nearby FCS (1AA) Southern and set a school attendance record of 41,357. The Cajuns won 42-19.

What? 41,357? That's not possible! A Sun Belt school should never have more than 28,000? Isn't it so much better to sell out a 28,000 seat venue and tell the other 13,400 people to kiss off? So what if many have already covered the price of their admission through mandatory fees. Kiss off suckers.

Not that this would be that significant a factor, but didn't ULL just start selling beer for the first time this season within the stands? When I heard that they were doing that I immediately thought they might have a spike in attendance this year.

That is true - Cajun Field now has cold beer for sale. Just like the Cajun Dome. Their stadium seating is similar to Fouts - they used the grass overflow just like we will.

So, that attendance wasn't just butts in seats; it was also asses on grass. I love the combination of cold beer and grass seating; hey, when you get drunk and pass out, you're already on the ground. Gravity is not a problem. And when you wake up and see fireworks, you know it's almost time to go home.

So, that attendance wasn't just butts in seats; it was also asses on grass. I love the combination of cold beer and grass seating; hey, when you get drunk and pass out, you're already on the ground. Gravity is not a problem. And when you wake up and see fireworks, you know it's almost time to go home.

And when you wear your Mean Green, the grass stains don't show.

Edited by gangrene

We can't get that kind of attendence when we play SMU.

I think we held up our end of the deal pretty well the last time we played SMU. There were probably more of us than there were of them; maybe that's why they don't like playing us.

I think the real difference is passion; Louisiana fans have it, SMU fans (such as there are) have been losing it; I think UNT is getting it. If we win half our games this year, I think we'll see Fouts regularly filled except for the end zones. We might even fill those for Army (I think we did for Navy).

cajunfield2.jpgcajunfield1.jpg

Cajun Stadium has 31,000 actual numbered seats. There has been 'general seating' utilized in the grass end zone areas. Both end zone grass areas already have a hardened foundation so the stadium can easily be expanded to over 40,000 at very little cost.

There are already supports built on the top of the east side stands to support an upper deck that matches the one on the west side. The supports are visible in the above photographs. The additional elevated deck, if ever built, will increase capacity to well over 50,000. And no undesirable upper deck end-zone seating was ever considered.

I think that UL is in for another 41K next week. They host Kansas State and are picked to win by 4. Should be a big crowd on hand and I hope... the first big OOC win for the Belt against an auto-qualifier school this season. It's a good thing that Kansas State looked past their dreadful seat numbers :P

Edited by stebo