Just Some Thoughts

Reb UT'70

First, I couldn't believe how tense I got when Ball tied the score. This was the first UNT game I've watched in quite a while and I was surprised at how hard I was pulling for UNT.

Second, It's been a tough two years. I'm not sure if Cotton Doge is Riley's uncle or cousin but the relationship is close. Cotton and his wife are members of my Sunday School class and we've been talking UNT football since Todd took the job. Cotton has been certain that Todd would pull the program back to what it was undert that other guy in the '60s and '70s.

Third, I've been concerned about the recruiting. I think one of the hardest tasks for a HS coach moving into college is to appreciate talent. Given Todd's record, I frankly didn't think he'd be able to recruit as well as he has. Cotton keeps telling me that Todd is getting some good kids who will be able to play under his system. I think we saw both sides of that last night. He does have talent out there, and he's still has some real holes. Seeing a bit more pressure on their QB tops my list.

I'm reading that our D looks so much better than last year... how could it not? However, who is going to be the Dodge of the Defense? Where is the player that can pull the defense to level I saw the offense playing last night?

Last, but certainly far from least, I loved watching the coaching battle last night. Ball made some great adjustments at the half. UNT made theirs in the 4th, which is much harder to do, and that's good coaching at the lower levels. I can't speak to the attitude of the team, but I did see confidence in the coaching staff to adjust to Ball's changes and that's great!

I watched the Oregon vs Boise State (I've been so ready for football to get started) game to the end (and that player should be thrown out of football and his scholarship pulled! In fact, since I saw him hit a cop, I'd like to see him in jail) and I was struck by what the Boise State coach said. "This was a typical first game with lots of mistakes" The same is true of UNT. We don't know how good Ball is and we don't know how good we are. I don't know enough about Ohio to know if we'll learn anything one way or the other from that game. Our real lessons will come of Alabama. How will we stand up against a real D1 contender? Based on what I saw last night, we've still got a lot of work, but also based on last night, it looks like we might have some of the pieces to make a run in a year or two.

PS

I also can't say enough good things about UNT academically. I don't how how many folks know about the Foreign Service exam, but only 10% of the applicants pass, and most have advanced degrees from Ivy level schools. My daughter was able to pass with an undergrad degree from UNT. I was impressed!

Now, my daughter, who was voted "most gullible" in her high school class, works in D.C. for the Defense Intelligence Agency as a Russian expert... I'm not sure what that says about the DIA, but it does speak well of UNT!

PS

I also can't say enough good things about UNT academically. I don't how how many folks know about the Foreign Service exam, but only 10% of the applicants pass, and most have advanced degrees from Ivy level schools. My daughter was able to pass with an undergrad degree from UNT. I was impressed!

Now, my daughter, who was voted "most gullible" in her high school class, works in D.C. for the Defense Intelligence Agency as a Russian expert... I'm not sure what that says about the DIA, but it does speak well of UNT!

Speaking of people who passed that exam...

Anyone feel like tooting his own horn? Because one of our GMG regulars managed that feat this past year, too.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Reb, it's good to hear from you again. After your daughter graduated, we lost contact with you for awhile. I missed your insight.

First, it's good to hear that your daughter is doing well. I'm sorry that has to be in D.C. first, because it's the location of our governing body and second, because she can't come back and see her old soccer team in action, They have another good team. They lost an exhibition game to TCU (who also beat your alma mater a few days later) by 1-0. When the soccer gals offense comes around they could be another playoff team.

The defense got rid of some internal problems, gained some leadership, and have really been practicing as a TEAM. We have two linebackers, a senior and a junior, who have been very vocal in bringing this team together. They're not just vocal, they were the number one and two tacklers last year. We've also gained some good talent from the 2007 recruiting class and several JC players from this past recruiting season. But even moreso, the key has been the addition of a defensive coordinator and defensive line coach, both with 25 or so years experience. I believe the defense will only get better.

Three key ingredients in this years' (we think) turnarund are coaching, recruiting and conditioning. We're getting better pressure on the quarterback from Todd's two previous years and that should continue to improve because this is the defensive line coach's first year here.

If we can keep Riley healthy the next four years, then I think that Todd's future (and our future) will be very bright.

Come back often. I always enjoyed your comments during the years that your daughter was here. You'll get news on the new stadium, some excellent recruits and transfers that are now falling our way, and our progress in becoming a Tier 1 university.

I looked at some of the games where De Loach was coaching defense under Dickey and we always had good LB play. Hopefully, that is back to stay.

DeLoach's defense, at its best, plays to disrupt the QB, clog up holes, and swarm to the ball. That's what I saw on Thursday. Page didn't have many opportunities to look any of his passes in, the run stopping was there when it needed to be, and we had a good number of near-INTs and blocked passes. I hope we see more of that ferocity of play next week because really, our defense looked like it'd gone insane on Ball State.

Some good points above. I think seeing the QB play thursday night and knowing that Riley had 3 more years of elibibility will help recruiting especially in regards to WR's. An interesting question is whether Crabtree would have gone to TT if Harrell hadn't been there. Hopefully we can attract a player or two like Crabtree (or Trabtree).