Eating Crow

Eagle-96

I would like to be among the first to eat a giant helping of crow. I predicted a Ball State victory 41-14. I WAS WRONG. VERY WRONG. I based it on the last two years and this team IS NOT the team of the last two years. The first year I take off the green glasses and we really do shock BSU on the road. Way to go Mean Green. I couldn't be more proud of you.

GMG!!!

Beat OhiWho!!!

I would like to be among the first to eat a giant helping of crow. I predicted a Ball State victory 41-14. I WAS WRONG. VERY WRONG. I based it on the last two years and this team IS NOT the team of the last two years. The first year I take off the green glasses and we really do shock BSU on the road. Way to go Mean Green. I couldn't be more proud of you.

GMG!!!

Beat OhiWho!!!

This does look like a totally different team. More physical play, more speed, and a different attitude equals road win. I'm loving it.

GMG!!!

Beat OhiWho!!!

I completely agree. I sure didn't pick them to do what they did tonight. I am looking forward to seeing what we do against Ohio. Great job tonight by the defense and Cam and the offense.

I said this was the measuring stick for this team. BSU is in a rebuilding mode(much more than I thought now that I've seen last nights game) which should give NT a chance to to compete. Not only did they compete, they dominated, and won on the road. Defense challenged themselves and delivered. Great, great, win.

Well, I hate to say "I told you so", but...

Seriously, I dreamed about the game going that way but I too did not give this team enough credit. It is one thing to have a great Spring and Fall...but translating that to a great season is the tough part.

Very, VERY prepared team.

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

Very, VERY prepared team.

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

Yep, very prepared from the opening stop by the "D" to the comeback winning points in the 4th. No panic in these kids...and, gee, who head's up that coaching staff who had these kids so prepared? Maybe it takes a couple of seasons for a coach to get "his" team together, install his programs, etc., etc. You think?

BEAT OHIO U.....and be there to see the game in your seat at FOUTS!!!! Just got to have a super crowd for the home opener and win #2...UNT 2-0 heading into the Alabama game...what a difference a year makes! WOW!

GO MEAN GREEN!

So proud of these kids.

The defense looked a like they have some salt in them after all!

I do have some concerns about our offense and their inability to finish several of those drives. Return coverage looked solid. Field goal unit, well...

Here's hoping Ball State wins out (and doesn't go 0-fer... :ph34r: )

Still, so refreshing to come on here and read about a win.

It takes a big person to admit they were wrong, and it's understandable to be skeptical after recent years. But, I'm not one to "I told you so" to fair weather fans on here or anyway. The people that I want to rub their nose in it are the following;

All of those Nay Sayers at UNT who could care less about Athletics, who roll their eyes at the idea of a new stadium, who say having a good football program "doesnt help their degree" .

In the course of 3 hours, UNT;

- Beat a Team that was Nationally Ranked last year and went to a Bowl Game

- Had one of the most impressive performances they've ever had, ON THE ROAD

- Won on NATIONAL TELEVISION, exposing UNT to millions of people who might otherwise never known antyhing about this school

- Impressed God knows how many potential recruits from a entirely different region of the country.

Last night was a great win, but some AMAZING Exposure and Marketing for this school. After last night, I'm curious to see the increase in stadium donations ramp up in the next few weeks.

I was a kjerk thinking several times that the the team was going to lay down, after the TD by Ball State, then fumble next possession, but Defense held tight and Riley to Jackson was huge.

Thanks for proving us all wrong. Now it is time to skin Ohio U. in front of a home ground.

It's amazing how much a good defense can make your offense. Instead of playing catch up like we have the last few years, you can run your offensive game plan. Very proud of the team, they made a great showing on national t.v.

The same can be said for the offense being able to control the clock and give the defense time to catch their breath. We won the TOP game 37 minutes to 23 minutes.

Personally, I'm not really that surprised by Riley's performance. I thought, all along, that his knowledge/familiarity of this offense would instantly put him ahead of where Gio was his Freshman season and probably even last year. I was slightly concerned about the receiving corps since so much attention was focused on Stradford being a starter this year, but only slightly (still, I can't wait to see this offense with Stradford and Cole on the field at the same time). I thought Riley showed great poise and confidence. He didn't panic - even on the play near his own end zone, he was able to recognize the pocket was collapsing and throw the ball away...making certain the ball crossed the line of scrimmage. There were a lot of designed QB runs and he made quick decisions in passing the ball. Actually, some of those were a bit too quick, as the DBs were starting to jump the routes in the 2nd half - I hope the coaching staff works on that this week. Riley, generally, is pretty good at checking off the covered receivers.

The running game was fantastic - not much else you can say about that, except that I give a LOT of credit to a more mature, more conducive offensive line - great job guys. I hated the 3rd and 25 draw call though - but it was executed perfectly.

The aspect that I was really concerned about was the defense and I had no feel whatsoever how they would perform. To sum it up, they were awesome. I do think having an opposing QB who was a redshirt Freshman himself, did help our defense (he missed some wide open receivers that could have changed the game), but you can't take anything away from how this defense came together and delivered last night. Aside from a few missed tackles and a couple of open receivers, you couldn't ask for a better performance. We had a goal-line stand and, for the most part, the receivers were blanketed with DBs. Even the long toss where the WR stepped out of bounds was well played.