The Key To This Season?

Harry

Counterpoint:

Hero.jpg

Will he have it together this year? I know he's the best man for the job... But that doesn't mean that the job is done.

Even though the offense was a problem and likely will be a problem... It wasn't (with apologies to Adler) THE PROBLEM.

DeLoach is the key to this season.

Agree with Tasty, but would also add special teams. If the defense and special teams are even average this year, it gives us a chance to win 4 to 5 games. Unfortunately, both have a looooong way to go to be average.

So, basically, EVERY facet of football is the Key to this Season! Offense, Defense, Special Teams, etc...

Agree with Tasty, but would also add special teams. If the defense and special teams are even average this year, it gives us a chance to win 4 to 5 games. Unfortunately, both have a looooong way to go to be average.

This, to me, is where we need to see the most improvement, this season. It was our Achilles in the Rice game. Field position is everything. You've got to be able to get FGs

I don't know, LongJim might have something to say about the one-picture theory...

But, seriously, I think you're right. I would like to think that the offense would become run-first with our skilled offensive line and stable of talented running backs. However, I have substantial doubts about the Coach effecting such a radical change, so I think it'll come down to Riley's ability to move the chains.

I think we all agree the defense should be improved, but it's still not close to what we had in 2002. The offense and its ability to move the chains and burn clock will give the defense a chance to grow up and get better as the season progresses. This team desperately needs a leader and Riley has a chance to be that guy for four years.

I think we all agree the defense should be improved, but it's still not close to what we had in 2002. The offense and its ability to move the chains and burn clock will give the defense a chance to grow up and get better as the season progresses. This team desperately needs a leader and Riley has a chance to be that guy for four years.

I think the way he will show that leadership is most importantly by MAKING GOOD DECISIONS. Above all don't turn over the ball.

If the defense can slow other teams down and limit them to 20 or so points, the takes a lot of pressue off Dodge to be a superhero at QB. Knowing that 3 drives for TDs can possibly win the game for you is a lot better than the pressure that comes from thinking you need to score 40 to win.

Guest GrayEagleOne

EVERY player and unit is tremendously important to this team's success but Harry is correct. The key is #11. If Riley falls flat, so will the team. There is no backup quarterback that can save this season. The defensive line improvement can make games closer, the special teams can give us good field position but this is a spread offense and we can't just run the ball and expect to succeed.

I read a quote from the defensive coordinator at SMU in the DMN this last weekend. He basically said that their defensive philosophy is not to play bend-but-don't-break defense, but to be a ball hawking defense that tries to get the ball back to it's offense. Their team relies on rhythm and tempo from their offense to carry them...if their offense is sitting on the sidelines for long stretches, they consider that a bad thing. So they attack on defense...big play be damned.

....I know DeLoach used to always run a bend-don't-break defense, but what are we doing now? Last year we didn't attack at all...we played to try to stop the big play. Now we're changing up our dline to put quick rush ends on the field, have moved a safety down to play LBer (basically putting 5 DBs on the field at all times).....is this a signal that we're going to be an attack first defense this year?

If we are, then QB play is unquestionably the key to this entire season.

I don't know, LongJim might have something to say about the one-picture theory...

But, seriously, I think you're right. I would like to think that the offense would become run-first with our skilled offensive line and stable of talented running backs. However, I have substantial doubts about the Coach effecting such a radical change, so I think it'll come down to Riley's ability to move the chains.

I think that TD will do whatever is working. He proved in HS that he will run run run if thats working. But of course if you're down 30 you cant be doing that.

I read a quote from the defensive coordinator at SMU in the DMN this last weekend. He basically said that their defensive philosophy is not to play bend-but-don't-break defense, but to be a ball hawking defense that tries to get the ball back to it's offense. Their team relies on rhythm and tempo from their offense to carry them...if their offense is sitting on the sidelines for long stretches, they consider that a bad thing. So they attack on defense...big play be damned.

....I know DeLoach used to always run a bend-don't-break defense, but what are we doing now? Last year we didn't attack at all...we played to try to stop the big play. Now we're changing up our dline to put quick rush ends on the field, have moved a safety down to play LBer (basically putting 5 DBs on the field at all times).....is this a signal that we're going to be an attack first defense this year?

If we are, then QB play is unquestionably the key to this entire season.

I would like to read that interview.

Don't know about DeLoach. I think he likes his front 4 to control the line of scrimmage so he has some flexibility with the LBs. Not a whole lotta blitzing, but he'll use it to keep the offense off balance.