Sun Belt Goes To One Site For Tourney

Brett Vito

Since the tournament will now be jammed together with the games played in fewer days: It is crucial to earn a bye.

The way it was......the on site games were on a Wednesday.....and the women started on Saturday and the men Sunday (in HS).

I would imagine now.....the tournament will start on a Thursday for the women (10 teams; 3 sitting out). The men will then play on Friday (same 10/3 situation).

Then the remaining 8 women's teams will play on Saturday......the remaining 8 men's teams on Sunday.

That would leave semi-finals for women and men on Monday; and the finals on Tuesday.

I'm guessing that will be how it goes since the tourney is listed as ending on Tuesday the 9th.

Anyway, men now go from playing on Wednesday...then if they win play on a Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Under the new scenario, they would play on Friday....then Sunday, Monday, Tuesday.

So having a bye...is now extra crucial. (if my speculation is correct).

Edited by SUMG

The opening round on Saturday, March 6 will have a total of ten games contested - five men's games and five first round women's games. The first day will be broken up in two sessions with the morning session consisting of six games with the first game of the tournament set to tip at 9:45 a.m. (CT). Game times will be staggered throughout the day so that Sun Belt fans can go from court to court to watch as much basketball as they wish. The second session on Saturday will start with a 6:30 p.m. (CT) tip time and the final game of the day is set for 9 p.m. (CT).

The quarterfinals on Sunday, March 7 will have eight total games - four men's games and four women's games. Sunday's first session will begin at 12 p.m. (CT) and the second session will again start at 6:30 p.m. (CT). Both of Sunday's sessions will feature four games.

The semifinals will be conducted on Monday, March 8 and the tournament will conclude with the men's and women's championship games taking place on Tuesday, March 9. The semifinals and championship games will follow the same format as in previous years and only one court will be needed for these games.

Saturday, March 6

Game 1 - 2:15 p.m. - No. 8 Seed vs. No. 9 Seed (Summit Arena)

Game 2 - 6:30 p.m. - No. 4 Seed vs. No. 13 Seed (Summit Arena)

Game 3 - 6:45 p.m. - No. 5 Seed vs. No. 12 Seed (Convention Center Court)

Game 4 - 8:45 p.m. - No. 6 Seed vs. No. 11 Seed (Summit Arena)

Game 5 - 9:00 p.m. - No. 7 Seed vs. No. 10 Seed (Convention Center Court)

Sunday, March 7

Game 6 - 6:30 p.m. - No. 1 Seed vs. Winner Game 1 (Summit Arena)

Game 7 - 6:45 p.m. - Winner Game 2 vs. Winner Game 3 (Convention Center Court)

Game 8 - 8:45 p.m. - No. 2 Seed vs. Winner Game 5 (Summit Arena)

Game 9 - 9:00 p.m. - No. 3 Seed vs. Winner Game 4 (Convention Center Court)

Monday, March 8

Game 10 - 6:30 p.m. - Winner Game 6 vs. Winner Game 7 (Summit Arena) - ESPN+

Game 11 - 8:45 p.m. - Winner Game 8 vs. Winner Game 9 (Summit Arena) - ESPN+

Tuesday, March 9

Championship Game - 6 p.m. (Summit Arena) - ESPN2

Saturday, March 6

Sunday, March 7

Monday, March 8

Tuesday, March 9

I knew the only way they could do this....is if they had two facilities. I guess the Convention Center court is close by.

Thanks for the info, Flyer. Since it does start on Friday and ends on Tuesday---those byes are even more important. If perchance you make it to the finals....and it's your third game in three days....that's a huge advantage over being your 4th game in 4 days. (As I recall, Georgia was able to pull that off---winning 4 days in a row at the SEC tourney a year or two ago).

Anyway, thanks for the info. At least this way....it does save a few hotel room days for us fans.

Edited by SUMG

Saturday, March 6

Sunday, March 7

Monday, March 8

Tuesday, March 9

Do you have a copy of the women's bracket?

As SUMG pointed out, getting a bye is now more important than ever. Before, one could argue that the schools with byes lost whatever rest advantage they had with TOO MUCH rest seeing as they had about a week off while the other schools had more of a regular midweek schedule.

Not so anymore.

Do you have a copy of the women's bracket?

Saturday, March 6

Game 1 - 9:45 a.m. - No. 4 Seed vs. No. 13 Seed (Summit Arena)

Game 2 - 10:00 a.m. - No. 5 Seed vs. No. 12 Seed (Convention Center Court)

Game 3 - 12:00 p.m. - No. 6 Seed vs. No. 11 Seed (Summit Arena)

Game 4 - 12:15 p.m. - No. 8 Seed vs. No. 9 Seed (Convention Center Court)

Game 5 - 2:30 p.m. - No. 7 Seed vs. No. 10 Seed (Convention Center Court)

Sunday, March 7

Game 6 - 12:00 p.m. - No. 1 Seed vs. Winner Game 4 (Summit Arena)

Game 7 - 12:15 p.m. - Winner Game 1 vs. Winner Game 2 (Convention Center Court)

Game 8 - 2:15 p.m. - No. 2 Seed vs. Winner Game 5 (Summit Arena)

Game 9 - 2:30 p.m. - No. 3 Seed vs. Winner Game 3 (Convention Center Court)

Monday, March 8

Game 10 - 12:00 p.m. - Winner Game 6 vs. Winner Game 7 (Summit Arena) - ESPN+

Game 11 - 2:15 p.m. - Winner Game 8 vs. Winner Game 9 (Summit Arena) - ESPN+

Tuesday, March 9

Championship Game - 1 p.m. (Summit Arena) - ESPNU

I like it. I like this a LOT.

I'm very glad we'll actually get to see all these first round games. And I'm glad that we might get more people to come out given that their team will be playing. Arkansas State fans will be buying tickets this year, and I know that hurt the SBC pocketbook last year when they didn't get a bid to Hot Springs.

Also... This probably helps our chances of getting through the tournament. We generally run a deeper rotation (at least, in recent years) and, if we earn a bye, we should have a lot more in the tank that many other teams in the league.

Either way... I'm glad I'll get to see everyone play this year.

Okay... One thing I just noticed about the schedule that I really DON'T like... Why have guys games simultaneous? Why not play guys on one court and ladies on the other?

I don't want to sound sexist or come off like I'm slagging lady b-ball... But I have pretty much zero interest in watching a non-NT womens team play. In the past, I could just skip the womens' sessions while still watching every mens game. Now, even into the quarterfinal round, there will always be two guy games happening simultaneously. And ditto for the ladies.

If they'd play men on one court and women on the other until the semis... I'd be a lot happier and I'd buy a full tournament pass like I did in Mobile. But if you're not interested in the ladies games, a tournament pass is actually a waste of money and you're better off with individual session tickets for mens games.

Argh... This seemed so great at first...

Okay... One thing I just noticed about the schedule that I really DON'T like... Why have guys games simultaneous? Why not play guys on one court and ladies on the other?

I don't want to sound sexist or come off like I'm slagging lady b-ball... But I have pretty much zero interest in watching a non-NT womens team play. In the past, I could just skip the womens' sessions while still watching every mens game. Now, even into the quarterfinal round, there will always be two guy games happening simultaneously. And ditto for the ladies.

If they'd play men on one court and women on the other until the semis... I'd be a lot happier and I'd buy a full tournament pass like I did in Mobile. But if you're not interested in the ladies games, a tournament pass is actually a waste of money and you're better off with individual session tickets for mens games.

Argh... This seemed so great at first...

I'm with you Tasty, I think having dueling Men's games for the 1st and 2nd rounds will hurt tournament pass sales as people may just pick the Men's sessions only.

The only way that men and women simultaneous (instead of dueling men's games) makes any sense at all is to avoid one school's men and women playing at the same time.

But WORST CASE, even given that one school's teams both advance to the quarterfinals, there's only a 1 in 4 chance that they'll play at the same time. And even if that does happen... it's an EASY FIX! Just get every Athletics Director to agree before the season starts to swap their game times by one slot, up or down, in the event of any school having a conflict.

Every school has an equal incentive to agree to it, because it could potentially affect anyone. And that would knock out the ONLY obstacle to Men and Women playing all day long on Saturday and Sunday.

The only benefit I see is unless NT has a very average basketball season and lands an 8 or 9 seed, you could skip out on hotel fare for Friday night and drive in for the 6:30 and onward games for Saturday night. It's something like a 5 hour trip from Dallas.

Edited by UNTFan23

The only benefit I see is unless NT has a very average basketball season and lands an 8 or 9 seed, you could skip out on hotel fare for Friday night and drive in for the 6:30 and onward games for Saturday night. It's something like a 5 hour trip from Dallas.

1) That goes against one of their stated reasons for doing this, namely that fans can now make definitive travel arrangements well in advance.

2) Doesn't help me much, as we're planning on renting a house (holding 10-12) for the week and arriving on Friday afternoon to open the place up for everyone, anyway.

When I mentioned this to my girlfriend, who's actually watched a lot of women's ball thanks to her Baylor education... Her immediate reaction was "They'd better not have North Texas and Western Kentucky playing at the same time, then."

Even women's basketball fans don't like dueling men's games!

That's what she said?

Honestly, I don't like the idea of the dueling mens/womens games much either. Guess that's the time to go get your grub on! :)

Unless it's Monday and you want BBQ.

I can't wait to be naked under one roof with all you wonderful gentlemen