Football Practice Today!

mean green d

Check this out from the blog:

The other obvious area is Riley Dodge. Call me a homer, kool-aid drinker, butt-kisser, suck-up, yes-man, or PR spin doctor but Riley is the real deal folks. His knowledge of this offense is shocking to believe, he doesn't need a play caller on the sidelines. Here's the other thing about Riley that stands out. If you were to blindfold me and have me play catch with five difference quarterbacks, any QB's, doesn't have to be on the roster. I would know which ball hit me in the chest when Riley threw it. He throws a different type of ball that just looks, feels, and is impressive to watch.

The other obvious area is Riley Dodge. Call me a homer, kool-aid drinker, butt-kisser, suck-up, yes-man, or PR spin doctor but Riley is the real deal folks. His knowledge of this offense is shocking to believe, he doesn't need a play caller on the sidelines. Here's the other thing about Riley that stands out. If you were to blindfold me and have me play catch with five difference quarterbacks, any QB's, doesn't have to be on the roster. I would know which ball hit me in the chest when Riley threw it. He throws a different type of ball that just looks, feels, and is impressive to watch.

I happen to believe that Rodge will be a damn fine QB and if he's not I'll take my lumps.....

After one practice?

Is it too much to ask to tone down the rhetoric?

Actually you're probably none of the above. Just an employee doing his job.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Rob, I can understand your skepticism about the quality of this team after a 3-21 record by this coach. But, for the first time in a long time I can actually feel some enthusiasm from this team. I hope that they don't tone down the rhetoric because hype builds enthusiasm, both by players and fans.

I can't guarantee that believing in yourself, your teammates and your coaches will win games but I can pretty well assure you that the opposite will insure losses.

We have stagnated our fanbase and I'll take overblown publicizing as opposed to the apathy of the past any day.

Edited by GrayEagleOne

But he still has to have protection. I'm more concerned about the O-line (and D-Line) than skill positions.

I hope that they don't tone down the rhetoric because hype builds enthusiasm, both by players and fans.

I can't guarantee that believing in yourself, your teammates and your coaches will win games but I can pretty well assure you that the opposite will insure losses.

We have stagnated our fanbase and I'll take overblown publicizing as opposed to the apathy of the past any day.

Amen.

The part in bold brings up a question for me. Will Todge, knowing that Rodge has been in this system for so long, allow him to audible from the line of scrimmage or will he require that Rodge, being a redshirt freshman, look to Todge for audibles?

But he still has to have protection. I'm more concerned about the O-line (and D-Line) than skill positions.

**************************************************************************************

Actually our OL is one of the strongest positions on the team. We have 8 returning OL with starting experience in:

Victor Gill, Jr. 6-4, 250

Matt Menard Jr. 6-3, 305

Gabe Hollivay Sr. 6-3, 360

Kelvin Drake Jr. 6-2, 302

JJ Johnson So 6-2, 280

Coleman Feeley So 6-4, 318

Nate Jenkins Jr 6-3, 340

Santiago Estaban Jr. 64-285

Add to that a 3* JC OT in Jeremy Bean, 6-5, 305

We have in reserve players who could redshirt or play in Freshmen Nick Leppo 6-2, 285

Freshmen John Noble 6-6, 288

Keenan Flax 6-4, 265 listed on 2nd team in fall drills ?

Last year our OL reduced sacks from last year 39 the prior year to 25 and I expect the number to decrease further this year with another years experience of our OL, and the addition of Drake and Bean. The addition of a TE for blocking as well as receiving should also help reduce sacks with resulting in increased receiving yardage.

I look for our rushing yardage to increase with the return of quality running backs by NT and an experienced OL, This would also reduce the number of sacks and make our passing game more effective. Instead of having to play walk on's as WR and with the addition of 3 JC WR's with speed, and our red shirted WR's, this experience will further inhance our running attack and yardage, at the same time our passing yardage should improve.

The part in bold brings up a question for me. Will Todge, knowing that Rodge has been in this system for so long, allow him to audible from the line of scrimmage or will he require that Rodge, being a redshirt freshman, look to Todge for audibles?

Good question - what did they do at Southlake?

Rob, I can understand your skepticism about the quality of this team after a 3-21 record by this coach. But, for the first time in a long time I can actually feel some enthusiasm from this team. I hope that they don't tone down the rhetoric because hype builds enthusiasm, both by players and fans.

I'll take quiet confidence over you (or someone else for that matter) telling me how good you are.

The fanbase needs wins. Not publicizing. I'd say we've had enough publicizing over the past two years.

But hey, hype away. Worked so far.

The ngativity of some of the posters continues to amaze me. However, it will be just that much more enjoyable to see that turn to positive when play begins. No, I do not expect a national top 10 pragram, but from what I have seen, from those close to the program that I have talked to, from the spring game and practice I saw, from the quality of quite a few of the newer players, from the added experience of both coaches and players and from the new coaches, I sense positive vibes. This team appears to me to be more "together" than it has been going back to the last couple of years of Dickey's stint at UNT. You add all that up...icluding, yes, a quality QB like Riley, and in my book that has the makings of a turn around season for the Mean Green. Be negative if you must...but don't try to lay it off as "realism" or "pragamtism" or anything else. It is what it is...a negative attitude. OK, that does not make someone a "bad person" or a "bad fan", but it does seem a bit strange...so be it. However, just be in the stands for the first home game and leave the negative attitude at home...come to cheer the Mean Green and "look for the positives"...they are there if you care to open your eyes and minds and look for them. They should be very easy to see....if you aren't looking for just the negatives, that is.

GO Mean Green...keep those posts coming and fill Fouts field for home opener...

GO MEAN GREEN!

The ngativity of some of the posters continues to amaze me. However, it will be just that much more enjoyable to see that turn to positive when play begins. No, I do not expect a national top 10 pragram, but from what I have seen, from those close to the program that I have talked to, from the spring game and practice I saw, from the quality of quite a few of the newer players, from the added experience of both coaches and players and from the new coaches, I sense positive vibes. This team appears to me to be more "together" than it has been going back to the last couple of years of Dickey's stint at UNT. You add all that up...icluding, yes, a quality QB like Riley, and in my book that has the makings of a turn around season for the Mean Green. Be negative if you must...but don't try to lay it off as "realism" or "pragamtism" or anything else. It is what it is...a negative attitude. OK, that does not make someone a "bad person" or a "bad fan", but it does seem a bit strange...so be it. However, just be in the stands for the first home game and leave the negative attitude at home...come to cheer the Mean Green and "look for the positives"...they are there if you care to open your eyes and minds and look for them. They should be very easy to see....if you aren't looking for just the negatives, that is.

GO Mean Green...keep those posts coming and fill Fouts field for home opener...

GO MEAN GREEN!

Hope your right. I'll believe it when I see it.

These are the same posts that happened before last year. Hopefully, the outcome on the football field will be different. I remain skeptical until the team shows they can compete.

One thing that has not changed is the head coach. I really hope Coach Dodge shows that he can coach on this level this year. He has not done so yet. I think even Coach Dodge would admit as much.

**************************************************************************************

Actually our OL is one of the strongest positions on the team. We have 8 returning OL with starting experience in:

Victor Gill, Jr. 6-4, 250

Matt Menard Jr. 6-3, 305

Gabe Hollivay Sr. 6-3, 360

Kelvin Drake Jr. 6-2, 302

JJ Johnson So 6-2, 280

Coleman Feeley So 6-4, 318

Nate Jenkins Jr 6-3, 340

Santiago Estaban Jr. 64-285

Add to that a 3* JC OT in Jeremy Bean, 6-5, 305

To add some perspective on this, between the 10 players in our two-deep we can count 100+ starts under their belts. That puts us in the top-10 nationally under this stat.

UTEP returns their entire 2 deep except for their all-CUSA center Felix, and they still add up about 85 starts IIRC (Phil Steele is the source of these numbers).

I look at returning experience in the trenches as one of the most consistent indicators of a team's upcoming success. With these numbers on the offensive side, and Nelson helping DeLoach in year 2 of this defensive system, there is no reason not to expect at least moderate improvement.

Any other team and I would be drooling at the idea of near lock for a bowl. But the past two years under Dodge has me in believe-it-when-I-see-it mode.

Just think: Dodge has everything he needs now to win his second FBS game! [/sarcasm]

Edited by greenminer

The Arkansas State game last year should make it clear to everyone how good our "O" line is. One sack in that game and I believe it was either the last or next to the last play of the game. ASU was touted as having one of the best "D" lines in the SBC. For the most part they are all returning. I know they will be better this year.

All of this is great, and I think it is awesome that people are getting excited. I don't want to speak for meanrob or others, but I think what we are saying is that there's very little a team can show us between now and Ball State that will change our minds. We've heard positivity for five years, and, at this point, they have no credit with me until they show that positivity translates to wins (or, at the very least, no blowout losses).

Is it good that others are excited? Yes!

Do we want UNT to have a great football team? Yes!

Will UNT actually have a great football team? Prove it September 3rd!

All of this is great, and I think it is awesome that people are getting excited. I don't want to speak for meanrob or others, but I think what we are saying is that there's very little a team can show us between now and Ball State that will change our minds. We've heard positivity for five years, and, at this point, they have no credit with me until they show that positivity translates to wins (or, at the very least, no blowout losses).

Is it good that others are excited? Yes!

Do we want UNT to have a great football team? Yes!

Will UNT actually have a great football team? Prove it September 3rd!

Actually my mind can change a bit between now and the opener. But i'll have to see it for myself at the scrimmages/practices. A blog from a unt employee isn't going to change my mind.

Like i've said before, this team could show a lot of improvement and still not have many more wins to show for it. Not something i want to say in year three but that's where we at.

And i hope Riley is all world. I'm just not going to expect that from a RS freshman. No matter what the pedigree or last name.

I believe he was doing this at Southlake Rodge's Junior year, so I doubt they change this portion of the game. Would love to see them change it, but I doubt it. I really can't wait for this season, but I must say I have little hope in it.