If Optimism (about This Season) Is Wrong

Harry

I have had a weird taste in my mouth the last several days. It is the taste of optimism. I am starting to really think this season could be it. Maybe it is Riley, maybe the Juco D-linemen, Ira Smith paired with 4 year starter Bush at the corners, solid linebackers, DeLoach, Nelson, Cam, Cantly, Drake's return, JJ and Santiago, Juco receivers, better o-line, pressure on Dodge to produce, new stadium euphoria...I don't know but I just have a gut feeling that this season is going to be one we look back and remember as being pivotal in the turnaround...

Am I alone out here?

I have had a weird taste in my mouth the last several days. It is the taste of optimism. I am starting to really think this season could be it. Maybe it is Riley, maybe the Juco D-linemen, Ira Smith paired with 4 year starter Bush at the corners, solid linebackers, DeLoach, Nelson, Cam, Cantly, Drake's return, JJ and Santiago, Juco receivers, better o-line, pressure on Dodge to produce, new stadium euphoria...I don't know but I just have a gut feeling that this season is going to be one we look back and remember as being pivotal in the turnaround...

Am I alone out here?

I'm as guilty as the next guy as I wear the rose colored glases every year. I agree, though, that Dodge has made some significant changes from the coaching staff, to on-field personel. Hell, he's even tweeked his philosophy to bring in a tight end and a second running back to his offensive scheme. I too, think that we could really see some positive changes this year.

But then again, I think that every year.

Nope you're not wrong to be optimistic. It's always nice to have a 'clean slate'/'fresh start' when approaching a new season.

Though I am a huge supporter of the program, I just prefer to be cautiously optimistic with guys like Riley, Cantly, JC D-Lineman, etc. though since they have not proven it at the D1 level yet. I do have to say that I am excited about what Riley brings to the QB position... :shifty:

Here are the keys to the season.

1. Redshirt freshmen quarterbacks usually struggle their first year out. Rodge has two advantages over most of the others; He has been running this offense since he was a fetus. He was able to see the speed of a few live college games last year as a receiver. I think the later will help him immeasurably.

2. If Stratford gets NCAA clearance to play then our current receiving corps will instantly be about twice as good. Having Rucker back helps as well.

3. Deloach has had a full year to install the defense and the boys will not be learning on the fly this year. Things will be done more on instinct and reaction this season.

4. A dedicated strength coach for the football team can only help with the conditioning of the team. It will pay off most in the 4th quarter. If you haven't seen it yet. I encourage you to go to meangreensports.com and view the interview with our new strength coach. He is impressive.

5. We have a schedule that contains only 1 bodybag game. This is a very friendly schedule that can pay dividends.

All that said. If we can win 5 games I would consider the season a success after the long nightmare we have all been through.

Edited by Eagle-96

Am I alone out here?

We go 6-6 with a surprise win here and there...I'm giddy.

I've found myself getting overly excited about this season a few times this year too. But, it seems every time I start thinking positive thoughts, someone links a story talking about how our defense was the worst in points allowed, by giving up a season total of 571 or an average of 47.6 ppg....and that our offense only scored 240 total points for the season for an average of 20 ppg, meaning that we were outscored, on average, 47 to 20. We really weren't even close in most of our games, but.....

that was last season!!!!!!

I really think Riley is going to be the catalyst to getting this offense going again and we're to win at least four games. I'd love to be in SBC title contention but I'll need to see a 3-1 start before I can believe that's possible this year.

Am I alone out here?

Each season brings with it either excitement over the anticipation of another great season (because the last one was so good) or hope and/or anticipation that things will turn around and be much better this year. We all want to see who the "new guys" are, and how they adjust to college football.....and if they will provide a spark for the rest of the team. Such is the dynamics of college football. Every year there are new people. New players, new staff, new band members etc.... all of which changes the atmosphere slighty....or sometimes greatly. I look forward to it.

I've always approached situations like this year with much interest and curiosity. I'm curious to see if Coach Dodge really understands the gravity of the situation. And if he does, I'm interested in seeing how he will come out of the corner punching......or if he comes out punching at all. Some of the best coaching I ever saw from Tom Landry was when his back was to the wall and he had to get come out of the corner swinging and do something different.....because what he had been doing was not working.

Again, I'm looking forward to it. B)

I'm going to defer to a post by Huff from over a year ago. (Before last season)

I am looking for four or five wins. We need to start having winning seasons soon. Todd Dodge can't live off of his reputation as an outstanding high school coach for much longer. Sooner or later (preferrable sooner) he will have to produce or the recruits will not continue to listen to his visions for our future.

What has been done about the CB position? It seemed the MEAN GREEN was lacking at CB last year. I really think the coach speak from RV says it all. If we can prevent blowouts and keep the games close so we have an opportunity to win in the end, then I think we will win a few. A vast improvement over last year.

On paper, this team HAS to be better than the last 2. So much experience returning on the oline, some serious talent at RB, loads of returning starters back on defense with the ridiculously overqualified Nelson coaching the dline.

That said...I am waiting until the first game to allow myself to get excited. Last year's team had as little fight in them as I've ever seen watching organized sport at any level. ATTITUDE has to change or nothing else matters.

Edited by TIgreen01

Optimism is spreading its positive vibes all over this site. Be still my heart. I think there is much to be positive about and if you attended the Cookout Saturday you felt that optimism from both the coaches and the players. Looks to me like this team and staff is ready for some "payback" and "redemption". Looking forward to a much better season than the last couple. I still say 5 wins with a good shot at 6.

GO MEAN GREEN! Less than 30 days away...bring it on!

Edited by KRAM1

Since I have yet to personally see a UNT win, I remain firmly on the platform of I'll believe it when I see it.

Coincidence? Hmmm

I have stated since Dodge came on board that he deserved a couple of years to right the ship and install his program. Plus, I also think it is ridiculous to criticize a recruiting class prior to their third year in the program. I am also optimistic and think this is the year we start to see the turn around. 4 or 5 wins for sure.

I do think we will have some improvement on the defensive end of the ball. I don't think the offense is going to be much better than it has been. I think Rodge will put up big yardage numbers, but I think it will be because we will have to pass a lot trying to catch up. Plus, he will have growing pains, too. I just haven't seen this offense get to the end zone like I expected it to (sans Navy) against good teams. If the defense and special teams are improved, though, I expect to be able to compete with the bottom-rung teams in the SBC (i.e. FIU, WKU, ULM, etc.) and Army. I think we could be improved significantly as a team this year, but we were just so bad last year that I just can't see more than 3 wins. The real question is if 3 wins would be enough to convince the administration to change coaches. I just don't know if the money is there right now. I can see a scenario where Dodge is the coach through our last year at Fouts, but the university uses the new stadium as a springboard to make a coaching "splash". I guess we'll see.