Drc Blog On Hall Of Fame Class

OldTimer

Another year without Walter Chapman. I think I will continue to bring this up every year as NT continues to ignore IMO the best player on Fry's teams. Other than that, a good class; glad to see Gales honored and also probably the best volleyball player in NT history. Wilburn also is definitely deserving.

Walter was before the internet but just to give you an idea of how good he was. http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...68/2/index.htm#

Edited by GrandGreen

Guest GrayEagleOne

For the life of me I cannot understand how Burks Washington and Walter Chapman have been left out of the HOF.

I'm right there with you on Walter Chapman. I believe that the main problem is that Walter was all-conference only one year (1974). His junior and senior seasons were played after we left the Missouri Valley Conference. Had we stayed there is no doubt in my mind that Chapman would have been all-MVC both years.

I only know of one person on the selection committee (at least I think that he still is). That person is John Love. He is a good guy and very fair. I believe that he would investigate and likely bring his name up for consideration.

I mentioned Burks Washington to him a couple of years before he was elected. I doubt that it had anything to do with his selection but if it was combined with a lot of others it could have a bearing. Maybe it could work for Walter.

I'm right there with you on Walter Chapman. I believe that the main problem is that Walter was all-conference only one year (1974). His junior and senior seasons were played after we left the Missouri Valley Conference. Had we stayed there is no doubt in my mind that Chapman would have been all-MVC both years.

I only know of one person on the selection committee (at least I think that he still is). That person is John Love. He is a good guy and very fair. I believe that he would investigate and likely bring his name up for consideration.

I mentioned Burks Washington to him a couple of years before he was elected. I doubt that it had anything to do with his selection but if it was combined with a lot of others it could have a bearing. Maybe it could work for Walter.

Chapman was obviously hindered by not being in a conference for most of his playing times as well as probably the lack of defensive stats from that era. He was also injured twice by illegal blocks by Mississippi State and missed a few games. However, the not being in a conference has not hindered other Fry players who have been named to the HOF, despite IMO not being the player Chapman was. For those that didn't follow the link in my post, it had to do with Walter being the MVC player of the week as a freshman after having 22 tackles in one game. The only other item I found on the net about Walter was about him getting 13 tackles in NT's 28-0 victory over Houston. Just for perspective, Nwigwe last year led NT with 111 tackles in twelve games and the highest total by a lineman for the year was 30 by Russo and 29 by Thomas who also was a defensive tackle. Chapman playing nose guard got almost as many tackles in one game as NT's last years leading linemen did in a whole year.

Other comparisons among defensive linemen in recent years who led the team in tackles: Jeremiah Chapman in his senior year, 78; Awasom in his senior year, 53 and Booger Kennedy in his senior year, 66. Again how can Walter continue to be ignored. He passed away years ago, but right is right; he should have inducted decades ago.

Edited by GrandGreen

I wish all the younger NT fans could have seen Walter play.

Walter was, for us "older guys', our version of Booger Kennedy.

Here is a story about NT football under Hayden Fry, with a twist of fate, regarding the Miss St game.

Fry's team was walking up and down the field on the Bob Tyler's (yes, the same Bob

Tyler who coached at NT), powerful Mississippi State team. The NT defense was stopping MS, and Walter Chapman was the reason why. Chapman was dominating their center and guard. After Chapman stopped another play, the ref called the play dead. Both teams started walking back to their huttle position.

Suddenly, I think it was their center, turned around and charged Chapman, then dove at Chapman's knees.

Only thing, the MS player hit Chapman while Chapamn had his back turned. Chapman never saw the cheap shot comming at all. Chapman dropped in his tracks, in pain, grasping his knees. Chapman was done.

The ref threw a flag, and walked of 15yds against MS. The MS player did not get kicked out of the game.

SEC refs were not going to do anything else. The hit looked to be a designed play to take Chapman out. MS ended up winning the game after Chapman was out. Hayden had quite a few words to say to Bob Tyler

after the game. Rumors came out later that Tyler did promote taking Chapman out of the game.

Later on, Bob Tyler was force out at MS, or fired. Seems there were issues with recruiting, student athletes, etc.

Well our great adminstration hired Bob Tyler, to be the new HFC at NT. I think Tyler lasted one maybe two years

then suddenly quit. To me, Tyler had no interest in NT at all. NT was just something for Tyler to do at the moment.

I wish all the younger NT fans could have seen Walter play.

Walter was, for us "older guys', our version of Booger Kennedy.

Here is a story about NT football under Hayden Fry, with a twist of fate, regarding the Miss St game.

Fry's team was walking up and down the field on the Bob Tyler's (yes, the same Bob

Tyler who coached at NT), powerful Mississippi State team. The NT defense was stopping MS, and Walter Chapman was the reason why. Chapman was dominating their center and guard. After Chapman stopped another play, the ref called the play dead. Both teams started walking back to their huttle position.

Suddenly, I think it was their center, turned around and charged Chapman, then dove at Chapman's knees.

Only thing, the MS player hit Chapman while Chapamn had his back turned. Chapman never saw the cheap shot comming at all. Chapman dropped in his tracks, in pain, grasping his knees. Chapman was done.

The ref threw a flag, and walked of 15yds against MS. The MS player did not get kicked out of the game.

SEC refs were not going to do anything else. The hit looked to be a designed play to take Chapman out. MS ended up winning the game after Chapman was out. Hayden had quite a few words to say to Bob Tyler

after the game. Rumors came out later that Tyler did promote taking Chapman out of the game.

Later on, Bob Tyler was force out at MS, or fired. Seems there were issues with recruiting, student athletes, etc.

Well our great adminstration hired Bob Tyler, to be the new HFC at NT. I think Tyler lasted one maybe two years

then suddenly quit. To me, Tyler had no interest in NT at all. NT was just something for Tyler to do at the moment.

Tyler may not have been technical fired after one year, but he would have been if he had not left. Miss State took Chapman out of the game in two straight years, and barely eked out wins that were later forfeited due I think for using ineligible players.